HK HK is offline

Default The Dangers of Too Much Thinking

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and
then -- to loosen up. Inevitably, though, one thought led to another,
and soon I was more than just a social thinker. I began to think alone
-- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew it wasn't true.

Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was
thinking all the time. That was when things began to sour at home. One
evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of
life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't
mix, but I couldn't stop myself. I began to avoid friends at lunch time
so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied
and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

One day the boss called me in. He said, "Listen, I like you, and it
hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If
you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job."
This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I
confessed, "I've been thinking ..." "I know you've been thinking," she
said, "and I want a divorce!" "But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as
college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if
you keep on thinking, we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently. She exploded in tears
of rage and frustration, but I was in no mood to deal with the emotional
drama.

"I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I
headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche. I roared into
the parking lot with NPR on the radio and ran up to the big glass
doors... They didn't open. The library was closed. To this day, I
believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground, clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for
Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining
your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from
the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster. Which is why I am what I am
today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting.
At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was
"Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since
the last meeting. I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home.

Life just seemed ... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking. I
think the road to recovery is nearly complete for me. Today, I
registered to vote Republican.

- - -

I get such *interesting* email, eh?

On Feb 2, 8:48*am, HK wrote:
[...]

Yes, we all realize that you are far superior to anyone else, you have
the best of everything, even your junk email is better than anyone
else's.
Jim Jim is offline

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Musta been from your sponsor, Doug Kanter. Do You go to meetings together?

Tim Tim is offline

HK wrote:

I get such *interesting* email, eh?

So do I

Subject: FW: Democrat, Republican or Texan?
Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Texan?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife
and two small children.

Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife
comes around the corner, locks eyes with you,
screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the
knife, and charges at you.

You are carrying a Glock
cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere
seconds before he reaches you and your family. What
do you do?
.................................................. .............

Democrat's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done

anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we

run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife

out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am

I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message

does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible

he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want

to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were

to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while

he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street

so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have paint and

weed day and make this happier, healthier street that

would discourage such behavior. This is all so

confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for

few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:
BANG!

Texan' s Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! Click..... (Sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! Click
Daughter: 'Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the
Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?'
Son: 'Can I shoot the next one!'
Wife: 'You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:57:46 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

HK wrote:

I get such *interesting* email, eh?

So do I

Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Texan?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife
and two small children.

Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife
comes around the corner, locks eyes with you,
screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the
knife, and charges at you.

You are carrying a Glock
cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere
seconds before he reaches you and your family. What
do you do?
................................................. .............

[...]

Gotta love them Texans!!!!
--
John H

HK wrote:

[...]

John H- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, killing is SO cool.....
Senior Member

HK wrote:

[...]

Yeah, killing is SO cool.....- Hide quoted text -

Only if you are killing "them"!? Just ask Harry