Senior Member

Default OT. dry well :(

Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

Senior Member

On Oct 25, 8:34 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:59:02 -0000,
wrote:

Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

Wowzers - that's a bummer.

How deep do the drillers think they will have to go?

Find out when I make some calls tomorrow. 20 years ago a guy gave me a
"guess" based on geological (I think that is the right word) info he
had, but I do not remember...

Senior Member

On Oct 26, 6:23 am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

wrote:

Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

Wowzers - that's a bummer.

How deep do the drillers think they will have to go?

Find out when I make some calls tomorrow. 20 years ago a guy gave me a
"guess" based on geological (I think that is the right word) info he
had, but I do not remember...

The reason I asked is because of your location. Most wells in that
area are almost down to 250 feet.

Ours is 465, but then we're on a hill.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, iirc 2 - 250 might be about right.

wrote:

Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

Wowzers - that's a bummer.

How deep do the drillers think they will have to go?

Find out when I make some calls tomorrow. 20 years ago a guy gave me a
"guess" based on geological (I think that is the right word) info he
had, but I do not remember...

The reason I asked is because of your location. Most wells in that
area are almost down to 250 feet.

Ours is 465, but then we're on a hill.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, iirc 2 - 250 might be about right.- Hide quoted text -

Wow! Like I said, in western NY you can get very good water at 20 in
most valley areas.

Senior Member

On Oct 25, 10:30 pm, wrote:

wrote:

Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

Wowzers - that's a bummer.

How deep do the drillers think they will have to go?

Depends on how deep his pockets are!

ouch!

On Oct 25, 7:59 pm, wrote:
Well, for the first time in 20 years our well in Essex has gone dry.
It had gone out a couple of months back and we went a little deeper
(dug well), but now it's looks like I am going to have to drill. We
have had very little rain up here in CT ether this year, not as bad as
the south, but enough to cost me a bundle. So I know how you feel
Loogie, any wells going out down there?

In order to get *good* drinking water, you have to go quite deep here,
so most wells are still okay, from what I hear. When I lived in
western NY, our well was around 20 feet deep, basically you could go
out in your yard, put what they called a well point on a 1" pipe, and
drive it into the ground with a sledge hammer, and get good water.
Here you go about 100'. There is water closer to the surface, but
theres alot of iron in it. The older homesteads in the area that have
wells are lucky! They may have to stand guard over there wells! Good
luck with yours.