Default Looking for recommendations on power boat for fishing, crabbingand general play

On Mar 3, 3:28 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:01:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
What is folks opinion w.r.t RIB inflatables for this use? As I said,
I've got real doubts about the durability of one used on our rocky
beaches, but maybe I am wrong about that?

It will get scratched up on the bottom but nothing structural unless
you really bang it hard. If it were me I'd be inclined toward a 17 or
18 ft aluminum with a 40 horse 2 stroke on it. For rough water
conditions I'd go with a RIB however. They are amazingly sea worthy
and will continue running when half full of water or partially
deflated.

But aren't the RIBs bottom conventional fiberglass? And wouldn't that
get destroyed pretty quickly if we beached the boat a lot?

If not, who makes good RIB boats?

-dm

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:21:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

But aren't the RIBs bottom conventional fiberglass? And wouldn't that
get destroyed pretty quickly if we beached the boat a lot?

If you beach it hard or let it pound on rocks, yes, but not too many
other boats will take that either. Given a little TLC, RIBs are
pretty durable.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:21:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

who makes good RIB boats?

Caribe has a good reputation as does Avon. Insist on hypalon material
regardless.

Senior Member

On Mar 3, 8:21*pm, wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:28 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:01:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
What is folks opinion w.r.t RIB inflatables for this use? As I said,
I've got real doubts about the durability of one used on our rocky
beaches, but maybe I am wrong about that?

It will get scratched up on the bottom but nothing structural unless
you really bang it hard. *If it were me I'd be inclined toward a 17 or
18 ft aluminum with a 40 horse 2 stroke on it. *For rough water
conditions I'd go with a RIB however. *They are amazingly sea worthy
and will continue running when half full of water or partially
deflated.

But aren't the RIBs bottom conventional fiberglass? And wouldn't that
get destroyed pretty quickly if we beached the boat a lot?

If not, who makes good RIB boats?

-dm

If you are really interested in RIB or inflatable, let me know. My bud
works for L.R.S.E (life raft and survival equipment) out of Rhode
Island, one of the biggest in the east. I am sure he would gladly talk
to you by email or phone, if you want me to hook you up. He will give
you the straight stuff. If you wish, get with me at my posting
address, or email scotty (me) at the website smallboats.com.. I can
email you his info.