Gould 0738

Default When things go wrong.........

Christ! No wonder you never say a Sea Ray or Bayliner is a piece of
crap! I didn't know you were in the rosy-glassed magazine business!

I wondered what the never-a-discouraging-word connection
was.....PLONK!

Yet another intellect-above-emotion, well considered and helpful contribution.

If you can't beat 'em, plonk 'em. :-)
Jim

When things go wrong (as they sometimes will)
And the road of life seems all uphill
You're so dang tired, but you just can't quit
Don't cry to me; I don't give a ****!

Gould 0738 wrote:
Christ! No wonder you never say a Sea Ray or Bayliner is a piece of
crap! I didn't know you were in the rosy-glassed magazine business!

I wondered what the never-a-discouraging-word connection
was.....PLONK!

Yet another intellect-above-emotion, well considered and helpful contribution.

If you can't beat 'em, plonk 'em. :-)

Gary Warner

Reminds me a bit of the time I was cruising along and the
throttle handle came off in my hand...my own damned fault
of course.

As for carrying tools & such "even on an new boat" I am reminded
of what a pilot friend once told me: The most dangerous time to
fly an aitcraft (from a mechanical perspective) is just before or
JUST AFTER maintenence is due. Obviously, if you are nearing
a maintenence period then something is more likely to be going
wrong. But also just after work is done there is a high likelyhood
that something was not hooked back up correctly or some tool was
left behind in a bad spot or some fluid was not replaces, etc., etc.

Seems that would apply to anything "new" too. New is probably
one of those times when the problems & bugs will show up.

Thanks for the story. Entertaining and made me give a little
thought to what could go wrong with my steering.

Gould 0738

Thanks for the story. Entertaining and made me give a little
thought to what could go wrong with my steering.

Got a call this PM from the local rep. Seems that the riggers should have used
100# reinforced hose rather than 50# plastic tubing with the large 225HP
Hondas. The boat is going to be re-rigged right after the holiday, with the
proper hydraulics.

Larry W4CSC

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:56:57 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Yup - I've USED my "emergency tiller" and it's not that bad. I'd say at
least basic tools and spares of critical items should be as required as a
PFD.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

We got out the emergency tiller on my bud's Amel Sharpi ketch last
Sunday, just to see how it worked. You lift up the compartment hatch
under the aft cabin bedding and the rudder post is right inside.
There's a shaft that fits to the top of the square rudder post and
goes up through a hole in the cabin roof after you slide a little
hatch cover over to expose the hole. The tiller bolts easily to the
top of this long shaft pulling against the hole's bearing surface.

Though it looks funnier than hell sitting on top of the cabin steering
this 41' center cockpit ketch, it was very easy and functional to
use......(c;

We're installing a new B&G H1000 Pilot autopilot into the boat. The
electrically-powered actuator steers directly to the end of the
bellcrank on the rudder post. You can feel some resistance as you
steer the big wheel by hand as it pumps the oil around in the
actuator. The mechanic that did the mechanical installation made a
kind of trailer-hitch-looking heavy metal adapter to it. Very
ingenious installation. B&G has a rudder position sensor that
measures the position of the plunger in the main actuator...a separate
unit. All I/O will be done through the B&G NMEA adapter to
it....including rudder position, I hope. We'll see.

Larry W4CSC

Isn't it becoming more practical by the day to make
Iraq's desert the new World Nuclear Waste Disposal Site?
DaveH

"Wayne.B" wrote in message ...
Thanks for sharing the
story but it makes you wonder what the skies would be like if aircraft
maintenance were performed to the same standards.

Hate to tell you this, but it ain't a lot different. There's lazy
screwballs in every industry.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:00:20 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

Thanks for the story. Entertaining and made me give a little
thought to what could go wrong with my steering.

Got a call this PM from the local rep. Seems that the riggers should have used
100# reinforced hose rather than 50# plastic tubing with the large 225HP
Hondas. The boat is going to be re-rigged right after the holiday, with the
proper hydraulics.

Huuu-yup. Beginning to like my 20-yr-old boat more and more. At least if
something goes wrong, it's becuase it's worn out (and chances are, I've at
least looked at it before!)

Already replaced the "pull-pull" steering that was installed wrong,
replaced the wrong fuel pump with the correct one, replaced the inadequate
wiring, replaced the fuel-filler hose that was used for sewage...Tell me
again why a new boat is so much more reliable than a used one?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" 1983 Catalina 36

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:16:57 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Huuu-yup. Beginning to like my 20-yr-old boat more and more. At least if
something goes wrong, it's becuase it's worn out (and chances are, I've at
least looked at it before!)

Already replaced the "pull-pull" steering that was installed wrong,
replaced the wrong fuel pump with the correct one, replaced the inadequate
wiring, replaced the fuel-filler hose that was used for sewage...Tell me
again why a new boat is so much more reliable than a used one?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" 1983 Catalina 36

See how much better boat you'd get if you could pry Far Cove from
Lloyd's clutches than a crappy new boat?! His is ALL FIXED PROPERLY!