NOYB

Default OT...and a little bit on-topic

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

NOYB wrote:

Ask him his political affiliation. No dentist I know makes it a habit of
discussing politics, religion, etc. with his/her patients. I certainly
don't. I get people from both sides of the political spectrum...and both
sides get the same response when they say something extreme or

outlandish.
I just smile, nod, and tell 'em to open. Hell, if you vacation and get a
tootache in Naples one day, *you* could sit in my chair and never even

know
it. Hard as it might be to imagine, I'd even treat Harry with utmost
respect and professionalism.

Will the real Dr. NOYB please stand up?
You have the entire panel confused on this, the 2,457th editon of "What's

My
Conservative Rec.boats Line?"

From the archives, last March. Cut 'n paste:

*******************
When I know a patient is of the liberal, ultra left-wing pursuasion, I nod
my head when they spew their liberal rhetoric...until I have them laid

back
in the chair, with a rubber dam covering their mouth, and an air driven
handpiece turning at 200,000 RPM. Then the fun begins. I get to go on

and
on about my thoughts on Miguel Estrada, the coming war with Iraq, Bush's
success against al Qaeda, my dislike for liberals, etc, etc. That's the
best way to assure that I won't have them or any of their liberal comrades
back in my office anytime soon. It was especially fun immediately

following
the 2000 Presidential election.

*****************************

Somehow, I suspect the version of your chairside manner related today is

closer
to the truth than the cut and paste paragraph.
I'd like to imagine so.

Unfortunately, the version posted today is the more accurate description of
how all but a couple of patients are treated in my office. The "cut and
paste" you have above is a very good "gotcha", however...I commend you for
it. Perhaps you can have Time Russert's job when he's done with it. ;-)

The 2000 election was an interesting time. I did let political discussions
enter into the conversations, since that's all anyone was talking about. If
someone said something I strongly disagreed with, then usually I just smiled
and nodded my head. Once they were sitting back, I occasionally added my 2
cents...usually in just a passing one or two sentence comment. It was my
way of saying "you and I aren't on the same page here...but let's keep this
on just a professional level." I did use this tactic on occasion to get rid
of a loud-mouth or two...but I *never* initiated the conversation unless the
other person first stirred the pot. Usually the conversation went something
like this:

Patient (out of the blue):"Well, I can get this tooth fixed now. I just got
my tax rebate today. Of course, the Republican's are just playing politics
with the tax cut, though"
Me (smiling and nodding): "Yeah, well...Ok...now open."
Me (patient's mouth covered with rubber dam): "Of course, the Dem's are
playing dirty politics with the Miguel Estrada filibuster. In fact, it's
pretty shameful. But, I guess both sides are guilty of *playing politics"
at one time or another."

By the time they leave, we're friends again...but they know better than to
start a political conversation in my chair.

NOYB

Most of my fearful patients tell horror stories of when they were kids.
Some never had anesthetic. Some were slapped around for crying and
squirming. One patient told me that his dentist charged extra for
novacaine. When he was little and diagnosed with 6 cavities, his mom was so
mad, she made him get them done with no anesthetic. No wonder everybody is
afraid of the dentist!

"Don White" wrote in message
We did. I swear they brought over all the 'research dentists' to work in

our
school system in the 50's.
We had big gruff ugly women with heavy accents who barely let the needle
brush your gums before applying the industral sized drill. Quite tramatic
and with no dental coverage, we had to go where the service was 'free'.

NOYB wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message
Why is it now that when I think of dentists, my mind wanders to the

film
'Marathon Man' and the sadistic dentist who tortured Dustin Hoffman?

Perhaps because you had a sadistic dentist when you were a kid?

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

NOYB wrote:

Ask him his political affiliation. No dentist I know makes it a habit of
discussing politics, religion, etc. with his/her patients. I certainly
don't. I get people from both sides of the political spectrum...and both
sides get the same response when they say something extreme or outlandish.
I just smile, nod, and tell 'em to open. Hell, if you vacation and get a
tootache in Naples one day, *you* could sit in my chair and never even know
it. Hard as it might be to imagine, I'd even treat Harry with utmost
respect and professionalism.

Will the real Dr. NOYB please stand up?
You have the entire panel confused on this, the 2,457th editon of "What's My
Conservative Rec.boats Line?"

