Default Remember the 'good ole days'...

when you broke a light bulb. You cussed a bit, got a broom, and cleaned up
the mess. No big deal.

Times have changed.

Compact fluorescent lamps contain small amounts of toxic mercury that can
vaporize when the bulbs break, creating a potential health risk for
infants, young children, and pregnant women. If a lamp does break, follow
these cleanup procedures:

Keep people and pets away. Open windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes
before beginning the cleanup.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner, even on a carpet. This will spread the mercury
vapor and dust and potentially contaminate the vacuum.

Wear rubber gloves.

Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed
container, preferably a glass jar with a metal screw top lid and seal like
a canning jar.

Next, scoop up the smaller pieces and dust using two stiff pieces of paper
such as index cards or playing cards.

Pick up fine particles with duct tape, packing tape, or masking tape, and
then use a wet wipe or damp paper towel.

Put all waste into the glass container, including all material used in the
cleanup. Remove the container from your home and call your local solid
waste district or municipality for disposal instructions.

Continue ventilating the room for several hours.

Wash your hands and face.

As a precaution, consider discarding throw rugs or the area of carpet where
the breakage occurred, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by
infants, small children or pregnant women. Otherwise, open windows during
the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.

SOURCES: Maine Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management; Mercury Policy
Project

To see article click on
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...escents_crack/

or, http://tinyurl.com/3de6x3

--
John H

I work in the chlorine industry and we use large amounts of mercury in our
plant. Trust me this is really bad stuff, while they may go over the top a
bit, I can assure you that you do not want to breath this vapor very often.
Women are not allowed to work in our plant due to possible birth defects. We
are in the process of changing our plant over to a non Hg process, my
company will spend millions of $ to do this. Thats how bad Hg can be.
Brad
"John H." wrote in message
[...]

Tim Tim is offline

"John H." wrote in message
[...]

I won't be surprised if eventually you won't have to call in a toxic
waste clean up crew.

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:19:48 -0600, "Brad Darnell"
wrote:

I work in the chlorine industry and we use large amounts of mercury in our
plant. Trust me this is really bad stuff, while they may go over the top a
bit, I can assure you that you do not want to breath this vapor very often.
Women are not allowed to work in our plant due to possible birth defects. We
are in the process of changing our plant over to a non Hg process, my
company will spend millions of $ to do this. Thats how bad Hg can be.
Brad
"John H." wrote in message
.. .
when you broke a light bulb. You cussed a bit, got a broom, and cleaned up
the mess. No big deal.

I don't doubt it. I never knew that these fluorescent bulbs were that
hazardous. If I break one, I'll definitely pay attention to the clean up
directions.
--
John H

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...at_to_do_when_...

or,http://tinyurl.com/3de6x3

--
John H

"All decisions are the result of binary thinking."- Hide quoted text -

John's a huge Rush conservative. They don't care one bit about the
environment.

Brad"John H." wrote in message

[...]

What's with the personal attacks? I posted something to show how to clean
up after breaking a light bulb. How do you translate that into not caring
about the environment?

You and Chuck listen to Rush a whole hell of a lot more than I do. You're
both quoting him continuously.
--
John H

BAR BAR is offline

[...]

Booger is just being an equal opportunity asshole.
BAR BAR is offline

wrote:

John's a huge Rush conservative. They don't care one bit about the
environment.

You are for a ban on fluorescent light bulbs? You are for a ban on
hybrid vehicles?
BAR BAR is offline

My wife, who bore me two daughters, works with mercury in a scientific
lab. She also works with other volatile chemicals. Lithium for one. I
think my wife is crazy but my daughters are extremely smart.

"John H." wrote in message
[...]

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:25:20 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:49:36 -0500, John H.
wrote:

[...]

Regular old floresent tubes have a lot more mercury in them then the
little twisty ones, and the same rules apply. There is nothing new
about this issue.

Good. Hopefully not everyone was as backwards as me. I didn't know about
the proper clean up procedures, for the big ones or the little ones.
--
John H

Anybody here remember... Short Wave Sportfishing General 5 December 1st 07 04:58 AM
Guys, remember spontoon boy. Remember Burnt Njall. Oci-One Kanubi General 11 April 1st 07 01:15 AM
Remember: Gilligan ASA 0 November 2nd 06 02:39 PM
Hard to find a good pirate these days Joe ASA 2 November 5th 05 11:09 PM
O.T. The good old days RGrew176 General 12 November 27th 03 06:25 PM