Default For new boat owners in VA and Maryland

Just in case any of you try to pile 8 people aboard, one for each rod
holder, and wind up swamping yer vessel. Aaargh, mateys.....:-)

LOCAL TUG CAPTAIN AND MARINA OPERATOR ARE NEW
OWNERS OF TOWBOATU.S. VIRGINIA BEACH

Capt. Allen Owen and Wife, Paula, Help Boaters Get Home Safely

Tug Captain Allen Owen and his wife, Paula, a marina operator and
prominent local fishing tournament organizer, have purchased
TowBoatU.S. Virginia Beach, VA, located at Marina Shores Marina in
Lynnhaven Inlet, from Capt. Owen's niece, Amy, and her husband Eli
Hopkins.

Allen Owen, a Virginia native and USCG licensed captain, has worked on
the water for the past 31 years, most recently spending the last 13 as
a local tug captain. Paula Owen, who originally hails from Maryland,
was a marina manager in the Tidewater area. She is currently with
Fishermen's Wharf Marina, but many local boaters know her from her
work in organizing two popular fishing tournaments, the Virginia Beach
Invitational Marlin Tournament and Virginia Beach Billfish Tournament.

TowBoatU.S. Virginia Beach is equipped with two response vessels: a 24-
foot Privateer and 28-foot Mako. Both vessels can be identified by
their distinctive red hulls with white bow stripes and "TowBoatU.S."
lettering along their sides. Onboard each is a full complement of
towing and salvage equipment including extra fuel, engine fluids,
pumps, and battery "jump packs" to handle every breakdown from running
out of fuel to running aground. The TowBoatU.S. towing port is part of
the nation's largest on-the-water towing service for recreational
boaters.

According to Paula, until recently most boaters needing on-the-water
help were locals from the area, but there are now more vacationers in
the summer and rockfish anglers in the winter. "We're becoming more
well known for our great fishing," said Paula. Some typical reasons
why boaters call for assistance are for engine failures or running out
of fuel, but ethanol-laden gasoline seems to be the greatest cause of
problems. "Change your fuel filters regularly, keep your tank full and
never rely on your gas gauge," advises Capt. Owen.

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:12:16 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Just in case any of you try to pile 8 people aboard, one for each rod
holder, and wind up swamping yer vessel. Aaargh, mateys.....:-)

LOCAL TUG CAPTAIN AND MARINA OPERATOR ARE NEW
OWNERS OF TOWBOATU.S. VIRGINIA BEACH

snipped

Good info, thanks!

I just checked and realized that without the aft jump seats, the 18' Key
West actually has 8 rod holders *plus* storage for 4 more. Now, what would
be a good glue to get me up to at least 12 rod holders? I ask 'cause I'm
thinking of taking up 'drift fishing' with 12 lines out at once.

Please publish photos of everything you do with your new boat. Including
photos of your trailer. Everyone enjoys seeing really nice trailer
photos.

Rom Rom is offline

--
John H

Make sure your transom is high enough before adding those extra poles.

wrote:

Just in case any of you try to pile 8 people aboard, one for each rod
holder, and wind up swamping yer vessel. Aaargh, mateys.....:-)

LOCAL TUG CAPTAIN AND MARINA OPERATOR ARE NEW
OWNERS OF TOWBOATU.S. VIRGINIA BEACH

snipped

Good info, thanks!

I just checked and realized that without the aft jump seats, the 18' Key
West actually has 8 rod holders *plus* storage for 4 more. Now, what would
be a good glue to get me up to at least 12 rod holders? I ask 'cause I'm
thinking of taking up 'drift fishing' with 12 lines out at once.

You laugh about that, but I've seen similar.

Just last week, I was watching a 19/20 footer in Charleston Harbor
with what must have been 8 poles drifting for specs.

And you see it all the time on Lake Moultrie/Marion/Santee River
complex. Even for stripers in Lake Murray.

Great Lakes types use multiple rods drifting - up to ten at a time.

However, in your case, I'd cut out that transom on that new boat. That
way you can wash the deck by backing down.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

What's really funny is that Herring thinks that transom on that three
piece hull is going to keep water from splashing over it.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:33:16 -0500, John H.
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I like it. When you say 'specs', to what fish are you referring, trout or
speckled perch?

Whoops - speckled trout.

wrote:

However, in your case, I'd cut out that transom on that new boat. That
way you can wash the deck by backing down.

"Backing Down", now that's an interesting expression when you think
about it. We mostly understand what it really means, the curious use
of language not withstanding. So, after you swamp the boat by backing
down, can you get rid of the water by "forwarding up"?

wrote:

[...]

To what three piece hull are you referring, Harry?
--
John H

Where to store boat in Maryland? jim General 0 April 11th 06 04:21 AM
Maxum Boat Owners OSU General 2 June 5th 05 03:36 PM
no $, lookin' fer boat near Maryland, will use like demon! Galen Wilkerson Touring 0 March 9th 04 02:24 AM
Question for NC Boat Owners Døn ßailey General 3 December 31st 03 04:01 PM