BoatBanter.com

-   -   1973 6hp Evinrude Fisherman shift Handle (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/96639-1973-6hp-evinrude-fisherman-shift-handle.html)

[email protected] August 3rd 08 04:07 PM

1973 6hp Evinrude Fisherman shift Handle

Hello all,

I have to replace the cast aluminum gear shift handle on my 1973 6hp
Evinrude Fisherman.

This should be a simple job. However :

1. It is not obvious how the old broken one comes off from just
looking at it.
2. The shop manual that I have does not address this at all.
3. The Expanded parts list / parts diagram that I have looks a little
different for these parts than the motor itself.

The parts list shows part 25 (303714) "screw, lever to handle". I
can't see this screw at all on the motor.

If anyone has any experience with this particular repair, please write
back.

Thanks,
Larry

[email protected] August 3rd 08 04:28 PM

On Aug 3, 11:07*am, wrote:
Hello all,

I have to replace the cast aluminum gear shift handle on my 1973 6hp
Evinrude Fisherman.

This should be a simple job. However :

1. It is not obvious how the old broken one comes off from just
looking at it.
2. The shop manual that I have does not address this at all.
3. The Expanded parts list / parts diagram that I have looks a little
different for these parts than the motor itself.

The parts list shows part 25 (303714) "screw, lever to handle". I
can't see this screw at all on the motor.

If anyone has any experience with this particular repair, please write
back.

Thanks,
Larry

There is probably a set screw up under the handle. Look for a tiny
hole and try an Allen (6 sided) wrench..

billgran August 4th 08 12:27 AM

wrote in message
Hello all,

I have to replace the cast aluminum gear shift handle on my 1973 6hp
Evinrude Fisherman.

1. It is not obvious how the old broken one comes off from just
looking at it.
2. The shop manual that I have does not address this at all.
3. The Expanded parts list / parts diagram that I have looks a little
different for these parts than the motor itself.

The parts list shows part 25 (303714) "screw, lever to handle". I
can't see this screw at all on the motor.

Larry

You have to remove the powerhead to access the shift lever shaft, clevis,
and screw.

Bill Grannis
service manager

[email protected] August 4th 08 12:47 PM

On Aug 3, 7:27 pm, "Billgran" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello all,

I have to replace the cast aluminum gear shift handle on my 1973 6hp
Evinrude Fisherman.

1. It is not obvious how the old broken one comes off from just
looking at it.
2. The shop manual that I have does not address this at all.
3. The Expanded parts list / parts diagram that I have looks a little
different for these parts than the motor itself.

The parts list shows part 25 (303714) "screw, lever to handle". I
can't see this screw at all on the motor.

Larry

You have to remove the powerhead to access the shift lever shaft, clevis,
and screw.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Bill,

Thank you so much for the reply. That's what I was afraid of:
that I'd have to remove the powerhead.

The Seloc Publications "Tune Up and Repair Manual" that I have does
not detail how to do this. Or at least I cannot find these
instructions yet. It seems that the manual skips over the actual
removal of the powerhead from the exhaust housing calling it a
"preliminary task" and then gets into specific powerhead repairs.

Looking at the exploded parts list, it looks like there are 5 or 6
"short screws" that go through the exhaust housing from below into the
bottom of the powerhead.

But then what? Is it that simple?
Should the head then just pull away from the lower housing?
What other parts am I likely to need along the way?

It looks like I will need the large "exhaust housing gasket", at
least.

If this is too complicated to convey here, thank you anyway. Any
pointers would be helpful, to say the least.

This is an old motor, obviously, but it still purrs along. I've had
it since it was new, doing maintenance and repairs myself, though
nothing as complicated as removing the powerhead.

I can still grip the stub of the shift handle with a pliers and change
gears. I feel like a fool; I let the motor fall over onto the ground,
this past weekend, and the shift handle broke.

Thanks again,
Larry

billgran August 4th 08 01:37 PM

wrote in message

Bill,

Thank you so much for the reply. That's what I was afraid of:
that I'd have to remove the powerhead.

Thanks again,
Larry

Go to www.shop.evinrude.com, click on the parts lists, scroll down to 1973,
then click on 6hp and exhaust housing

Bill Grannis
service manager

[email protected] August 4th 08 05:06 PM

On Aug 4, 8:37 am, "Billgran" wrote:
wrote in message

Bill,

Thank you so much for the reply. That's what I was afraid of:
that I'd have to remove the powerhead.

Thanks again,
Larry

Go towww.shop.evinrude.com, click on the parts lists, scroll down to 1973,
then click on 6hp and exhaust housing

Bill Grannis
service manager

Bill,
Thanks again for the quick response. As I said previously, I have a
hard copy of the same parts list/diagram as shown on this web site. I
was asking if you had any actual experience with this particular
repair and what I could expect if I decided to tackle it. Will the
powerhead really come away from the exhaust housing easily if I take
the 4 or 5 bolts off and what additional parts I might need. That sort
of thing.
Thanks,
Ken