Bill Kiene

Default 1979 Merc 20 HP shifting backwards

Around these parts, that 25 year old motor would be worth about $100 at the
most.

Some boat dealers are trying to sell old used 2 strokes for twice as much as
they are worth.

Those light little 20hp Mercs were a great motor though.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hey Will,
There is something fishy going on here. I would throw that one back.

Capt. Frank

Will Saari wrote:

Hello All

Looking for some advice. A local dealer has a good deal on a 1979 20HP

Merc.
The motor shifts backwards, ie. when the shift lever on the motor is

pulled
forwards the prop spins in reverse and vice versa. The salesman is

trying to
tell me that it's because they installed a newer bottom end on the motor
that had a different linkage set-up. Is this possible? Or did a mechanic
install a gear set backwards and thjey're just too lazy to change it?

Thanks

Will

whenindoubt

My 80hp merc did the same thing. If the lower unit is installed wrong, the
linkage works in reverse. It has to be assembled correctly. I would avoid
that motor and dealer.