Default Yo - Shortwaisted Tom

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:53:10 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Jul 24, 7:04?am, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:19:40 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jul 23, 4:39?pm, "JimH" ask wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
You still on the road?

After much aggravation and some research (the BassPro shop in Norfolk
was a big help- they have almost everything on display), I've
narrowed
down the electronics search for my new boat.

GPS Plotter
Lowrance Globalmap 7200 with a Nauticpath chip. I like the screen and
ergonomics of the new Lowrance unit better than the similarly priced
Garmin units. I am still thinking about the Northstar Explorer 660,
but
after reading its manual, I think it has too many damned features
that I
will not use. Nice unit, though.

Feeshfinder/Depthfinder
Garmin Fishfinder 340C with an AirMar hole in the bottom of the boat
transducer. The new boat has a flat pad at the crotch of the vee at
the
transom, designed for a shoots-straight-down dual frequency dual beam
transducer and temp gauge.

VHF
ICOM handheld M72. The only party I would call in an emergency, the
Coast Guard, has huge towers on the Bay, so "reach" is not an issue.
Just about everyone else uses cellphones, even for "ship to ship."

Fuel Flow Meter - still working on this one.

Shortwaisted Tom?

Oh well, I guess that's better than being short, wasted Tom. :-)

I have no reason to insult Tom. Shortwaisted Tom is a mildly humorous
play
on SW Tom. Short, wasted Tom is insulting.

Chuck should stick to regurgitating CG warnings here.- Hide quoted text -

That's good advice Jim. By the way, I look forward to the next post in
your series, "Why I once again didn't go boating this weekend."

Yeah, our idea of boating is heading out in weather that is warm and
sunny...........a concept apparantly foreign to you.

What 2 days of summer do you expect to lose the parkas to show off your
sweatshirts this year?

Jim, having visited there quite often, I can tell you that the boaters in
Seattle are fair weather boaters, like you, but they also enjoy boating in
weather which is not quite so fair. Maybe there a hardier breed, who knows.
--
John H- Hide quoted text -

Our typical Pacific NW weather is normally so overcast and grey that
we consider any day when winds are less than 20 knots "fair
weather". :-)
If winds are as benign as 15, that's about as close to perfect as we
can ever expect. 10 knot winds are a rare treat, and dead calm is
almost unheard of. 2-3 footers, steep and with at least occasional
whitecaps are par for the course in our sal****er areas- and most of
us are convinced we ive in one of the best boating environments on the
planet. (Shhhh!)

But we're not ridiculous. I'm as adventurous as the average boater up
this way, and I seldom venture out in anything over 20 knots and
absolutely will not leave the dock is it's blowing 25. This is
supposed to be "pleasure boating", and when the wife is scared and
you're discovering just exactly what you failed to properly secure
(because it's flying across the cabin), that's not a pleasant
experience.

Pulling a nice salmon out of the Sound during an overcast, misty, cold,
routine Seattle day is one hell of a treat!
--
John H