Default AT&T offer's VOIP

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a
few years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Del Cecchi wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a
few years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

It really is. The download is at 20,000 kbs and upload at 2000 kbs, and
I can't remember the last time I had an outage.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:42:21 -0600, "Del Cecchi"
wrote:

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Here is is a fairly good web site for testing your service quality:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

You could use it to document quality issues with your ISP.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see
the market place working.

Your high speed internet must be significantly more reliable than ours
from charter.

Here is is a fairly good web site for testing your service quality:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

You could use it to document quality issues with your ISP.

26+ Mbps? I don't think so.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

Man that sucks! They said I was only doing 2.3Mbps and too jerky
for VoIP service!

Use the Flash tester at Speakeasy from lots of places across the
country.
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Speakeasy uses a LARGE file for the test, bypassing any ISP pulse
of data from some trick. The speeds Speakeasy shows are
SUSTAINED, not peak speeds...a true characterization of your
speed.

Here's my results on the SAME system from Speakeasy's Atlanta
hub:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 7373 kbps (921.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 349 kbps (43.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
There's 4 people connected to my Skype supernode, during this
test, but they hardly use any bandwidth like Grabit downloading
from Usenet does.

Seattle is as far from me as Speakeasy tests. It only showed:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3037 kbps (379.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 310 kbps (38.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
at this moment's net loading. My ISP head end is in Atlanta, so
that shows what Knology does to the head end of the net at
7.3Mbps.

Your URL must be on the west coast to get only 2.3Mbps down to
me. It reads way slow, giving a false report of your true speed.

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:24:14 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.

Shhhhhhhh. Reggie stuck with no way to communicate? What's the down side
to that?

wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.

What, I can't hear you, can you speak a little louder.

wrote:

The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and BellSouth
except for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.

Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to see the
market place working.

VOIP is a diaster waiting to happen and when it does, all you VOIP
losers...er...users are going to be stuck with no way to communicate.

You heard it here first.

What, I can't hear you, can you speak a little louder.- Hide quoted text -

Now Reggie, you must know that VOIP can't possibly compete with
ancient 2 copper wire and switchhouse technology where every
connection you make degrades the signal!
Or can it??

Legacy telephony solutions are narrowband, which seriously limits the
achievable
quality. Wideband codecs could potentially be used in digital
telephone systems, but this
has never been practical enough to gain any real interest.
In fact, in traditional telephony applications, the speech bandwidth
is restricted much
more than the inherent limitations of narrowband coding. Typical
telephony is band
limited to 300 Hz to 3400 Hz. This bandwidth limitation explains why
we are used to
expect telephony speech to sound weak, unnatural, and lack crispness.
Sound Sample 4: First: Speech sampled at 44.1 kHz. Second: Narrowband
speech. Third:
Telephony band speech.
Most phone lines connected to a household are traditional two-wire
copper cables. Pure
digital connections are typically only found in enterprise
environments. Due to poor
connections or old wires, significant distortion is often generated in
the analog part of the
phone connection, a type of distortion that is entirely absent from
VoIP implementations.
The cordless phones so popular today also generate significant amounts
of analog
distortion due to radio interference and other implementation issues.