Default Trolling/bow thruster

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

I've been thinking of changing my Bay Ranger's bow mount trolling
motor over to wireless control for some time now. After discussing it
offline with another poster, I actually had the chance to mess around
with one this morning on a Skeeter 22i with a 250 VMax Yamaha.

Motorguide makes several models of wireless trolling motors - the one
I was using was the W75 freshwater version with the handheld
controller (there is also a foot controller).

As I was running up the boat for the dealer, I got to thinking if, say
just for giggles, I could use the trolling motor as a bow thruster
from the steering station on the Skeeter.

It worked and pretty well I might add. It took a little testing time
to get it right, but you can make the boat move exactly sideways. At
the marina where I returned the boat, there was some dock space to put
the Skeeter in, so after practicing a little bit, I put the boat
exactly between two boats with little effort.

I know it sounds silly, but that could be a handy little feature
inshore if you have a bunch of boats sitting or drifting on top of a
rock pile or school of fish. Those of us who have been in crowded
situations like that might be able to use that "side step" feature to
advantage.

The Skeeter, by the way, is a really nice boat - up until this
morning, I hadn't been out on one of the new ones, in particular the i
series - pretty good little boat.

~~ crossposted to boatingforum: http://tinyurl.com/69bzhy ~~
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

Wow...crossposted. Well, that's one way to get a boating post over
there. Good Job, Brownie.

On Sep 4, 12:10*pm, hk wrote:
[...]

there. *Good Job, Brownie.- Hide quoted text -

But earlier, hk wrote: "As for rec.boats, anytime there is any effort
to push it back on topic,
the slimeballs I mentioned push it off the cliff."

Hello there, slimeball.

~snerk~

On Sep 4, 12:20*pm, wrote:
On Sep 4, 12:10*pm, hk wrote:

[...]

~snerk~- Hide quoted text -

Harry insults like a third grader and calls anyone names who dares
call him out on his many many lies and bull****. Tom and he used to
get along fine until Tom rightfully decided to put an end to Harry's
constant bull****.

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:57:23 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|And now back to our regularly scheduled programming:
|
|I've been thinking of changing my Bay Ranger's bow mount trolling
|motor over to wireless control for some time now. After discussing it
|offline with another poster, I actually had the chance to mess around
|with one this morning on a Skeeter 22i with a 250 VMax Yamaha.
|
|Motorguide makes several models of wireless trolling motors - the one
|I was using was the W75 freshwater version with the handheld
|controller (there is also a foot controller).
|
|As I was running up the boat for the dealer, I got to thinking if, say
|just for giggles, I could use the trolling motor as a bow thruster
|from the steering station on the Skeeter.
|
|It worked and pretty well I might add. It took a little testing time
|to get it right, but you can make the boat move exactly sideways. At
|the marina where I returned the boat, there was some dock space to put
|the Skeeter in, so after practicing a little bit, I put the boat
|exactly between two boats with little effort.
|
|I know it sounds silly, but that could be a handy little feature
|inshore if you have a bunch of boats sitting or drifting on top of a
|rock pile or school of fish. Those of us who have been in crowded
|situations like that might be able to use that "side step" feature to
|advantage.
|
|The Skeeter, by the way, is a really nice boat - up until this
|morning, I hadn't been out on one of the new ones, in particular the i
|series - pretty good little boat.
|
|~~ crossposted to boatingforum: http://tinyurl.com/69bzhy ~~

I thought we had deemed Motorguide "crap" in another thread many
months ago. Improvement in quality?

--
Agent 5.00 Build 1159
Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:05:48 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I thought we had deemed Motorguide "crap" in another thread many
months ago. Improvement in quality?

Apparently so. I've read a few reports on the improvement and
Brunswick has obviously fixed some of the flaws presented under
earlier management.

I've rebuilt mine twice in eight years of heavy use - clearly the
engineering that went into it wasn't top notch. This one was fairly
rugged, everything worked right without fiddling with this and that
like you have to with mine, etc.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing mine with another.

wrote:

I thought we had deemed Motorguide "crap" in another thread many
months ago. Improvement in quality?

Apparently so. I've read a few reports on the improvement and
Brunswick has obviously fixed some of the flaws presented under
earlier management.

I've rebuilt mine twice in eight years of heavy use - clearly the
engineering that went into it wasn't top notch. This one was fairly
rugged, everything worked right without fiddling with this and that
like you have to with mine, etc.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing mine with another.

A motorguide instead of an etec...a great step up.

Bow Thruster MarshallE Boat Building 1 February 3rd 06 01:32 PM
Thruster help T.O. Cruising 10 July 1st 05 12:39 PM
Bow Thruster Help MarshallE Boat Building 4 March 11th 05 12:48 PM
Bow Thruster igavioli Boat Building 19 November 1st 04 05:45 PM
bow thruster R&A Kyle General 0 December 21st 03 07:34 PM