Senior Member

Default Ok, you want some frekin' boats?

I am about to embark in another boat building project. I have decided
to do it here as opposed to wrecked.boats.builders for a couple of
reasons.
1 I am JustWait, I can do whatever I want
The builders group would probably be pretty bored with such a knock
down build.
I know there would probably be folks here who would appreciate
watching a backyard build.
and fourth, I am JustWait, I can do whatever I want.

Anyway. Step one is to order some goo, you really don't want to buy
this stuff a gallon at a time. I am going to go he
http://raka.com/EpoxyPricing.html
and order a standard 3 gallon kit and he
http://raka.com/FiberglassTape.html
for a 6 inch by 50 yard roll of 10 oz fiberglass tape for the edges
and butt joints.

Next I will go he
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=294
and get three or four boxes of ringnails, for this boat I will use a
lot of 2inch and 1 1/2 inch nails.

I have no connection with these guys except I buy my material from
them.

Now for the wood. I will get 7 sheets of plywood for the hull.
4@1/2inch and 3@3/4inch. I will also need a bunch of standard framing
material. A 4x4 for the stem, 2@1x4 for the chinelogs, 2@2x6 for the
sheet clamp rails (gunnels) another 16 footer for the keel, and a 2x4
or two for floor rails and non-detailed interior framing.

I will keep you all posted and do pics so stick around. Anyone who
feels this does not belong here, please contact the forum moderator

Trolls will be ignored, although they can feel free to make idiots of
themselves climbing the curtains

Scotty
HK HK is offline

wrote:
[...]

These people build interesting boats:

http://www.greatlakesboatbuilding.org/
Senior Member

On Jun 3, 9:47*am, wrote:
[...]

Almost forgot, I will also be using a sheet of 6 oz fiberglass cloth
between the two sheets of plywood that will make up the Transom. I am
of the opinion that you don't glue wood to wood, you glue wood to
fiberglass, more on that later.

Scotty

wrote in message
[...]

I'll look forward to this. I've ordered more than one set of various boat
plans and actually started a sailboat before I abandoned the project and
bought a store-made boat.
BTW did you receive JohnHs permission in advance to post this on topic
project.

Senior Member

On Jun 3, 10:03*am, "Don White" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

That's a big problem for folks. Especially those of us who have
attention problems Hundreds of thousands of folks have bought boat
plans over the years, maybe 3% ever complete the build if I were to
take a guess. In your case, the boat was probably more complicated
than you had the time, or inclination to finish.. There are many
partials to be had everywhere. This build is different in that with a
little attention, a decent carpenter could build one in a week or two,
for less than 500 bucks. It's not pretty, but anybody with high school
shop a skill saw and a backyard can build one in a few weeks..

And just to address another question posed in another thread. Why am I
not building a "nicer" boat. I will address that once, here, hope you
are all paying attention
Health, lack of proper facility, budget, time... in that order.

Thanks again for your time, Scotty

On Jun 3, 9:47*am, wrote:
[...]

It's about damned time! I want to learn from you so that I can make a
Brockway!!!
Senior Member

On Jun 3, 10:47*am, wrote:

[...]

That's what it's all about.. There is nothing like the feeling you get
when you wet a hull of your own hand.

On Jun 3, 10:52*am, wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:47*am, wrote:

On Jun 3, 9:47*am, wrote:

[...]

when you wet a hull of your own hand.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, the links you posted aren't working for me, wonder why?

On Jun 3, 10:52*am, wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:47*am, wrote:

On Jun 3, 9:47*am, wrote:

[...]

Never mind, working now.