Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default If you're really interested in helping...

....those who are financially troubled, get on board to get the credit card
scams stopped. Here's a recent Consumer's Union letter I received. It took
less than five minutes to act on it.

***************************************
In this economy, the last thing we need is our credit card companies
jacking up interest rates or charging huge fees for no reason whatsoever.
But the law lets them do just that -- and we end up deeper in debt!

A tough House bill will end these abusive credit card company tactics. But
there are only four short weeks left to pass it before Congress adjourns
and turns its attention to re-election campaigns.

Tell your House member not to leave credit card reform unfinished this
year. ( http://tinyurl.com/5ol843 ) [Note: Tiny URL added because link
wouldn't work. John H.]

The credit card reform bill (HR 5244) is ready for a vote on the House
floor. But the deep-pocketed banking lobby wants to stall it. With so
little time left, any delay at all could put the bill back months or even
kill it.

This bill will change the way credit cards work in three big ways. It will:

Stop interest rate hikes by preventing companies from hiking rates on your
existing balance if you haven't paid late.

Make payments more fair by letting you apply a portion of your payment to
higher interest debt.

Give you more control by letting you say "no" to unexpected rate or fee
increases.
These changes will directly benefit you with lower interest costs and
greater control over those costs in the future. That's why we want to get
this bill passed by the House now.

The big banks are swarming Congress to stall this bill. Make sure your
lawmaker hears from real people, not just the bankers! Take two minutes to
take action.

Then forward this to your friends and family so they can take action. Odds
are they’ve been stung by an interest rate hike or hefty fee, too.

Sincerely,

Pamela Banks
Credit Card Reform.org
A project of Consumers Union