Default Possibly stupid question re Volvo outdrive

I have a pair of Volvo AQ151 outdrives. Last summer one of the control
cables seized and I had to haul the boat out to remedy it.

My question relates to the cover on the top part of the outdrive. If
you look at this drawing, what I mean is the piece on the top right,
underneath the line to the number two. Should this cover be
waterproof? If not, should there be enough grease packed inside it so
it doesn't matter if water gets in?

What's the normal scenario?

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...4C,,,0150.aspx

Thanks for your help!

roger

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:29:02 -0500, "jamesgangnc"
wrote:

Don't know didly about volvos but if there are gears and moving parts under
the cover then it needs to be sealed. Packing something full of grease as a
means to exclude water would not be how anything is designed.

"norm2" wrote in message
.. .

I have a pair of Volvo AQ151 outdrives. Last summer one of the control
cables seized and I had to haul the boat out to remedy it.

My question relates to the cover on the top part of the outdrive. If
you look at this drawing, what I mean is the piece on the top right,
underneath the line to the number two. Should this cover be
waterproof? If not, should there be enough grease packed inside it so
it doesn't matter if water gets in?

What's the normal scenario?

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...4C,,,0150.aspx

Thanks for your help!

roger

No gears but there are the control cable ends and a crank arm to
change the gear box between fwd/neut/reverse.

It doesn't look likes it's designed to be waterproof to be honest.
It's just a flat surface to flat surface fit; no gasket and no sign of
any sealant. In fact you can see a very thin shaft of daylight through
from one side to the other. My instinct says it would be better off if
it was waterproof but I don't want to spend a load of time on the
problem if that's not the case.

roger

If it's not designed to be waterproof then there may be some sort of weep
hole close to the bottom as well. To make sure water is not trapped and
freezes. Also the presence of a seal under the crank arm would also
indicate the space is not sealed. Sounds like you need to make sure you
keep the cable end well lubed. Does it have a rubber boot or some other
kind of seal on the cable end? If it is not intended to be sealed then you
probably should leave it alone as trapping water in it would be worse.

wrote:

Don't know didly about volvos but if there are gears and moving parts
under
the cover then it needs to be sealed. Packing something full of grease as
means to exclude water would not be how anything is designed.

. ..