BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat shows (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/96984-boat-shows.html)

[email protected] August 13th 08 12:33 AM

Boat shows

I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

HK August 13th 08 12:38 AM

Boat shows

wrote:
I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

Now I know who you are...you're the Brother from Another Planet.

--
"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade
and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion,

JimH[_2_] August 13th 08 12:39 AM

Boat shows

On Aug 12, 7:33*pm, wrote:
I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. *I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. *You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? *Does that make
any sense? *I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. *Is this
true? *Do you pay to go into boat shows?

In my area you pay for parking and pay to get in. I stopped going to
them.

HK August 13th 08 12:41 AM

Boat shows

JimH wrote:
On Aug 12, 7:33 pm, wrote:
I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

In my area you pay for parking and pay to get in. I stopped going to
them.

My boat dealer provides customers who want to go to local boat shows
with freebie tickets. I suspect most dealers do that.

Eisboch August 13th 08 12:42 AM

Boat shows

wrote in message
I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

The boat shows I've been to technically have a charge to get in, but
virtually every exhibitor and/or boat manufacturer give away "free" tickets.

Eisboch

Eisboch August 13th 08 12:46 AM

Boat shows

"hk" wrote in message
I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

Now I know who you are...you're the Brother from Another Planet.

I know what kind of business he's in. It's from sniffing too much thorium
fluoride.

Eisboch

Eisboch August 13th 08 12:50 AM

Boat shows

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

..... but I won't buy clothing with a logo, either....

When I was a kid I thought I was deformed. My grandmother worked at a
discount clothing store and all my underwear were marked "Irregular".

Eisboch (no joke)

JimH[_2_] August 13th 08 12:54 AM

Boat shows

On Aug 12, 7:41*pm, hk wrote:
JimH wrote:
On Aug 12, 7:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

We received VIP passes from our previous marina for a couple of
years. That stopped when we sold our boat, downsized and moved to
another marina.

The ability to cruise the show prior to the opening to the general
public was nice.........as were the free wine and appetizers.

We have not gone to the shows since then.

HK August 13th 08 01:04 AM

Boat shows

Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

..... but I won't buy clothing with a logo, either....

When I was a kid I thought I was deformed. My grandmother worked at a
discount clothing store and all my underwear were marked "Irregular".

Eisboch (no joke)

My uncle was a manufacturer's rep for a number of New England sporting
goods manufacturers. I got all sorts of "seconds." They look good to me.

Now, one of my buddies was smart enough to date the daughter of the
owner of a well-known manufacturer of men's shirts. He went out with her
all the way through high school, and was much better dressed than the
rest of us.

I know no shirts are made in New Haven anymore. But when I was growing
up, we had lots of clothing factories.

John H.[_5_] August 13th 08 01:07 AM

Boat shows

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:33:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have never been to a boat show mostly because I cannot imagine ever
buying a new boat. I was talking to someone and he mentioned paying
to get into a boat show and it didnt occur to me till later that that
was weird. You have to PAY to go look at merchandise? Does that make
any sense? I am the kind of guy who will not wear clothing with a
logo because I think the company ought to pay me to advertise for them
but paying just to look at merchandise seems truly strange. Is this
true? Do you pay to go into boat shows?

If you had bought a boat from a dealer, he'd probably give you free
tickets. But other than that, I've never been to a free one. Except for the
model boat display at the Smithsonian.
--
***** Hope your day is a little better than decent! *****

John H