Default Where in Oswego

Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. I don't
want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) Anyone know of
any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

tak tak is offline

"Jeepinit" wrote in message
Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. I
don't want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) Anyone
know of any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

Google NYS DEC for info on available places

Senior Member

On Aug 7, 12:36*pm, "Jeepinit" wrote:
Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. *I don't
want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) *Anyone know of
any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

Looks like a nice river and a few decent lakes rigtht in the area..
Put "Oswego" into googlemaps.com and click.. That's a good place to
start..

On Aug 7, 12:46*pm, wrote:
On Aug 7, 12:36*pm, "Jeepinit" wrote:

Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. *I don't
want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) *Anyone know of
any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

Looks like a nice river and a few decent lakes rigtht in the area..
Put "Oswego" into googlemaps.com and click.. That's a good place to
start..

Onandonga is noted for being the most polluted lake in the U.S. mostly
due to chlorine production and Soda Ash production.

http://www.onlakepartners.org/p1201.html

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:36:23 -0400, "Jeepinit"
wrote:

Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. I don't
want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) Anyone know of
any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

Go south on the Oswego River towards Minetto and Fulton. It is a very
scenic 12 mile ride through the NYS Barge Canal system. I believe the
lock permits are either free now or very reasonably priced. Don't be
intimidated by the locks - they are very easy to negotiate. Follow
another boat and watch their technique.

http://www.nyscanals.gov/

The other alternative is to trailer the boat further south to the
Finger Lakes region. Skaneateles Lake is the closest to Oswego and
very popular but Cayuga, Keuka and Senneca are all worth a visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaneateles_Lake

wrote:
[...]

You are not that far from lake oneida

That article states that the chlorine production plant closed in 1977. I can
assure you that they were still producing chlorine into the mid eighties. I
worked for a contractor that was hired to maintain the railroad spurs going
in and out of the plant. We had to carry respirators at all times when on
the property, and were instructed to run *into* the wind if there was a
chemical release, until you were thru the cloud. It happened more than once,
and there was always a windsock visible no matter where you were, so you
knew which way to run. Scary stuff. I had no doubt then that stuff was
running into the lake... both intentionally, and unintentionally.

--Mike

wrote in message

On Aug 7, 12:46 pm, wrote:

On Aug 7, 12:36 pm, "Jeepinit" wrote:

Hey Group!!

My Children and I are going to visits some relatives in Oswego NY. I
don't
want to go out on Lake Ontario (since I am a rookie boater) Anyone know
of
any other near Oswego lakes to go out on for the day?

1800SR Maxum

Thanks!!!

Looks like a nice river and a few decent lakes rigtht in the area..
Put "Oswego" into googlemaps.com and click.. That's a good place to
start..

Onandonga is noted for being the most polluted lake in the U.S. mostly
due to chlorine production and Soda Ash production.

http://www.onlakepartners.org/p1201.html- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I've been in the area many, many times also. The Soda Ash really
knocked the hell out of the lake, too.