Default We had a good night at the photo competition

RG wrote:
Russ,

I hope I can take photos half as nice as the ones you posted online.

I am going out to the Sierra Nevada mountains to attend a photography
workshop of Bodie/ Mono Lake /and the Eastern Sierra.
http://www.pbase.com/davewyman/sierr...east_side_2006

After the seminar I am traveling west with the instructors towards
Yosemite. While their Yosemite was booked, they planned on taking photos
on the way to Yosemite, and they told me I could tag along. So hopefully
after a week, I can take a decent photo or two.

Can you post your link of your SW photobook?

I took a 4,000 mile 16-day photography-based road trip through California
and Southern Oregon this June that includes the areas you mention. Part of
the trip included the run up highway 395 from Southern California to Lake
Tahoe. I'd be interested in learning more about your driving route, and I
could definitely offer some pointers. Some highlights in the area:

1. Just to the east of Bishop, CA are the ancient Bristlecone pines in the
White Mountains. Although it means hiking at elevations from 10,000-11,000
feet, these trees are certainly worth the effort. Google Bristlecone pines
and read about these fascinating ancient sentinels.

2. While in Bishop, be sure and stop at the Mountain Light Gallery. This
is the gallery established by Galen and Barbara Rowell, and it is right on
hwy 395 in the middle of town. It is a wonderful facility with many of
Galen's outstanding photos as well as work by other terrific guest
photographers. Lots of very high quality large prints on display (and all
for sale). http://www.mountainlight.com/

3. Mono Lake, although useless for just about any other purpose is a
must-do photography stop. I shot two sunsets and one sunrise there. One of
the more famous Mono Lake photos was included in the artwork for Pink
Floyd's Wish You Were Here album. Hipgnosis added a body diving into the
lake with the tufa columns in the background, resulting in yet another
classic with the Hipgnosis touch.

If the Yosemite trip is anytime soon, it will be an entire bust as a
photography shoot due to the wildfires in the area. On my way home in June,
I was driving down highway 99 in the San Joaquin Valley and had some extra
time on my hands. I didn't include Yosemite in my itinerary for this trip,
because the crowds this time of year are unbearable. But I figured I would
jog over for a quick drive-through. At this time, most the California
wildfires were hundreds of miles to the north in the Trinity National Forest
west of Redding. I had just come through them the day before. In fact,
they had just re-opened hwy 36 from Fortuna to Red Bluff the day I was
scheduled to drive it. But the haze had covered the entire San Joaquin
Valley, and had drifted into the Yosemite Valley. Visibility was just
awful. Standing at Glacier Point, you could barely see Half-Dome. I can
only imagine how bad it must be now, since there is currently a major fire
just outside the park near the hwy 140 entrance. The big question for you
is whether the smoke has drifted over the Sierras and polluted the Eastern
Slopes and Owens Valley (where Bishop and Mono Lake are). I would be making
some phone calls to the area to find out. I'd start with a phone call to
the Inyo National Forest ranger station in Bishop. If your trip is soon,
and if the smoke has crossed over the Sierras, it might be best to abort.

Let me know more about you itinerary, and I'll zip up some photos from my
recent trip that coincide with your plans and get them posted. I shot just
over 1,800 exposures on this trip, many of which were bracketed exposures,
and have them all culled and edited to around 350 photos. I intend to do
another eBook later this year, after hopefully another outing or two. Once
I learn more about your trip and collect the appropriate photos and post
them, I'll also re-post last year's eBook and send you links. I'll need
your email address. Do you still have mine?

The trip is not till Oct. 15th - 23 or so. Hopefully the fires will be
over by then.

I sent you email to your cox address so you should have it by now.

Default OT : We had a good night at the photo competition

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 09:16:56 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

My wife and I took home 4 ribbons last night's photo competition.

There were about about 75 B&W, 100 color print and digital photos
submitted for the 3 different categories. You are allowed to submit up
to 2 photos for B&W and Color and one photo for the Digital Submission.
I was blown away that we took home one Honorable Mention, one 4th
place, one 3rd place and a 2nd Place.

2nd place

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...rent=2ndbw.jpg

I touched this up some after the comments made in rec.boats. I do
appreciate your help.

Yes. It's stunning.

4th Place I almost didn't submit this one, I thought there would be a
ton of similar photos.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=4thplace.jpg

Another nice photo.

A photo, I really liked, but it did not ribbon. The pro thought it
would be a much better photo if the girl was interacting with the
penguin. I thought her shy look made the photo.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...twascute. jpg

I think I'd have to agree with the pro. It looks like too much dead space
in the middle of the photo.

