Default Yo!! Jaffa Kearns!!

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:56:43 -0000, Tim wrote:

On Oct 1, 2:27 pm, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:29:10 -0400, HK wrote:
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:41:23 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

You have XM right?

Curious about something. Have you noticed a decrease in satellite
signal level recently - like, say, within the past month or so?

I noticed this a while back, then saw that the FCC is going after
Sirius and XM for power level infractions - both terresterial and
space. Apparently, both HAD been exceeding their designated power
output.

Just curious.

Just noticed my response didn't propagate......

Anyway.... I traded in XM for Sirius. XM always had a stronger signal
Sirius. I don't think I have noticed any degradation in performance
lately.

I've noticed, on several receivers, that Sirius can be lost by going
under a bridge..... (that *never* happened with XM)

Everytime I visit a mall (not that often, thank goodness), there are
pitchmen in kiosks selling XM or Sirius or whatever, and I am still
trying to figure out why I would want to pay for this stuff. When I
listen to radio, it is almost always an NPR affiliate with news or the
kind of music I prefer, and if I really want to listen to only the music
I like, I have my iPOD. Howard Stern is NOT on my list of "have to hears."

So what's the big deal?

It is nice, when on a trip out of the area, to be able to listen to what
you want without having to search for new channels every seventy miles.
That's the advantage of XM. If I want to listen to 60's music, or Air
America for 350 miles non-stop, I can do so. Without XM, I can't.- Hide quoted text -

You can listen to Air America for 350 miles????

I've actually got Air America loaded as one of my push button stations. I
wanted to see why it was going out of business. Now I know.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:29:10 -0400, HK penned the following well

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

I don't know that I would characterize it as a big deal, but I did
elect to keep the service. XM was on my truck when I bought it. I
thought that I would probably not use the service and let the free 90
day subscription lapse. I ended up listening so much that I kept the
service and later changed to Sirius.

There is programming to fit anyone's tastes..... talk left, talk
right, 60's, 70', 80's, dance, reggae, jazz, classical, NPR, country,
comedy, and even Playboy....

Like John noted, if you are traveling, you don't lose the signal. I
don't really care for the iPOD thing.... and as for being a DJ,
listening to Margaritaville, I have heard more neat music by composers
and artists with whom I was unfamiliar to justify the expense.

There is a Sirius Internet portal that I have piped from my computer
through my old amplifier onto my deck..... a good book, an ice bucket
stocked with Red Stripe, salt air, and Margaritaville sounds.......
ah..... the life!

And Howard Stern? I just don't get it..... Sirius should ask for their
money back.... his program just sucks.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

Hmm. I like Red Stripe, too.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

I missed most of this thread, but will offer the following experience with
Sirius:

I bought a mobile unit for our vehicle back when we were doing the Florida
thing during the winter. I ended up hooking it up to the music system in
the pool cabaña at our house here (using a DC power supply) where the
antenna is now stationary. Works fine for our occasional summer pool
parties, but I noticed that the signal drops out everyday at the same time
for about a half hour in the late afternoon and then recovers. I suspect
it's due to a poor combination of the locations of the Sirius satellites
that repeats everyday.

Eisboch

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 15:37:34 -0400, Jim penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

.. .

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

A true, yuut, a true.....