Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:34:32 -0500, HK wrote:

I also vaguely remember reading that the bow waves were
crashing over a seawall somewhere on the St. Marys River voyages.

That was my trawler wake when we were locked in on an unsuspecting
LTP. Poor buggers never had a chance.

On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

When was the last a container ship or tanker slowed down to
no-wake speed coming up the channel of the bay. It doesn't take
long for the wake from the bib behemoths to get to either side of
the bay and work the way into the exposed tributaries.
On the Chesapeake, they do slow as they approach the C&D canal....
Many times, we'd sail at about their speed through the Elk with
only moderate winds.

A few years back, one blew through and caused serious damage,
possibly a death. A friend who rides those things mentioned that
the word of the litigation blasted through their community.

Truth be told, few run at more than 10-15 knots in the upper
Chesapeake in the first place. That's not no-wake speed, but the
wake is manageable.

Still, I've tracked their wakes for easily more than a mile.

Wakes from large ship traffic in the mid-Bay has not been a problem
for me. In fact, most of the ships I see are leaving fairly flat
wakes. Even when fishing on the edges of the ship channel, it
usually isn't a significant problem, in my experience.
The large container ships I have seen leave a nice rolling wake.
While it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I have
never seen a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as
large. I am trying to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater
would have that is leaving a wake larger than a container ship.
Gee, how many large container ships do you encounter on Lake Lanier?
None on Lake Lanier, as I have said before, I have gone boating from
the Great Lakes to Key West.
Hmmm.

A while back you said you regularly boat along the east coast,
including the Atlantic.

So which is it Jim Gallow, errr.........Reggie?

And how is that different than what I just said?

Welcome back Jim Gallow..................although you really never left.
;-)

I think you have crossed the line once you start calling me names, but I
really can't figure out what your point is.

The point is that your name is Jim Gallow.

oh, OK

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:10:53 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Maybe 10-15 years ago, one of those sub bow waves capsized a commercial
fishing boat near the Kings Bay sub base in Georgia, and my memory on the
event is vague, but I think there were drowning deaths. The sub captain,
an arrogant ass, said something like "deal with it." He's driving a bait
boat now.

I doubt that. The subs that use to base at Mare Island always had CG
escorts. And the bow wave exceeds anything else that I have ever
witnessed as to wakes. And I fish near a couple of the offshore channels
to SF bay.

Subs are always escorted out of near harbor areas and an exclusion zone for
other boat traffic is strictly enforced.

Part of the sub wave/wake problem out of New London is very narrow
entrance to LIS through The Race.

There's not a lot of room there and if you are in the right spot
before the subs reach the sub bouy to get down and get gone, you are
going to be affected by the bow wave/wake.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Calif Bill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
I know you've been on LIS up near The Race when a sub comes out of
New
London. I swear, it's about the only time I've ever been surprized
by
the size and depth of a wake - had just about enough time to quarter
the three waves or I would have taken a ton of water aboard the
Ranger.

Talk about a wake. :)

Maybe 10-15 years ago, one of those sub bow waves capsized a commercial
fishing boat near the Kings Bay sub base in Georgia, and my memory on
the event is vague, but I think there were drowning deaths. The sub
captain, an arrogant ass, said something like "deal with it." He's
driving a bait boat now.

I doubt that. The subs that use to base at Mare Island always had CG
escorts. And the bow wave exceeds anything else that I have ever
witnessed as to wakes. And I fish near a couple of the offshore channels
to SF bay.

You can doubt it all you wish. It was covered on the TV news in Jax, and
there were a couple of articles in the area newspapers.

I doubt he is driving a date barge.

" JimH" ask wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" ask
wrote in message

What I find striking is his attitude of other boaters having to deal
with his wakes as he has the bigger boat. That alone speaks loudly of
his boating courtesies.

I see boaters like him all the time on Lake Erie. I end up giving
them the 1 finger salute.

Whoa.

Let's back up a bit.

Most of my boating experience has been on small boats .... to me meaning
28-30 feet or less.

That experience supports the fact that there are more "hot dog" weekend
warrior types in the small boat group that operate their boats in an
irresponsible manner than there are in the "big" boat category.

Sorry.

Eisboch

I am only speaking of my experiences and what Wayne has said about his
disrespecting other boaters in close proximity, especially those with
boats smaller than his, regarding the wakes he makes. I believe his
attitude is "Deal with It, I have the Bigger Boat".

In my opinon, Wayne has not been "disrepectful" of anybody, although I can
completely understand why some may take his comments that way. To me his
comments have described very realistic boating conditions and situations.
They may not be common to inland lakes or near shore big water (ocean and
Great Lakes) situations, but they are certainly accurate to offshore ocean
boating.

He's having fun playing with your mind, 'tis all.

Eisboch

wrote:

Subs are always escorted out of near harbor areas and an exclusion zone for
other boat traffic is strictly enforced.

It's not uncommon to see them coming and going near the eastern end of
Long Island Sound without an escort. There's an exclusion zone near
Fishers Island which I presume is where they are suposed to surface.
They are a strange sight the first time you see one running at speed
with just the conning tower visible.

The "sub bouy" is located SE of a line from Montauk Light, through SW
Ledge to Lewis Pt at Block Island. That's where they submerge or
surface for the run into New London.

Under the new rules, the CG now clears out the area prior to surfacing
and they provide an exclusion zone by escort from Gull Island Shoal on
a line to Race Rock. I think it's 500 yards - 1/3 of a mile.

You hear draggers and commercial operators in the area contacted by
subs all the time - how they do it, I'm not at all sure, but you hear
them call on 16 and move off to another channel. There they establish
direction of travel, speeds and what not. I don't think I've ever
heard them not be very accomodating to the commercial guys.

One of the reasons they wanted to down size the sub base at New London
was the Race choke point.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dan Dan is offline

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

Sure you have.

*YOU* have the balls to call someone a liar? I may have finally seen it
all. Amazing...

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

Harry,
Do you read what SWS said to Charile and BAR when they were accusing
you of not owning a lobster boat? It is just as boring and stupid
when you do the same thing.

Sorry, Reggie, but I don't pay much attention to the crap posted here by
the likes of BAR and Charile. In fact, I don't even recall a Charile.
Perhaps you like reading the posts of idiots on a regular basis, but I
do not.

There's no reason to believe you have a boat.

And there is less to believe you have a lobster boat. Will you ever
give up?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:28:41 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

And then there are the Wussy Wake Whiner Weenies (4Ws) who should
really confine their boating to the bathtub.

I always thought it was the Whiney Wussy Wake Weenies.

Learn something new everyday. :)