Don White

Default OT...and a little bit on-topic

Would that work for 'dental services' also??

NOYB wrote in message
hlink.net...

Probably because most manufacturing processes are automated now. Remove

the
human element, and quality and tolerances seem to always improve.

Jim

"Don White" wrote in message
My read is that the Toyota, Honda Nissan plants are better managed.
It's time to lay off bashing the line worker and place blame where it
belongs...the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

Fault lies on both ends...those running the corporations and the unions sucking the
corporations for every penny they can get.

The line worker is not at fault...why work hard or try to excel at what you do when Joe
Six-pack next to you will get the same pay increase as you next year.

Joe

My read is that the Toyota, Honda Nissan plants are better managed.

The managers at the big 3 answer to the unions, the managers at the
transplant factories don't.

It's time to lay off bashing the line worker and place blame where it
belongs...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anyone bashing the workers,
union or not.

the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

How are they (big 3) lining their pockets if they are losing billions a
year?

bb

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:34:09 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

How are they (big 3) lining their pockets if they are losing billions a
year?

Upper management, not the company. Upper level management is paid way
to high of a multiple of what the average worker makes.

bb
NOYB

Actually, Don, union rules put a lot of restrictions on the way the
management can run the factories.

When I read the article in Joe's link, the concept of "flexible assembly"
seems to be the factor separating the non-union and union assembly lines.

Here's an excerpt:

"The transplants have spent decades refining "flexible assembly," a process
that Detroit hasn't practiced as well. Flexibility means being able to make
several types of vehicles on one assembly line, which can cut investment 25%
for a new model and allow for efficiently altering the model mix based on
changes in demand. At Toyota's operation in Princeton, Ind., a single line
cranks out the full-size Sequoia SUV and Sienna minivan. What's novel: the
Sequoia is built on a frame, while the Sienna, as a "unibody" vehicle,
isn't. Toyota's line is the first in North America to assemble such
fundamentally different vehicles. By 2005, five of Toyota's nine U.S. lines
will produce multiple models, accounting for 71% of the automaker's North
American volume, according to analyst Michael Bruynesteyn of Prudential
Securities. Only a third of Big Three plants, with 34% of their production
volume, will be as flexible by then. Winning the flex race, Bruynesteyn
writes, "has been the key catalyst for the dramatic acceleration in
market-share transfer from the domestics to the transplants and imports
since 1998."

Here's the link:
http://tinyurl.com/lz2s

"Don White" wrote in message
My read is that the Toyota, Honda Nissan plants are better managed.
It's time to lay off bashing the line worker and place blame where it
belongs...the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

Joe wrote in message

Joe,
Isn't the Princeton, IN plant that makes Sequoia's and Tundra's

union?

Nope.
Harpo drives a non-union built Truck.

http://uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2003.cfm

Hehehe. No wonder my Sequoia is so well-made. And just when I was

ready
give credit to the UAW guys...

Check this out when you get a chance-

http://tinyurl.com/lz2s

NOYB

Geez...platinum? When I was in school, those guys only had "golden
parachutes".

"." .@. wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:34:09 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

How are they (big 3) lining their pockets if they are losing billions a
year?

Notice this is about "the overpaid jackass running the company"

It is called a platinum parachute and if you don't know how they work
here is a good example.

http://www.businessweek.com/1997/13/b352061.htm

NOYB

"Joe" wrote in message

the overpaid jackass running the company who is only concerned
with lining his own pockets.

How are they (big 3) lining their pockets if they are losing billions a
year?

Upper management, not the company. Upper level management is paid way
to high of a multiple of what the average worker makes.

bb

Nissan takes an avg of 18 hours to build a car, Chrysler takes 31 hours.

This has nothing to do with management salaries.

But trying to address the real problem is so much harder than just pointing
a finger at management!

When I was in Indiana visiting this summer, I read a story in the local
paper about a steel worker who killed himself over the possibility of losing
his pension when his company filed bankruptcy. His wife, obviously
distraught over the cowardly act her selfish husband had just committed, was
quoted as saying she was "surprised he didn't take out a couple of the
supervisors before he did it", and she "knew which ones would have deserved
it".

The loss of her husband's pension was outside the realm of responsibility of
a lowly supervisor...but, hell, why not shoot the supervisor before shooting
yourself!

Joe

It would be interesting to see the productivity/profit margin of the Toyota
union built vs. non-union built autos.

NOYB

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
et...
I just can't
believe anyone would say he would only buy "Union Made" and then tell
everyone he owns a non union made car.

That's because you're not a hypocrite.

NOYB

"Jim" wrote in message
Bright idea...take away the dentist and automate it. Just put your head

in this little
machine and say ahhhh.

Maybe brain surgery can be automated next. You want to be the first

patient Don?

They could do a brain transplant on him and only charge 1/2 price...since
there'd be no need to first remove Don's brain.