Default And this is the reason...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:15:18 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Nov 15, 3:49?pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:43:04 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould

wrote:
Try ordering some boat stuff on line. Many suppliers will charge you
your local sales tax as part of the transaction.

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

May be a CT law, or lack of one.
Laws in NY and elsewhere may differ from those in your home state.

Which is not to say that I mind paying sales tax, but in CT, it's
freakin ridiculous the way it's calculated.

For example, if I buy a liter bottle of soda, the way the tax is
calculated is after the nickel deposit - so essentially, you pay tax
not only on the sale of the liter bottle of soda, but the nickel
deposit.

Gasoline tax is even more egregious. You pay state use tax and
federal tax and then the little item known as Gross Receipts Tax which
is basically paying taxes on the taxes already imposed.

There are other examples in this state from electricity bills to
certain exemptions which nobody knows about unless you have two
degrees in accounting and a lawyer.

However, the point was the silly statement about paying taxes - I mean
a tax isn't a tax until you pay it?

Honest to pete. It's the definition of is all over again. :)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:49:39 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

Ditto, unless they are in the same state.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:32:38 GMT, BillP penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

. ..
wrote:

Try ordering some boat stuff on line. Many suppliers will charge you
your local sales tax as part of the transaction.

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

As long as your not buying from a store with a presence in your state
you'll
never pay any sales tax, it's illegal.

You don't have any better grasp on this than you do global warming!
Please research the term "use tax."

Also see(for example):
http://www.maine.gov/revenue/salesuse/usetax.pdf
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/64i-2.htm
http://www.arkansas.gov/dfa/rules/et2006_9.pdf

BillP is wrong again?? We'd better start keeping score.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 4:32?pm, "BillP" wrote:
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
messagenews:inmpj3dh56dkht4tpabvc0k3m4ofofhreb@4ax .com...

wrote:

Try ordering some boat stuff on line. Many suppliers will charge you
your local sales tax as part of the transaction.

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

As long as your not buying from a store with a presence in your state
you'll
never pay any sales tax, it's illegal.

Somebody better tell Amazon.com. They don't operate a single retail
store anywhere, yet there are four states that require Amazon to
collect sales tax on shipments.

Details:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468512

Maybe you should try reading the "details"

The only states Amazon charges sales tax are for the states in which they
have a presence (KS, KY, ND and WA) .
They are registered with each of those states as Amazon.com LLC.

wrote:

Try ordering some boat stuff on line. Many suppliers will charge you
your local sales tax as part of the transaction.

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

As long as your not buying from a store with a presence in your state
you'll
never pay any sales tax, it's illegal.

You don't have any better grasp on this than you do global warming!
Please research the term "use tax."

Also see(for example):
http://www.maine.gov/revenue/salesuse/usetax.pdf
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/64i-2.htm
http://www.arkansas.gov/dfa/rules/et2006_9.pdf

Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.
A "use tax" is not a sales tax, and it can not be collected from a company
that does not have a presence in the state in which the goods were sold. In
Shortwaves case *he* is supposed to inform his state of all goods he
purchased from outside sources and pay the required tax himself. It is
illegal for the merchant outside of his state to collect it, or any tax.

"Don White" wrote in message

BillP is wrong again??

Nope.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:52:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the

wrote:
[...]

This is going to break your heart.....

http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1510&q=300882&drsPNavCtr=|#40860

Know all about it.

Just another example of how the tax system in this state is broke.

wrote:
Try ordering some boat stuff on line. Many suppliers will charge you
your local sales tax as part of the transaction.

I buy a lot online and haven't paid state or local tax yet.

Ever.

May be a CT law, or lack of one.
Laws in NY and elsewhere may differ from those in your home state.

Which is not to say that I mind paying sales tax, but in CT, it's
freakin ridiculous the way it's calculated.

For example, if I buy a liter bottle of soda, the way the tax is
calculated is after the nickel deposit - so essentially, you pay tax
not only on the sale of the liter bottle of soda, but the nickel
deposit.

Gasoline tax is even more egregious. You pay state use tax and
federal tax and then the little item known as Gross Receipts Tax which
is basically paying taxes on the taxes already imposed.

When you wrote to or spoke to your elected slob(s), what was the response?

Another reason Bart ASA 0 October 4th 06 01:45 AM
Another reason Martin Baxter ASA 2 October 3rd 06 07:08 PM
#1 Reason to be a Pats fan Bob Crantz ASA 5 January 12th 06 03:40 PM
#1 Reason to be a Pats fan Bart Senior ASA 0 January 11th 06 05:09 AM