Default E-Tec test

Just got story and photos from a writer we had covering a local
Evinrude test recently.

Two identical 22-foot C-Dory's were loaded with almost exactly the
same weight. One was powered by a totally rebuilt 1988 Evinrude
outboard, and the other with a new E-Tec.

The test: run both boats over the same course at the same time and at
the same speed with the exact same amounts of fuel to see which would
be first to run out of gas.

The E-tec ran nine miles farther than the rebuilt 1988 Evinrude,
completing a 33-mile course with some fuel left over. The 1988
Evinrude had to be refueled to complete the test.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
Just got story and photos from a writer we had covering a local
Evinrude test recently.

Two identical 22-foot C-Dory's were loaded with almost exactly the
same weight. One was powered by a totally rebuilt 1988 Evinrude
outboard, and the other with a new E-Tec.

The test: run both boats over the same course at the same time and at
the same speed with the exact same amounts of fuel to see which would
be first to run out of gas.

The E-tec ran nine miles farther than the rebuilt 1988 Evinrude,
completing a 33-mile course with some fuel left over. The 1988
Evinrude had to be refueled to complete the test.

Wow. A 2008 engine outperforms a 1988 engine. Stop the presses!

Next test, assuming easy availability of all necessary parts, how much
would it cost to completely rebuild the powerhead and accessories on the
1988 model versus the 2008 model?

Next test, what did the 1988 model sell for new? And the 2008 model?

Finally, what will the cost of rebuilding the 2008 model Etec in 2028,
and how will its MPG compare to that year's hydrogen conversion outboard?

:')

On Jan 28, 1:46*pm, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Harry, the test was performed to MEASURE the difference in
performance, not to see if there is a difference. In your enthusiasm
to sound like you are better than everyone else, that went right over
your head.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:34:49 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

Just got story and photos from a writer we had covering a local
Evinrude test recently.

Two identical 22-foot C-Dory's were loaded with almost exactly the
same weight. One was powered by a totally rebuilt 1988 Evinrude
outboard, and the other with a new E-Tec.

The test: run both boats over the same course at the same time and at
the same speed with the exact same amounts of fuel to see which would
be first to run out of gas.

The E-tec ran nine miles farther than the rebuilt 1988 Evinrude,
completing a 33-mile course with some fuel left over. The 1988
Evinrude had to be refueled to complete the test.

No offense, but what the hell is that going to prove?

Why would they do a test like that ?

It would make sense if it were against a Yamaha four joke or Verado.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Just got story and photos from a writer we had covering a local
Evinrude test recently.

Two identical 22-foot C-Dory's were loaded with almost exactly the
same weight. One was powered by a totally rebuilt 1988 Evinrude
outboard, and the other with a new E-Tec.

The test: run both boats over the same course at the same time and at
the same speed with the exact same amounts of fuel to see which would
be first to run out of gas.

The E-tec ran nine miles farther than the rebuilt 1988 Evinrude,
completing a 33-mile course with some fuel left over. The 1988
Evinrude had to be refueled to complete the test.

No offense, but what the hell is that going to prove?

Why would they do a test like that ?

It would make sense if it were against a Yamaha four joke or Verado.

They had to buy two etecs for the test, to make sure one was still
running, and only had enough left over to buy a 19 year old two stroke.

wrote:

[...]

Now *that's* funny!

Eisboch

wrote:
Just got story and photos from a writer we had covering a local
Evinrude test recently.

Two identical 22-foot C-Dory's were loaded with almost exactly the
same weight. One was powered by a totally rebuilt 1988 Evinrude
outboard, and the other with a new E-Tec.

The test: run both boats over the same course at the same time and at
the same speed with the exact same amounts of fuel to see which would
be first to run out of gas.

The E-tec ran nine miles farther than the rebuilt 1988 Evinrude,
completing a 33-mile course with some fuel left over. The 1988
Evinrude had to be refueled to complete the test.

No offense, but what the hell is that going to prove?

Why would they do a test like that ?

It would make sense if it were against a Yamaha four joke or Verado.

We didn't organize the test. It was sponsored by Evinrude the local
marine trades association. One of the TV news stations covered the
event with a helicopter.

Aside from E-Tec providing better fuel economy than egines from the
"good old days", its tough to figure out *exactly* what the point was.

I agree that a test against a competing 4-stroke would be more
informative.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
[...]

News must be really slow out there in the land of "it's never summer."

wrote:
[...]

News must be really slow out there in the land of "it's never summer."- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Harry, we all know there is no place on earth that is decent to
live except where you live.

wrote:
[...]

I need to talk to the NE BRP Rep.

That's just goofy.

Test Your Driving Knowledge at http://driving-test.friendsrus.net/ [email protected] General 0 December 26th 05 07:40 PM
test the man Boat Building 0 November 3rd 05 01:44 PM
test Brian Tall Ships 0 January 25th 04 01:46 PM
test Brian Crew 0 January 25th 04 01:46 PM
test Brian Tall Ships 0 January 25th 04 01:45 PM