Default 73 sidewinder HELP PLEASE!

Hello. So my gf and I asked to have her grandparents boat because no
one has used it in 20 years or so. After doing some research we found
out just a little about the boat because there is like nothing out
there about it. The boat is a 1973 Deep-Vee Sidewinder (17-19 foot...
not sure which) with a 165 MerCruiser motor. It says that it seats 6
people at 150 lbs a person. It sat outside in the backyard for around
for 18 years without a cover. The seats are totally worn away along
with the paint. The floor has also seen better days. Does anyone know
anything about these boats or where I can go to get new seats and
floor for it? Any information would be very helpful. Thanks
Ian

Here are some photos.
http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/l...winder%20Boat/

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatForumz.com/73-sidewin...pict21100.html
Jim Jim is offline

"96dsmtunr" wrote in message
news:147818_41d0e7050dc5f7a27a84680ff04d629f@boatf orumz.com...
[...]

Please say you are kidding. I didn't see anything on that boat that was
salvageable.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 02:23:36 -0500, 96dsmtunr wrote:

Hello. So my gf and I asked to have her grandparents boat because no
one has used it in 20 years or so. After doing some research we found
out just a little about the boat because there is like nothing out
there about it. The boat is a 1973 Deep-Vee Sidewinder (17-19 foot...
not sure which) with a 165 MerCruiser motor. It says that it seats 6
people at 150 lbs a person. It sat outside in the backyard for around
for 18 years without a cover. The seats are totally worn away along
with the paint. The floor has also seen better days. Does anyone know
anything about these boats or where I can go to get new seats and
floor for it? Any information would be very helpful. Thanks
Ian

Here are some photos.
http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/l...winder%20Boat/

Well, it you wanted a project, you have definetly found one.

The question is if it's worth it.

I'd start with the engine - which is probably full of water and siezed
up. Drain the oil and check it's condition - changes are it will look
like mocha coffee. If it's light coffee colored, or more water drains
out of the oil pan before the oil drains out, it's junk. If it's dark
and clear with no water in the bottom of the oil pan, then move to
trying to turn it over. Remove the plugs, squirt some oil in the
cylinders and see ifyou can turn it over - not start it, just turn it
over. If it won't turn over, the engine has siezed and is junk. It's
most likely junk anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Assuming that the engine is still good, you've got the problem of the
transom - it's probably soft and will need replacement. Grab the
outdrive and move it up and down - if it moves at all, it's junk and
needs replacement.

With respect to the floor, there are probably more problems under the
floor - bad stringers which will have to be replaced, engine mounts,
and you will never find exact replacement seats which will mean some
custom work if you want to put it to original or hodge podge
replacement of seats and interior.

Personally, take it to the dump - it's really not going to be worth
it.