BoatBanter.com

-   -   Where to put the all round light (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/97010-where-put-all-round-light.html)

[email protected] August 14th 08 04:26 AM

Where to put the all round light

Before I had a bimini, I had my white all round light on a fold down
pole on the center console of my Tolman. With the Bimini, it will be
obscoured so I have to find another mounting location. I could put it
on the gunnels but this would be partially obscured by the console.
Only answer I can think of is to mount it on the Bimini frame on the
side up high. Any ideas?

Wayne.B August 14th 08 04:54 AM

Where to put the all round light

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:26:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Only answer I can think of is to mount it on the Bimini frame on the
side up high. Any ideas?

The one on my runabout is mounted on a long pole at the stern of the
boat. The pole is removable and folds in two for storage. When
mounted, it extends above the top of the bimini.

I don't see anything wrong with mounting it on your bimini frame as
long as it meets visibility requirements.

John H.[_5_] August 14th 08 12:06 PM

Where to put the all round light

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:26:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Before I had a bimini, I had my white all round light on a fold down
pole on the center console of my Tolman. With the Bimini, it will be
obscoured so I have to find another mounting location. I could put it
on the gunnels but this would be partially obscured by the console.
Only answer I can think of is to mount it on the Bimini frame on the
side up high. Any ideas?

The purpose of the bimini is for sun protection, no? In that case, when the
sun goes down, if I were going to be out on the water, I'd take down the
bimini.

If you're leaving the bimini up at night 'cause it might rain, then I'd
invest in a rain jacket.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

Wayne.B August 14th 08 03:30 PM

Where to put the all round light

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:06:03 GMT, John H.
wrote:

The purpose of the bimini is for sun protection, no? In that case, when the
sun goes down, if I were going to be out on the water, I'd take down the
bimini.

If you're leaving the bimini up at night 'cause it might rain, then I'd
invest in a rain jacket.

John, you're forgetting that we are talking about Florida here. The
sun always shines, and this time of year it always rains at least once
a day.

Biminis stay up.

D.Duck August 14th 08 04:43 PM

wrote:

The purpose of the bimini is for sun protection, no? In that case, when
the
sun goes down, if I were going to be out on the water, I'd take down the
bimini.

If you're leaving the bimini up at night 'cause it might rain, then I'd
invest in a rain jacket.

John, you're forgetting that we are talking about Florida here. The
sun always shines, and this time of year it always rains at least once
a day.

Looks like todays once a day rain here in Central Florida will last most if
not all of the daylight hours. 8)

Biminis stay up.

John H.[_5_] August 14th 08 06:35 PM

Where to put the all round light

wrote:

The purpose of the bimini is for sun protection, no? In that case, when the
sun goes down, if I were going to be out on the water, I'd take down the
bimini.

If you're leaving the bimini up at night 'cause it might rain, then I'd
invest in a rain jacket.

John, you're forgetting that we are talking about Florida here. The
sun always shines, and this time of year it always rains at least once
a day.

Biminis stay up.

If it's daytime, is an all around anchor light needed?
--
** Good Day! **

John H

Wayne.B August 14th 08 06:56 PM

Where to put the all round light

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:35:10 GMT, John H.
wrote:

If it's daytime, is an all around anchor light needed?

In limited visibility, such as rain, yes.

John H.[_5_] August 14th 08 07:03 PM

Where to put the all round light

wrote:

If it's daytime, is an all around anchor light needed?

In limited visibility, such as rain, yes.

In that case, I'd put together something with a little clamp and a plug for
a cigarette lighter. Put it up when I needed it, on the front or back of
the bimini.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

[email protected] August 14th 08 07:10 PM

wrote:

If it's daytime, is an all around anchor light needed?

In limited visibility, such as rain, yes.

In that case, I'd put together something with a little clamp and a plug for
a cigarette lighter. Put it up when I needed it, on the front or back of
the bimini.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

Actually, my Bimini only stays up in the summer but it has permanent
supports so I can walk under the collapsed and covered bimini, so I
think I can attach the light to the permanent supports. Now, can
anybody reccomend a GOOD light?

John H.[_5_] August 14th 08 08:21 PM

wrote:

If it's daytime, is an all around anchor light needed?

In limited visibility, such as rain, yes.

In that case, I'd put together something with a little clamp and a plug for
a cigarette lighter. Put it up when I needed it, on the front or back of
the bimini.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

Actually, my Bimini only stays up in the summer but it has permanent
supports so I can walk under the collapsed and covered bimini, so I
think I can attach the light to the permanent supports. Now, can
anybody reccomend a GOOD light?

I would think something like this would work.

http://tinyurl.com/635eqx

Mount it on a piece of aluminum and clamp it to the bimini top. Plug it in
to the cigarette lighter when needed. Nice and portable.
--
** Good Day! **

John H