Default white inlay on decks

What would anyone suggest to use to fill the groves in the deck of an
antique boat. I have an old wood boat that has those groves with some type
of white material in it, on the deck. They shellacked the deck over the
white material and the shellac is not adhering and there are chucks out, so
I need to re "caulk"

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
What would anyone suggest to use to fill the groves in the deck of an
antique boat. I have an old wood boat that has those groves with some
type of white material in it, on the deck. They shellacked the deck over
the white material and the shellac is not adhering and there are chucks
out, so I need to re "caulk"

I don't know if a special filler is used or what it is, if any.

Our Grand Banks had black filler between the outside teak deck planks. I
replaced a rotted plank on one of the lazaret hatches and used black silicon
rubber to replace the filler. Once it dried and aged a bit, you couldn't
distinguish it from the rest of the deck filler.

Eisboch

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:38:53 -0400, "Paul Fisher"
wrote:

What would anyone suggest to use to fill the groves in the deck of an
antique boat. I have an old wood boat that has those groves with some type
of white material in it, on the deck. They shellacked the deck over the
white material and the shellac is not adhering and there are chucks out, so
I need to re "caulk"

Don't know what kind of boat it is, but some of the folks on this forum may
be able to help:

http://www.chris-craft.org/index.php
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
What would anyone suggest to use to fill the groves in the deck of an
antique boat. I have an old wood boat that has those groves with some
type of white material in it, on the deck. They shellacked the deck over
the white material and the shellac is not adhering and there are chucks
out, so I need to re "caulk"

I don't know if a special filler is used or what it is, if any.

Our Grand Banks had black filler between the outside teak deck planks. I
replaced a rotted plank on one of the lazaret hatches and used black silicon
rubber to replace the filler. Once it dried and aged a bit, you couldn't
distinguish it from the rest of the deck filler.

Eisboch

What's needed is a permanently elastic marine deck caulk. There are
several manufacturers. One of my first "jobs" at my father's boat store
when I was about nine or 10 was putting decorative caulk in the seams of
front decks on Wolverine boats. We never shellacked those decorative
"stripes."

We used white caulk. Looked pretty.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:19:36 -0400, HK wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:05:58 -0400, HK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..

Most of what you fellows do, 24-7, is either fling juvenile insults,
discuss subjects that have nothing to do with any aspect or boating, or
act like idiots.

Because of you and your dwarfs, I simply gave up on this place as a
forum for boating discussions, and I freely admit I show up mainly to
watch the aberrant behavior of you and your buddies.

If all you did was "watch", a good chunk of the problem would go away.
You don't "watch". You (and others) pounce upon certain individuals
regardless of the subject of their posts or to whom they are addressed.

The only way to restore rec.boats to something other than a personal
insult free-for-all would be for everybody to retire the past, forget
about old issues and conflicts, and post as if all were meeting for the
first time. Problem is, it would require 100% participation and that just
isn't going to happen.

Eisboch

tell you what, Richard, as an old Westvillian to an aging Amityite, you
work assiduously on getting the seven dwarfs to behave and I'll work on
the rest.

how's that?

No thanks. It would be like trying to solve a Catch-22.

*I* can't fix it. *You* can't fix it. But if all the participants were
seriously motivated and committed to reviving rec.boats to it's former
glory, it can be done by simply resisting the urge to post idiotic
claims/counterclaims.

It can't be "my" rules .... "your" rules or anybody else's "rules".

Eisboch

Well, then, I go back to my original post on this to you...that as a
boating newsgroup, this place is lost, and that I show up mainly to
watch the aberrant behavior of the seven dwarfs and (as you mentioned)
to crap on one of their heads from time to time.

None of the seven, so far as I can tell, has the slightest interest in
boating related subjects or, if they do, they seem incapable of making
any but the most empty headed of posts (e.g., I took my kid wakeboarding
yesterday, or, I took my 93 grandchildren on a cruise).

So...

Harry, your statement, "I show up mainly to watch aberrant behavior...", is
belied by the sheer quantity of attack posts you make here.

I am willing to make you a deal. I will make no posts on Chuck's Island if
you make no more than one more post here, in answer to this one.

Look what you'd have to gain!

Deal.

Not that you had anything to add, boating-wise, there or here.

On Jul 15, 6:42*am, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

We used white caulk. Looked pretty.- Hide quoted text -

Liar.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
What would anyone suggest to use to fill the groves in the deck of an
antique boat. I have an old wood boat that has those groves with some
type of white material in it, on the deck. They shellacked the deck over
the white material and the shellac is not adhering and there are chucks
out, so I need to re "caulk"

I don't know if a special filler is used or what it is, if any.

Our Grand Banks had black filler between the outside teak deck planks. I
replaced a rotted plank on one of the lazaret hatches and used black
silicon rubber to replace the filler. Once it dried and aged a bit, you
couldn't distinguish it from the rest of the deck filler.

Eisboch

I should add.....

Dow Corning makes many types of silicon. The type I used was not an
"adhesive", but rather was the type that remains flexible and pliable after
curing.

Eisboch

nets on man o war decks Kruger cmpq Tall Ship Photos 7 April 26th 08 12:06 PM
New teak decks over old teak decks Island Teak Boat Building 25 January 10th 08 05:26 PM
Decks Olje - Is it really different? Roger Long Cruising 4 April 8th 06 11:45 PM
Topsides and Decks Maxprop ASA 12 March 29th 06 04:01 PM
Topsides and Decks katy ASA 0 March 25th 06 02:42 PM