Default Yo!! Wayne and Eisboch...

Yesterday when I was driving around, I stumbled into what appears to
be a very interesting deal.

42' Egg Harbor older boat (don't know the year yet) which has had a
lot of restoration work done on it. Almost a complete refit if you
will. The interior is in perfect shape and the hull, which had some
blisters and such, was refurbished and painted. Topsides are tight as
I understand that could be a problem on some Egg Harbor boas. Boat is
stored under cover which was something of a plus.

The problem is that the engines have been stripped out - basically the
entire engine area is stripped bare. I honestly don't know if it had
diesels or not - didn't think to check the tank.

Anyway, I just received a call from the guy who is working on selling
it - apparently it was a project boat and the owner died - his wife is
selling it. If what he says is true, the basic boat sans engines is
in near perfect condition after a ton of work - all reciepts and such
available to look at.

The issue is that I can get the boat cheap - as in pocket change cheap
- as in chump change cheap.

What does a pair of complete diesels go for installed assuming that I
run the plumbing, do the electrical work, install filters and such as
that?

[...]

Beats me. Depends on new or rebuilt, size, etc. Your gonna need
transmissions too, and maybe even new shafts, struts and props to match the
lower RPM and higher torque, (assuming the original engines were gas).

I have a friend with an older Hat that originally had gas engines. They
were replaced with a pair of DD 6-71s. Although the boat has run fine for
years, the weight difference of the diesels versus the original gas engines
screwed up the boat's attitude and it runs bow high and plowing due to a
very heavy stern. Point is ... I think you should confirm what the
original engines were and try to match the weight distribution.

My guess? About 20-25k per side after all is considered. Might be way off.

As you probably know and checked, some of the older Eggs had problems with
the rear cabin bulkhead.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Beats me. Depends on new or rebuilt, size, etc. Your gonna need
transmissions too, and maybe even new shafts, struts and props to match
the lower RPM and higher torque, (assuming the original engines were gas).

"you're" ...... not "your"

dammit.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

The real question is this: why would you want an old 42' Egg?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:32:11 -0400, HK wrote:

The real question is this: why would you want an old 42' Egg?

They are classics, although somewhat high maintenance.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:18:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

were replaced with a pair of DD 6-71s. Although the boat has run fine for
years, the weight difference of the diesels versus the original gas engines
screwed up the boat's attitude and it runs bow high and plowing due to a
very heavy stern. Point is ... I think you should confirm what the
original engines were and try to match the weight distribution.

You answered my next question.

Thanks.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:32:11 -0400, HK wrote:

The real question is this: why would you want an old 42' Egg?

As I indicated - I could probably pay for this boat with what I carry
around in my wallet.
HK HK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:32:11 -0400, HK wrote:

The real question is this: why would you want an old 42' Egg?

They are classics, although somewhat high maintenance.

The real question is this: why would you want an old 42' Egg?

I can appreciate and understand why someone would want an older, smaller
boat, because the restoration and maintenance may be controllable. But a
42-footer? A lifetime of work and then, at the end, a boat that isn't
worth much.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:59:51 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

What does a pair of complete diesels go for installed assuming that I
run the plumbing, do the electrical work, install filters and such as
that?

Heh, project boat indeed.

I think the first step is to find out what kind of engines and
transmissions it had originally. That will be the easiest repower and
you may be able to salvage the original wiring harnesses, instruments
and controls. Those are non-trivial expenses. After that, start
searching the web for a pair of rebuilt engines, preferably with
transmissions. If you can get all of that to come together you might
be able to do the job for $30K total.

If you start from scratch with new engines it's a whole different ball
game. I assume you want to be able to run on plane at decent speed?
If so, you'll need high performance engines, no doubt turbo powered,
and relatively light. I'm guessing that a pair of 450 to 500 hp turbo
Cats would get the job done. New with trannys they will be $40 to
$50K each plus a lot of rewiring, instrument panel work, and other
labor. You may also need new shafts, struts and props. More big
$$$s, total job most likely over $100K, possibly well over.

What about a generator? You'll need that and something suitable is
likely to be $15 to $20K installed.

wrote:

[...]

One comment about the 6 cylinder Cats. Great engines, but damn are they
noisy! I don't mean exhaust noise, but major engine room clatter when
running at cruise. Unless your engine spaces are well insulated, all sounds
are drowned out by the engine clatter. My Egg had the 450 Cat turbos and I
could never hear the turbos spooling up ... just the engines. I think the
V8 Cat diesels are quieter.

That's one nice thing about Volvo diesels. They are much, much quieter.
Put them in an insulated engine space like in the Navigator and all you hear
is the faint sound of the turbos spooling up above a soft engine background
noise.

There used to be a guy who had a 34' Egg with the same Volvo diesels that
are in the Navigator except they were the 320 hp versions instead of the
Navigator's 370 hp. Boat was fast, quiet and he never had even a minor
problem with them in the 5 or 6 years he had the boat.

Eisboch