From the archives, last March. Cut 'n paste:

*******************
When I know a patient is of the liberal, ultra left-wing pursuasion, I nod
my head when they spew their liberal rhetoric...until I have them laid back
in the chair, with a rubber dam covering their mouth, and an air driven
handpiece turning at 200,000 RPM. Then the fun begins. I get to go on and
on about my thoughts on Miguel Estrada, the coming war with Iraq, Bush's
success against al Qaeda, my dislike for liberals, etc, etc. That's the
best way to assure that I won't have them or any of their liberal comrades
back in my office anytime soon. It was especially fun immediately following
the 2000 Presidential election.

*****************************

Somehow, I suspect the version of your chairside manner related today is closer
to the truth than the cut and paste paragraph.
I'd like to imagine so.

Doubtful. A pig is a pig is a pig.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Gould 0738

Zzzooooooommmmm....that was a tongue in cheek post by NOYB flying right over
your head
Chuck.

I'm willing to accept that *one* of the descriptions was not accurate. I am
inclined to believe that it was the description from last Spring.

Ask him his political affiliation. No dentist I know makes it a habit of
discussing politics, religion, etc. with his/her patients. I certainly
don't. I get people from both sides of the political spectrum...and both
sides get the same response when they say something extreme or outlandish.
I just smile, nod, and tell 'em to open. Hell, if you vacation and get a
tootache in Naples one day, *you* could sit in my chair and never even

know
it. Hard as it might be to imagine, I'd even treat Harry with utmost
respect and professionalism.

Will the real Dr. NOYB please stand up?
You have the entire panel confused on this, the 2,457th editon of "What's

My
Conservative Rec.boats Line?"

From the archives, last March. Cut 'n paste:

*******************
[...]

Jim

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Most of my fearful patients tell horror stories of when they were kids.
Some never had anesthetic. Some were slapped around for crying and
squirming. One patient told me that his dentist charged extra for
novacaine. When he was little and diagnosed with 6 cavities, his mom was so
mad, she made him get them done with no anesthetic. No wonder everybody is
afraid of the dentist!

When I first went to the dentist, mid-1950's, novacaine was optional. My folks
didn't have a lot of money. I never had
novacaine on my first few "filling" appointments.....and before we added
flouride to the water here in the 60's childhood cavities were pretty common.

Upside is that you learn a lot about pain at a very young age. You can develop
some small skill for getting around (some of) it mentally. When I go to the
dentist these days, I often just tough it out without anesthetic. I have a good
dentist. Most of my roots are dead, and that helps a lot. It's toughest on the
dental assistant, she often remarks "It hurts me just to think about what's
going on in your mouth! Sure you don't want a shot? If not for you, for me!"
I'd rather put up with 5 minutes of extreme discomfort, and maybe even a few
instances where it feels, for a few seconds, like a super heated electric shock
running through a tooth than to walk around all day with half my face numb and
one eye swelled shut. :-)

Same here. Novocaine is not an option for me unless it is major dental work.

Gould 0738

Talk about obsessive. Do you take lessons from skipper?

Not at all. But I've developed mental speculations about some of the folks in
the NG, usually based on self-described attitudes and activities.

NOYB's story about preaching his politics to patients that were unable to talk
back, and his comment that he didn't want any "liberal" patients, was a part of
my mental image of the guy. Why not? He said it himself.

When he posted something that was far more reasonable, and 180 degrees opposed
to the previous statement, I was surprised enough to double check what I
remembered. Took 5 minutes in Google.
Skipper would have had it committed to memory, line by line.

I suspect that NOYB talks a tougher and more extreme stance than he sometimes
practices. Many people do. In his case, that's a good thing and IMO makes him
more of a reasonable person.

As I said, it was just so opposed to the mental image I had formed from his
previous statement it was worth checking out.

I even have a mental image of you, Wally.
If you ever do or say anything that challenges the parameters of that image
I'll be sure to check it out as well. So far, you remain very consistent,
steady, and predictable. Not bad traits, really, especially for one aspiring to
be conservative.
Gould 0738

Same here. Novocaine is not an option for me unless it is major dental work.

Must be an eclipse. Gould and Jim agree. :-)
jps

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I don't refuse it anymore but, when I was a kid, needles scared the hell out
of me. I think I was 10 before I let them in my mouth with a needle, and I
was part of the 60s generation that hadn't had the benefits of flouridated
water. I have more fillings than I have teeth.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

I suspect that NOYB talks a tougher and more extreme stance than he sometimes
practices.

I believe the opposite, that he's much more of a right-wing gasbag than
he lets on here.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Don White

Unions for elementary school children?
Are you some sort of commie??

Jim wrote in message

No dental coverage????? What happened to the wonderful services you union

provided
you?