HK HK is offline

Default Global warming?

TJ wrote:
hk wrote:
TJ wrote:
hk wrote:

Besides, if you wanted to know when "Christ" allegedly was born,
you'd have to consult a Hebrew calendar. :)

Ah, the word "Christ" in quotes, in that context. Explains a lot. In
fact Harry, you reveal much more by what you *don't* say than what
you do.

I'm curious, Harry. Are all liberals as filled with hatred for those
who disagree with them as you are? If so, I don't think we should
elect one. Sounds like a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen if
you ask me.

TJ

I use "Christ" in quotes because I don't believe he was the
"annointed" or "the messiah. For one thing, he did not fill all the
stated criteria of Jewish tradition. Are you aware that Jewish
tradition requires that the messiah be a human being, and not divine?
Didn't think so. But I have many other "theological" reasons.

My disbelief in Jesus as "Christ" is not based upon "hate," as you
simple-minded righties seem to so easily believe. My readings of
religious literature tell me that Jesus was a pretty cool dude. I am
most impressed by his reported compassion for the poorest among us, an
attribute *not* shared by those here who most loudly proclaim their
Christianity.

I have a relative, retired, who really follows the teachings of Jesus.
He and his wife spend almost all their time and most of their spare
money helping the hungry, the homeless, the medically needy and the
lonely, and they're not preachy. I would call him a "Christian." Too
many of the self-described "Christians" here are "I've got mine, so
screw you" Republicans.

Christianity and today's right-wing Republicanism are mutually
inconsistent.

I don't care whether you consider Jesus the Messiah as prophesied by
Judaism or not. If you must know, I have some doubts about that myself,
despite being raised as a Christian. The idea that some dude was
crucified just so I could get a get-out-of-jail-free card for heaven no
matter what I might have done with my life always seemed at odds with
the concept of being accountable for my own actions. I've always
preferred the accountability concept. I also don't care whether you are
Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, or any of a thousand or so other
religions - or if you have no religion at all. What difference is it
supposed to make?

Being the sort of person you are, of course you twisted my question into
something else, something that you preferred to answer, because the
question you wanted to answer made "Christians" look bad. My "hatred"
question wasn't simply about religion, or any other particular specific
subject. It doesn't matter what the subject is, you express hatred for
all those who disagree with you. Personally, I find it practically
impossible to hate anybody. Even you. But you do it so easily that I
must again ask if all liberals are that way. I'm just trying to
understand it, that's all.

TJ

You're reaching. I have no use for certain posters here, and, as I have
stated, I don't much care whether they live or die. That doesn't mean I
"hate" them. It only means I don't give a damn about them.

You righties are always overusing the word "hate." "Hate" does not have
the same meaning as "dislike," "no use for," et cetera.

Oh...I don't want to make "Christians" look bad. "Christians" look bad
or look good depending upon their behavior. Many of the self-professed
"Christians" here give Christianity a bad name.

Finally, *you* asked why I put the word "Christ" in quotation marks.
That was a theological question, whether you think so or not. The word
"Christ" has a specific meaning, and in the case of Jesus, I don't think
it applies. But, as I stated, I think Jesus, if such a person existed,
was a cool dude, and certainly more of an advocate of my positions
toward my fellow man than many of the self-described "Christians" who
post here.

So, tell me...are you just another mindless rightie, like so many of
those who post here?

--
No way, no how, no McCain!
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:26:14 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:18:48 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Did you read that link? "This year appears set to be the coolest
globally this century." This century started in *2000*.

And, "Even so, 2008 is set to be about the 10th warmest year since
1850".

The article is about the La Nina/El Nino temperature swing.

The Republican Party Platform for 2008 includes addressing Global
Warming.

What are they going to do, send it a post card?

--
No way, no how, no McCain!

hk wrote:

TJ wrote:

Ah, the word "Christ" in quotes, in that context. Explains a lot. In
fact Harry, you reveal much more by what you *don't* say than what
you do.

Finally, *you* asked why I put the word "Christ" in quotation marks.
That was a theological question, whether you think so or not. The word
"Christ" has a specific meaning, and in the case of Jesus, I don't think
it applies. But, as I stated, I think Jesus, if such a person existed,
was a cool dude, and certainly more of an advocate of my positions
toward my fellow man than many of the self-described "Christians" who
post here.

Check it out, Harry. There was no question there about what you put into
quotes. Just a comment. I will not debate theology with you any further.
It's not my area of expertise, and it's off-topic.

So, tell me...are you just another mindless rightie, like so many of
those who post here?

Nope. I already said once that I'm a moderate. I have little use for
extremists of any stripe. I have found most of them to be correct on one
or two things, but dead wrong on most others. I have also found some
that were dead wrong on *everything,* but I have never found one that
was correct about *everything.*

Take this for example: Remember the Obama/McCain/Hilton exchange on
energy policy? Paris Hilton's contribution was meant to be a parody of
the other two, but she actually made more sense than either extreme. If
one of the candidates would take that sensible, moderate approach to the
country's energy needs, he'd go a long way toward getting my vote. But
instead, I hear little that makes sense from either side. That really
scares me about our future, no matter who wins this race.

Notice how I pulled the thread back toward global warming?

TJ

More on Global Warming... Eisboch General 0 November 14th 07 05:42 PM
Global Warming Fix Pantomime Princess Margaret ASA 3 November 9th 07 12:32 AM
More on Global Warming RJSmithers General 63 April 10th 07 08:18 PM
More On Global Warming Gilligan ASA 0 November 17th 06 02:44 PM
OT More on Global Warming basskisser General 0 July 28th 06 05:56 PM