Default How to find the hole of punctured inflatables

Dear NG,

I know this is not much related to boats.. but I assume many of you
have had inflatable boats and probably you have encountered this
problem that I have. I have an inflatable sofa.. and I really think
that it has a very tiny hole somewhere, as it gets partially deflated
in a day (which didnt used to happen before). I tried really hard
finding the hole, but it I cant find it. I used a sponge with water
and rubbed it over the surface of the sofa, but I still can't see any
bubbling.. the thing is too big to dip in the bath tub.. . so my
question is, is there anyway to detect holes in a punctured
inflatable?

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

Senior Member

On Sep 8, 9:25 am, Jose Capco
wrote:
Dear NG,

I know this is not much related to boats.. but I assume many of you
have had inflatable boats and probably you have encountered this
problem that I have. I have an inflatable sofa.. and I really think
that it has a very tiny hole somewhere, as it gets partially deflated
in a day (which didnt used to happen before). I tried really hard
finding the hole, but it I cant find it. I used a sponge with water
and rubbed it over the surface of the sofa, but I still can't see any
bubbling.. the thing is too big to dip in the bath tub.. . so my
question is, is there anyway to detect holes in a punctured
inflatable?

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

I have stood air mattresses in a room with no draft and then light an
incence and let the smoke run up and around all the seams, Be careful
not to hole the thing again, but if you run it low the smoke will
follow the contour of the thing and you will see any air leak when it
disrupts the smoke... I guess you could probably do it with a cigar or
cigarette too.

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:25:21 -0700, Jose Capco
wrote:

Dear NG,

I know this is not much related to boats.. but I assume many of you
have had inflatable boats and probably you have encountered this
problem that I have. I have an inflatable sofa.. and I really think
that it has a very tiny hole somewhere, as it gets partially deflated
in a day (which didnt used to happen before). I tried really hard
finding the hole, but it I cant find it. I used a sponge with water
and rubbed it over the surface of the sofa, but I still can't see any
bubbling.. the thing is too big to dip in the bath tub.. . so my
question is, is there anyway to detect holes in a punctured
inflatable?

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

Know anyone with a swimming pool? Also the idea of using dish soap is a
good one, as you'll see bubbles which won't show if you just brush water
over the surface. I'd check all the seams first, and then the places where
people sit with golf tees or whatever in their pockets.