HK HK is offline

Default AT&T offer's VOIP

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 6, 10:48 am, HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage
for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and
BellSouth except
for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.
Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and
similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage
continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to
see the
market place working.
I spent an afternoon of grief with Vonage yesterday trying to
resolve a
modem problem (no dial tone). It was eventually fixed on their
end (they
had to reconfigure a port) but only after dealing with 4 different
techs,
all of which were from India and hard to understand.
I haven't heard or seen a single reason to drop my hardwired phone
service for VOIP. Being an old-fashioned O.F., all I want from my home
phone is dial tone 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the time and
if I
have a question, an English speaker providing the answers.- Hide
quoted text -

I am with you on this one. My partner has wanted to try VOIP, but I
have business peers who use it and it sucks. I consider any business
that uses VOIP over hardwire, cheap and unprofessional. I don't
wan,wan,wan,wan.wan.wan.wan.wan.t to,o,o,o,o,o,o,o, hear this ****
when I am talking to a business contact, and my clients never will
from me either

The actual phone service is not bad. It all depends on the quality
of your internet service. When speeds drop in my area (Time Warner
sucks) then the voice quality degrades to unacceptable.

Vonage needs to improve tech support and stop routing these calls
through India.

A friend in Bal'mer is raving about the telco's new optical cable
services...but it'll be centuries before they get down to my lightly
densely populated 'hood.

My densely populated hood doesn't have FiOS yet either. Ninety percent
of the hood would switch to Verizon's cheaper "cable" and Internet if it
was offered.

From what I have read, I'd go for it.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a
few years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Del Cecchi wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a
few years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

It really is. The download is at 20,000 kbs and upload at 2000 kbs, and
I can't remember the last time I had an outage.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:42:21 -0600, "Del Cecchi"
wrote:

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Here is is a fairly good web site for testing your service quality:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

You could use it to document quality issues with your ISP.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Here is is a fairly good web site for testing your service quality:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

You could use it to document quality issues with your ISP.

26+ Mbps? I don't think so.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

Man that sucks! They said I was only doing 2.3Mbps and too jerky
for VoIP service!

Use the Flash tester at Speakeasy from lots of places across the
country.
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Speakeasy uses a LARGE file for the test, bypassing any ISP pulse
of data from some trick. The speeds Speakeasy shows are
SUSTAINED, not peak speeds...a true characterization of your
speed.

Here's my results on the SAME system from Speakeasy's Atlanta
hub:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 7373 kbps (921.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 349 kbps (43.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
There's 4 people connected to my Skype supernode, during this
test, but they hardly use any bandwidth like Grabit downloading
from Usenet does.

Seattle is as far from me as Speakeasy tests. It only showed:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3037 kbps (379.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 310 kbps (38.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
at this moment's net loading. My ISP head end is in Atlanta, so
that shows what Knology does to the head end of the net at
7.3Mbps.

Your URL must be on the west coast to get only 2.3Mbps down to
me. It reads way slow, giving a false report of your true speed.

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:24:14 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.

Shhhhhhhh. Reggie stuck with no way to communicate? What's the down side
to that?

wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.

What, I can't hear you, can you speak a little louder.

On Dec 6, 5:49 pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:59 am, wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:21 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

wrote:
HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 6, 10:48 am, HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
[...]
Sadly, it usually is easy to tell when the caller is using VOIP.
It is only a problem if they are limited on broadband upload and/or
download. On Comcast, there is not difference on either end.- Hide quoted text -
I agree, I know for a FACT that you can't tell the difference between
my hardwire line and VOIP. I tried it, didn't tell anybody I got VOIP.
Hell, my hardline from AT&T ALWAYS had static.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe you can't tell, but others probably can at times. One or two
calls don't make it fact, some days are better than otheres. Me, I can
usually tell and you can take the chance if you want, but if you do
business on VOIP, or cell even, I have little time to give you my
money...

Well, I'm not going to get into a posting marathon with Loggy, but I
think it funny that he claims "for a fACT" that one cannot tell the
difference between a hardwired line and a VOIP line because "he tried it."- Hide quoted text -

Why do you find it funny, Harry? I switched, never told anyone I
switched, and no one ever said anything about my sound quality. Now,
my landline always had noise in it. Always. I'll guarantee that if you
are in tune with such things, you'll hear noise in yours too. I've
never regretted getting rid of my landline and DSL and going to cable
high speed internet and VOIP. It's a shame that you and another person
here always **** on things that you don't have. Just because you don't
have it, nor want it, doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.