Default TCW III Oil Testing

"Billgran" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message

Bill, I just bought a new Key West with a Yamaha 150 hp 4 stroke. In
your
opinion, should I even consider using an oil other than the Yamaha oil
recommended for the engine?

If you want to use a different oil, choose another outboard
manufacturer's oil as your first choice. OB companies formulate their
lubricants for better carbon cleaning and longer engine life.
Aftermarket TC-W3 oils are enough to keep your warranty in force, but
remember that they are made for a price point, and may just meet the
TC-W3 requirements. One test allows for 14% scuffing of the piston
diameter to pass, so an oil that only scuffs 12% of the piston can say
theirs EXCEEDS the TC-W3 specs. the OEM oils do not allow any scuffing
in that test. Think about it, if all the oils were the same price per
gallon, would you use the manufacture's designed oil or an
off-the-shelf brand?

I'm not saying other oils are bad, but they may not perform as well as
an OEM one, especially in the carbon cleaning department. Oil opinions
have always been a can of worms, just like discussions on religion and
politics.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Does the TC-W3 spec also apply to 4 strokes, as the original question was
about 4 strokes.?

"Billgran" wrote in message

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

Does the TC-W3 spec also apply to 4 strokes, as the original question
was about 4 strokes.?

Hi Del,

It's been a while.

This hijacked thread was originally about TC-W3 oils and I mis-read a
post that inserted a question about 4 stroke lubes. I made the
correction a few posts back, but you must have missed that one.

Bill Grannis
service manager

yes, saw it later. Sorry about that. The whole oil thing is obscure and
an exercise in marketing. I presume the outboard companies and the oil
companies have good data but they don't seem to be making it public.

del

I have posted good data. What is posted is a list of ingredients found
in the 2 cycle oil I sent in. The only "major" difference is mercury
and yamaha have molybdenum added. All the other stuff in there is a
detergent or lubricant.

On May 4, 11:25 pm, "Del Cecchi"

"Paul" wrote in message
I have posted good data. What is posted is a list of ingredients found
in the 2 cycle oil I sent in. The only "major" difference is mercury
and yamaha have molybdenum added. All the other stuff in there is a
detergent or lubricant.

Sorry. didn't mean to dis your data. What I meant was that good
Performance Data is hard to get. That is, how well the various oils
work.

del

On May 6, 9:26 pm, "Del Cecchi" wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

...I have posted good data. What is posted is a list of ingredients found
in the 2 cycle oil I sent in. The only "major" difference is mercury
and yamaha have molybdenum added. All the other stuff in there is a
detergent or lubricant.

Sorry. didn't mean to dis your data. What I meant was that good
Performance Data is hard to get. That is, how well the various oils
work.

del

Del,

No problem. My guess since they are all just about identical they
shoul dperform pretty much the same.

Paul

testing Your name Cruising 0 April 13th 07 02:31 PM
Testing? Clams Canino General 2 December 13th 06 01:27 AM
testing Boat Building 1 June 20th 06 01:30 AM
testing Cruising 1 June 18th 06 04:42 AM
testing boatlover General 1 October 3rd 03 09:34 PM