Dionysus Feldman

Default Why don't people anchor

Why doesn't anyone anchor? Is there a law against anchoring off a
beach? Is there some kind of time-limit? I know people do this in
parts of the Caribbean, but what about Lake Michigan?

I realize the advantages that shore power, docks, etc bring, but are
those the only reasons?
Jim

Darn spell check. Waist deep, not waste deep.

"Jim" wrote in message
.net...
We do it all the time. Put out a 4:1 rode, tie off after ending up in waist deep (at
the stern water), set a stern anchor (stern to the beach) and enjoy the water and
beach.
"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
Why doesn't anyone anchor? Is there a law against anchoring off a
beach? Is there some kind of time-limit? I know people do this in
parts of the Caribbean, but what about Lake Michigan?

I realize the advantages that shore power, docks, etc bring, but are
those the only reasons?

We do it all the time. Put out a 4:1 rode, tie off after ending up in waste deep (at
the stern) water, set a stern anchor (stern to the beach) and enjoy the day in the
water and on the beach.

If we are on the hook overnight we normally put out an 8:1 rode, put on our anchor
light and float a life jacket on the anchor line. We will only do it in protected
coves and with a good study of the projected winds and weather. We also keep the VHF
radio on scan so it picks up any weather alerts.

Nothing nicer than waking up in the morning all by yourself on the water on the boat.
Nothing can beat that first cup of coffee while watching the sunrise over the water
while listening to the gulls.

Gould 0738

Darn spell check. Waist deep, not waste deep.

"And lead us not into temptation....." :-)
del cecchi

"DSK" wrote in message
Dionysus Feldman wrote:

Why doesn't anyone anchor?

Huh? Lots and lots of boats anchor out.

Is there a law against anchoring off a
beach?

Depends. FWIW all navigable waters (ie places you can drive a boat big
enough to spend the night on) are under Federal jurisdiction, meaning
that any prohibition on anchoring has to come from either the USCG or
the Treasury Dept. However, in actual practice, lots of communities

have
made & enforced local 'no anchoring' zones.

That is simply not true. Only a few of Minnesota's lakes if any are
under federal jurisdiction, and that is limited.
So clearly you don't know what you are talking about with respect to
freshwater lakes. The coast guard does have some authority on the great
lakes.

del cecchi

LaBomba182

Subject: Why don't people anchor
From: (Gould 0738)

Darn spell check. Waist deep, not waste deep.

"And lead us not into temptation....." :-)

Leads us not into interpretation.

Capt. Bill

DSK

del cecchi wrote:
That is simply not true. Only a few of Minnesota's lakes if any are
under federal jurisdiction, and that is limited.

Sorry, I should have added "connected with the ocean or other states
waterways." The concept of 'navigable waterways' is that one can travel long
distances by water. On lakes that don't cross a state border, the Feds have
no claim to any jurisdiction.

So clearly you don't know what you are talking about with respect to
freshwater lakes.

Clearly, you might be right except that you don't know what you're talking
about with respect to what I do or don't know

The coast guard does have some authority on the great
lakes.

What I said.

Sorry about the mistake in my earlier post.

DSK

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
anchor shackle size Bill Mc General 3 July 29th 03 09:46 PM
Some people are easily amused. Ðon ßailey General 0 July 21st 03 06:09 PM
Article about BushCo use of words Doug Kanter General 36 July 17th 03 10:47 PM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM