Default Is there some technology to help locate divers?

The incident:

Press Release Date: Oct. 7, 2007
Contact: USCG Public Affairs
206-220-7237

COAST GUARD SEARCHING FOR MISSING DIVER NEAR TACOMA
SEATTLE - The Coast Guard is searching for a missing diver near
Tacoma, Wash., today.

The Tacoma Fire Department notified Coast Guard Sector Seattle at 2:20
p.m. they were searching for a diver who went missing approximately
100 yds. off the shore between downtown Tacoma and Point Defiance.

A 25-foot response boat crew was dispatched from Coast Guard Station
Seattle to assist in the search.

The diver is known to be a male wearing a black wetsuit.

Weather forecasts for the area predict 15-25 knot winds and 2-4 foot
seas.

###
Coast Guard, saving lives since 1790.

I wonder:

People should dive with a buddy. But, for those who don't or can't,
shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface? (I'm pretty
sure GPS doesn't work under water.......but I don't know for an
established fact that it doesn't).

On Oct 7, 9:45?pm, "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute"
wrote:
In oglegroups.com, Chuck
Gould sprach forth the following:

shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface?

Which would then drift somewhere that the diver isn't.

Very simply accounted for.

The EPIRB begins sending a signal at xx.xx.xxN, xx.xx.xxW at 1400
hours.

If S&R can pick up the signal when it *first* begins broadcasting,
that will
show just where the incident occured. If the diver isn't trapped, he
may be drifting in the water column at about the same speed as the
EPIRB.
If the wind is blowing, that will set the EPIRB off in a direction
that the diver is *unlikely* to drift.

Current can be fairly reliably predicted, and if wind is accurately
measured at the time a computerized formula should be able to
accurately forecast where the EPIRB will be at 1405, 1410, etc........
and by working back upstream
figure out where it would have been at 1355, 1350, etc.

A lengthier version of the same item noted that S&R was working a very
large area, several miles on a side. Even if the EPIRB idea wasn't
perfect, getting S*R closer to the actual scene would improve the odds
a lot. IMO

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There was a diver missing incident in Scituate this summer. Diver was by
himself in the water, but was wearing a wrist lanyard attached to a floating
marker. Several people in the dive boat as well, that watched and tracked
his "bubbles".

Problem was, it was fairly rough water the day of the incident and difficult
to track bubbles. Somehow the diver lost the wrist lanyard and when the
float was retrieved, there was no diver. Three days of intense searching,
including releasing simulators to track drift, etc. found nothing.

Then the rumors started that the whole incident may have been staged.
Unmarried missing diver with two kids, inconsistent stories by the boat
captain (missing diver's brother) and other information that led
investigators to be suspicious started to cast doubt on the whole incident.
The search for the diver was called off, but investigations into his
suspicious disappearance continued.

About two weeks ago, the remains of the body washed ashore not far from his
last known position.

Eisboch

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:06:40 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

People should dive with a buddy. But, for those who don't or can't,
shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface? (I'm pretty
sure GPS doesn't work under water.......but I don't know for an
established fact that it doesn't).

Surface currents are very different from bottom currents - one can go
one way while the victim or diver can go the other way.

I sort of agree with you - it would make sense to come up with a
system that worked on air flow - once the air flow stops, something
pops to the surface and starts screaming for help.

Hmmm - think I need to visit the patent office today.

What, so they can more easily recover the body?

wrote:

People should dive with a buddy. But, for those who don't or can't,
shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface? (I'm pretty
sure GPS doesn't work under water.......but I don't know for an
established fact that it doesn't).

Surface currents are very different from bottom currents - one can go
one way while the victim or diver can go the other way.

I sort of agree with you - it would make sense to come up with a
system that worked on air flow - once the air flow stops, something
pops to the surface and starts screaming for help.

Hmmm - think I need to visit the patent office today.

You publicly disclosed it. You have one year. tick tick

Senior Member

wrote:

People should dive with a buddy. But, for those who don't or can't,
shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface? (I'm pretty
sure GPS doesn't work under water.......but I don't know for an
established fact that it doesn't).

Surface currents are very different from bottom currents - one can go
one way while the victim or diver can go the other way.

I sort of agree with you - it would make sense to come up with a
system that worked on air flow - once the air flow stops, something
pops to the surface and starts screaming for help.

Hmmm - think I need to visit the patent office today.

You publicly disclosed it. You have one year. tick tick- Hide quoted text -

Guess I will keep the no power needed, continuous duty bilge pump to
myself then

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:01:24 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On 08 Oct 2007 04:45:17 GMT, Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

In message ups.com, Chuck
Gould sprach forth the following:

shouldn't there be some sort of small EPIRB or other emergency device
that a diver could cut loose and let rise to the surface?

Which would then drift somewhere that the diver isn't.

If you'd get a boat and get out on the water instead of trolling this
newsgroup....

Anyway, equipment making PLBs usable for divers currently exists and
is worn by the diver,
http://tinyurl.com/2r7ljl

Does that stay attached to the diver if he's stuck under water and
float to the surface to scream for help or is that strictly a surface
device when the diver in on the surface?

The write up doesn't say.

"MMC" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

About two weeks ago, the remains of the body washed ashore not far from
his
last known position.

Eisboch

guess he wasn't faking it...