HK HK is offline

Default Fresh water washdown ideas

I'm thinking seriously of installing a fresh water washdown system in
the new Yo Ho. The boat has a very large center console* with good
access, so I have room for a decent tank. I'm thinking 12 to 15 gallons.
Probably a poly water tank, a washdown pump, a bit of hose, a couple of
hose fittings for filling tank, for draining tank to the cockpit, for
the hose washdown, et cetera. Got access to unused circuit breakers in
the console.

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Washdown will be used to flush the decks on occasion, to wash off hands,
to spray down the windshield, but the water will not be used for drinking.

Any suggestions?

* Large enough console for a 6' taller rigger to climb into it
completely when doing the original electronics wiring. I didn't believe
it unti I saw it for myself.

HK wrote:
I'm thinking seriously of installing a fresh water washdown system in
the new Yo Ho. The boat has a very large center console* with good
access, so I have room for a decent tank. I'm thinking 12 to 15 gallons.
Probably a poly water tank, a washdown pump, a bit of hose, a couple of
hose fittings for filling tank, for draining tank to the cockpit, for
the hose washdown, et cetera. Got access to unused circuit breakers in
the console.

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Washdown will be used to flush the decks on occasion, to wash off hands,
to spray down the windshield, but the water will not be used for drinking.

Any suggestions?

* Large enough console for a 6' taller rigger to climb into it
completely when doing the original electronics wiring. I didn't believe
it unti I saw it for myself.

I think it is a great idea. I have a "shower" on my swim platform and
use it after we go swimming. When I spend the night, I use the swim
platform instead of the head to wash off in the morning.

My concern with a self installed it would be to make sure you tie the
tank down securely. The water sloshing back and forth will put a lot
of stress on tank. I would recommend using some 2x2 to the frame in the
tank, and then tiedowns secured to the frame (not the floor) both front
to back and side to side.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

tank edit (around the base) , and then tiedowns secured to the frame (not the floor) both front
to back and side to side.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Keep the tank reasonably small, 5 to 10 gallons is plenty for what you
describe. Water weighs 8 lbs to the gallon so excess capacity adds up
fast, and increases the structural loads on the mounting hardware. You
can use an inexpensive hand held shower head with an on/off push
button.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Why?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Why?

With all that salt water coming over the transom he needs to be able to
wash it down.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:09:40 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Why?

With all that salt water coming over the transom he needs to be able to
wash it down.

Now, now.

Harry is *very* sensitive about the low transom on his new boat. His
old one was much more seaworthy.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?
Why?

With all that salt water coming over the transom he needs to be able to
wash it down.

Now, now.

Harry is *very* sensitive about the low transom on his new boat. His
old one was much more seaworthy.

More b.s. from Wayne
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0400, HK wrote:

Any suggestions? Pitfalls?
Why?

With all that salt water coming over the transom he needs to be able to
wash it down.

Now, now.

Harry is *very* sensitive about the low transom on his new boat. His
old one was much more seaworthy.

Be sure to let us know when you run Matanzas and Nassau Sound Inlets in
NE Florida in that high-transomed barge of yours. That'll tell us all
about the seaworthiness of floating RVs. You can head in to the ICW at
Nassau Sound and then out into the Atlantic again at Mantanzas.

Take photos after you change your brown-stained shorts.

Oh. I've run both inlets dozens of times. In very, very small boats.

Go for it.

Here's an aerial of Nassau Sound, looking north:

http://tinyurl.com/377gua

You want to enter so you head under the smaller bridge at the left of
the photo. Once you are under that bridge, you turn left and then right
and to your right, along the quarter mile of shoreline that leads right
to the ICW are some terrific oyster beds that hold lots of redfish and
flounder.

HK wrote:

Be sure to let us know when you run Matanzas and Nassau Sound Inlets in
NE Florida in that high-transomed barge of yours. That'll tell us all
about the seaworthiness of floating RVs. You can head in to the ICW at
Nassau Sound and then out into the Atlantic again at Mantanzas.

Take photos after you change your brown-stained shorts.

Oh. I've run both inlets dozens of times. In very, very small boats.

Go for it.

Here's an aerial of Nassau Sound, looking north:

http://tinyurl.com/377gua

You want to enter so you head under the smaller bridge at the left of
the photo. Once you are under that bridge, you turn left and then right
and to your right, along the quarter mile of shoreline that leads right
to the ICW are some terrific oyster beds that hold lots of redfish and
flounder.

Harry,
You da man! There probably is no one in rec.boats with your skill and
expertise. NO one else whould have ever attempted to run those inlets
in your little 17' bay boat. You must feel very sad to have to contend
with now fishing in a bay with no inlets that allow you to take
advantage of your years of experience. I guess that is why you now
average less than an hour a week using your boat.

water pickup for washdown&live well Paul Jenny& Matt General 1 December 1st 04 02:51 AM
Salt Water/Fresh Water prs General 8 August 26th 04 07:40 PM
What size water pump & bladder tank for washdown? cag General 0 June 2nd 04 10:09 PM
Fresh-water flushing a raw water system? Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 24 January 28th 04 12:19 AM
Fresh Water System Design Ideas. Aluminumhullsailor Boat Building 11 September 12th 03 07:12 AM