An ordinary flower and bee photo that my wife said I should submit. No
ribbon.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...=noribbon1.jpg

My wife's two ribbon photos.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...fe3rdplace.jpg
http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...blemention.jpg

She's obviously having a ball with her D50! Very nice photos. My wife
hasn't used her D50 much, complaining that it's too big. Plus, she's always
making me lug the D200.

What lens was your wife using?

wrote:

[...]

The bird was the Nikon 70-200mm VR with a 1.7 converter. The horse was
the 70-200mm VR. I think the flower/spider photo was a Nikon 105mm VR
macro. I purchased another 18-200mm because we both wanted to use that
lens. If you really need a fast lens, the 70-200 is great, but the
18-200 is much easier to lug around.

wrote:

[...]

I've got the 18-200 and love it. Now that Nikon fixed the focus problems it
works well.

That 70-200 is a beautiful lens, if this is the one;

http://www.diduprice.com/stores.asp?productid=2139

But, it is a little on the big side. I've not taken it on any trips. Your
trip out west, that you mentioned to Russ, sounds like fun.

Retirement is a bitch. So little time, so many things to do!

wrote:

[...]

That is the lens, and for wildlife photos she really needs the fast
lens, and you definitely need to
F2.8 with the teleconverter. But it is one heavy lens.

wrote:

My wife and I took home 4 ribbons last night's photo competition.

There were about about 75 B&W, 100 color print and digital photos
submitted for the 3 different categories. You are allowed to submit up
to 2 photos for B&W and Color and one photo for the Digital Submission.
I was blown away that we took home one Honorable Mention, one 4th
place, one 3rd place and a 2nd Place.

2nd place

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...rent=2ndbw.jpg

I touched this up some after the comments made in rec.boats. I do
appreciate your help.

I'd like to see what the First Place photo was - you did a nice job
tweaking that image. The gray scaling is brilliant - you have a nice
feel for graduation and impression.

No offense, I still think you've done better work though - in
particular with your initial portraits.

4th Place I almost didn't submit this one, I thought there would be a
ton of similar photos.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=4thplace.jpg

A photo, I really liked, but it did not ribbon. The pro thought it
would be a much better photo if the girl was interacting with the
penguin. I thought her shy look made the photo.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...twascute. jpg

You can see what he's talking about by comparing the two images. The
gorilla is interacting with something on camera - the girl is
interacting with something off camera.

The second problem with the penguin image is that there are two
subjects - the girl and the penguin. There is nothing to link the two
together - zip, nada.

He's dead on with that critique.

For reference, look back at your initial efforts with the portraits at
the Atlanta fountain and environs. Those, while initial, were simply
outstanding because they showed some sort of "story" - there was
interaction between the environment and the individuals. Even in the
single framed portraits, the subjects were inteacting with you which
was a very obvious impression when the images were tweaked.

An ordinary flower and bee photo that my wife said I should submit. No
ribbon.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...=noribbon1.jpg

Deservedly so I would say - there is nothing special about that image.

My wife's two ribbon photos.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...fe3rdplace.jpg
http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...blemention.jpg

This is something that annoys the heck out of me - the extreme framing
right or left. It works somewhat with the bird because of the branch
being in focus and at a slight angle to the rest of the frame - gives
you some reference points.

I've always gone with the thirds protocol in situations like this -
you divide the framing up into thirds and if you are going to offset
the image right or left, tend to keep the subject in focus towards the
middle of the second third (right or left).

Having said that, I think it would have been a much better image if
the bird had been moved left more towards the center of the frame
still keeping in within the 2nd third of the image (if divided into
thirds) and the background branch cloned out as it's distracting from
the subject - in my opinion.

Same with the spider on the flower which I don't like at all - too
much blank space to the left. I think it would have worked much
better if Mrs. Reggie had used a macro lens and got right in there
with the spider using the flower as background.

To be honest, you've done better work - the marina pier lights would
have been a winner even converted to B&W. And you might want to try
that montage/collage deal with the horse next contest - graduated
images are always interesting.

And having said all that, I've got to hand it to you - you have a gift
for this - congratulations.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

What "photo contest" was it?

wrote:

[...]

Have no idea - take him at his word.

You want to know - ask him.

wrote:

[...]

I'm not that interested in competitions that value overphotoshopped
"photography." If I wanted surrealism, I'd let the Seven Dwarfs out of
the bozo bin here.
Senior Member

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n...ction=view&cur...

[...]

the bozo bin here.- Hide quoted text -

You have nothing to say here, we have seen your work, it's worse than
mine and I don't even try...