HK HK is offline

Default A bit of Obama's speech tonight

Senator Barack Obama will promise change -- and spells out specifics
such as tax cuts for the middle class and an end to dependence on
foreign oil in 10 years -- as he accepts the Democratic presidential
nomination tonight.

Obama also warns that Republican John McCain would mean four more years
of President Bush's flawed policies, declaring “America, we are better
than these last eight years. We are a better country than this.”.

Here are excerpts of the speech, titled "The American Promise," just
released by Obama's campaign:

“Four years ago, I stood before you and told you my story – of the brief
union between a young man from Kenya and a young woman from Kansas who
weren’t well-off or well-known, but shared a belief that in America,
their son could achieve whatever he put his mind to.

“It is that promise that has always set this country apart – that
through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual
dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that
the next generation can pursue their dreams as well.

“It is why I stand here tonight. Because for two hundred and thirty two
years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men
and women – students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and
janitors -- found the courage to keep it alive.

“We meet at one of those defining moments – a moment when our nation is
at war, our economy is in turmoil, and the American promise has been
threatened once more.

“Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for
less. More of you have lost your homes and more are watching your home
values plummet. More of you have cars you can’t afford to drive, credit
card bills you can’t afford to pay and tuition that is beyond your reach

“These challenges are not all of government’s making. But the failure to
respond is a direct result of a broken politics in Washington and the
failed presidency of George W. Bush.

“America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better
country than this.”

***

“This moment – this election – is our chance to keep, in the 21st
century, the American promise alive. Because next week, in Minnesota,
the same party that brought you two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney
will ask this country for a third. And we are here because we love this
country too much to let the next four years look just like the last
eight. On November 4th, we must stand up and say: “Eight is enough.”

“Now let there be no doubt. The Republican nominee, John McCain, has
worn the uniform of our country with bravery and distinction, and for
that we owe him our gratitude and respect. And next week, we’ll also
hear about those occasions when he’s broken with his party as evidence
that he can deliver the change that we need.

“But the record’s clear: John McCain has voted with George Bush ninety
percent of the time. Senator McCain likes to talk about judgment, but
really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush
was right more than ninety percent of the time? I don’t know about you,
but I’m not ready to take a ten percent chance on change.”

***
“You see, we Democrats have a very different measure of what constitutes
progress in this country.

“We measure progress by how many people can find a job that pays the
mortgage; whether you can put away a little extra money at the end of
each month so that you can someday watch your child receive her diploma.
We measure progress in the 23 million new jobs that were created when
Bill Clinton was President – when the average American family saw its
income go up $7,500 instead of down $2,000 like it has under George Bush.

“We measure the strength of our economy not by the number of
billionaires we have or the profits of the Fortune 500, but by whether
someone with a good idea can take a risk and start a business, or
whether the waitress who lives on tips can take a day off to look after
a sick kid without losing her job – an economy that honors the dignity
of work.

“The fundamentals we use to measure economic strength are whether we are
living up to that fundamental promise that has made this country great –
a promise that is the only reason I am standing here tonight.”

***

“That’s the promise we need to keep. That’s the change we need right
now. So let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am
President.
..
“Change means a tax code that doesn’t reward the lobbyists who wrote it,
but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it.

“Unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that
ship our jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that
create good jobs right here in America.

“I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the
start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

“I will cut taxes – cut taxes – for 95% of all working families. Because
in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on
the middle-class.

“And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our
planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will
finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East.

“Washington has been talking about our oil addiction for the last thirty
years, and John McCain has been there for twenty-six of them. In that
time, he’s said no to higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars, no to
investments in renewable energy, no to renewable fuels. And today, we
import triple the amount of oil as the day that Senator McCain took office.

“Now is the time to end this addiction, and to understand that drilling
is a stop-gap measure, not a long-term solution. Not even close.

“As President, I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal
technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. I’ll help our
auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future
are built right here in America. I’ll make it easier for the American
people to afford these new cars. And I’ll invest $150 billion over the
next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy – wind power and
solar power and the next generation of biofuels; an investment that will
lead to new industries and five million new jobs that pay well and can’t
ever be outsourced.”

***

“We are the party of Roosevelt. We are the party of Kennedy. So don’t
tell me that Democrats won’t defend this country. Don’t tell me that
Democrats won’t keep us safe. The Bush-McCain foreign policy has
squandered the legacy that generations of Americans -- Democrats and
Republicans – have built, and we are to restore that legacy.

“As Commander-in-Chief, I will never hesitate to defend this nation, but
I will only send our troops into harm’s way with a clear mission and a
sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the
care and benefits they deserve when they come home.

“I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against
al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to
meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy
that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. I will build new
partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and
nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease.
And I will restore our moral standing so that America is once more the
last, best hope for all who are called to the cause of freedom, who long
for lives of peace, and who yearn for a better future.”
--
No way, no how, no McCain!

..

On Aug 28, 8:12 pm, John H wrote:
.

We cannot afford to drive because rich Dems have sold us out to the
Saudis and will not allow us to drill. Other rich Dems (I am not rich
enough to be a Dem) like Pelosi and Gore and even the One burn fuel
like it is worth nothing flying around in their private jets. Rich
Dems are the problem and we need to take our country back from them.
Senior Member

On Aug 28, 9:33*pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:12 pm, John H wrote:

.

We cannot afford to drive because rich Dems have sold us out to the
Saudis and will not allow us to drill. *Other rich Dems (I am not rich
enough to be a Dem) like Pelosi and Gore and even the One burn fuel
like it is worth nothing flying around in their private jets. *Rich
Dems are the problem and we need to take our country back from them.

Yeah, they complain about the price of gas going up by about a buck
fifty over the first 6 years of Bush, but don't acknowledge that it
has gone up another buck fifty just since Pelosi and Reid took over
and gave us the Pelosi Premium... Hummmmm
DK DK is offline

John H wrote:
..

That was very moving. Brought a tear to my eye.

WAFA's cut and paste would have made me sick, so thanks for the moderation.

On Aug 28, 8:06*pm, hk wrote:
[...]

I promise I will..........I will do this................I will do
that............I will..............I will............I will.....

The same old same old...........blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.........

Shame on the ignorant buying into it.
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:06 pm, hk wrote:
[...]

Wait until next week, when McCain promises noun-verb-POW-taxcut-war
without end.

--
No way, no how, no McCain!

On Aug 28, 9:48*pm, hk wrote:
JimH wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:06 pm, hk wrote:
[...]

Do not turn this back onto McCain but explain the empty promises No-Ba-
Ma made tonight.........you know..........I will.........I will......I
will.............
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:48 pm, hk wrote:
JimH wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:06 pm, hk wrote:
[...]

What do you mean, explain? The acceptance speech is the time to lay out
idea and challenges, and the details will follow.

This seems pretty specific:

"I will only send our troops into harm’s way with a clear mission and a
sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the
care and benefits they deserve when they come home."

Contrast that with the current president, who started a war with no
clear mission and then after that kept redefining it, and then, along
with McCain, did whatever they could to keep from expanding benefits to
veterans.

--
No way, no how, no McCain!