Default Evinrude seems alive & well.

Clutching my $2. coupon, carefully snipped from yesterdays newspaper, I
arrived at the Halifax International Boat Show just before the doors opened
at noon yesterday. It was weird for me because this was the 1st year in
memory I was going without a pro sailboat outlook.
What a pile of ETECs....... they seemed to be the dominate outboard at the
show, although Yamaha had a couple of good size dealers...one showing off
the 350 model.
One other thing that stood out this year was the number of Maritime built
traditional Cape Island type hulls in different configurations (Lobsta'
boats for you Yanks)
I guess with the long lasting downturn in the fishing industry, some of the
traditional builders are going after the recreational boaters.
I broght my digital camera along, but the battery had slowly lost power in
the three or four weeks it's been siting on a cabinet. Found that out on
my first attempt while enjoying the 'Dory Shops' models. What a beauty one
was...all cedar strips and covered with a clearcoat that showed off the
wood beautifully... just like the expensive canoes you might see on
occasion.
Spent some time checking out the Hobie sailing kayak with its two
outriggers, had a good talk with a retired German mechanical engineer whos
family now live in Cape Breton and are distributors for the Klepper folding
kayak.
I also talked to a salesman from a local boat dealer about my Yukon again.
the question was the addition of a side console with remote controls for the
boat..rather than the tiller steering. If I was a fisherman, I wouldn't
bother, but i'll use the boat for cruising around protected waters..salt &
fresh.

Also talked to a local Boston Whaler dealer... if the wife was gung ho
about boating I could see myself in a 17' model with the center console.
Anyway, I moved along fairly quickly and was out of there in a little over 2
hours. (sparse attendance that early on the first day.......)

nice....right on for the whalers...we have a revenge 22' up here
in high colorado lakes.....nice rig, a bit "over built" for the
inland lakes...but thats fine.......its very stable when the wind and
waves kick up to 3-5 feet...... :-) what are the new whalers
like?

are the interiors nice?

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
nice....right on for the whalers...we have a revenge 22' up here
in high colorado lakes.....nice rig, a bit "over built" for the
inland lakes...but thats fine.......its very stable when the wind and
waves kick up to 3-5 feet...... :-) what are the new whalers
like?

are the interiors nice?

I avoided the larger models and tried to focus on the ones I could easily
tow with a vehicle rated for 3500 lbs or less.
The fit & finish looked good to me, although I'm just skimming over the
smaller models...I have no intention of buying this year.