Default Yo - Shortwaisted Tom

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:54:27 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
You still on the road?

After much aggravation and some research (the BassPro shop in Norfolk
was a big help- they have almost everything on display), I've narrowed
down the electronics search for my new boat.

GPS Plotter
Lowrance Globalmap 7200 with a Nauticpath chip. I like the screen and
ergonomics of the new Lowrance unit better than the similarly priced
Garmin units. I am still thinking about the Northstar Explorer 660, but
after reading its manual, I think it has too many damned features that I
will not use. Nice unit, though.

Feeshfinder/Depthfinder
Garmin Fishfinder 340C with an AirMar hole in the bottom of the boat
transducer. The new boat has a flat pad at the crotch of the vee at the
transom, designed for a shoots-straight-down dual frequency dual beam
transducer and temp gauge.

VHF
ICOM handheld M72. The only party I would call in an emergency, the
Coast Guard, has huge towers on the Bay, so "reach" is not an issue.
Just about everyone else uses cellphones, even for "ship to ship."

Fuel Flow Meter - still working on this one.

Shortwaisted Tom?

Oh well, I guess that's better than being short, wasted Tom. :-)

Obviously a writer!

On Jul 23, 4:39?pm, "JimH" ask wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

I have no reason to insult Tom. Shortwaisted Tom is a mildly humorous play
on SW Tom. Short, wasted Tom is insulting.

Chuck should stick to regurgitating CG warnings here.- Hide quoted text -

That's good advice Jim. By the way, I look forward to the next post in
your series, "Why I once again didn't go boating this weekend."

That's certainly more a compelling post than a USCG video about the
dangers of riptides on beaches, isn't it?

On Jul 23, 4:24?pm, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

play on SW Tom. Short, wasted Tom is insulting.- Hide quoted text -

Which is exactly why I observed that Shortwaisted Tom is better than
being short, wasted Tom. Had you referred to him as short, wasted Tom
that would have been insulting. File under "humor", Harry.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:46:10 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Which is exactly why I observed that Shortwaisted Tom is better than
being short, wasted Tom. Had you referred to him as short, wasted Tom
that would have been insulting. File under "humor", Harry.

I've been called worse things in my time.

Mostly begining with...That...and moving on from there. :)

oups.com...
"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

Yeah, our idea of boating is heading out in weather that is warm and
sunny...........a concept apparantly foreign to you.

What 2 days of summer do you expect to lose the parkas to show off your
sweatshirts this year?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:19:40 -0400, "JimH" ask wrote:

roups.com...
"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

Jim, having visited there quite often, I can tell you that the boaters in
Seattle are fair weather boaters, like you, but they also enjoy boating in
weather which is not quite so fair. Maybe there a hardier breed, who knows.
--
John H
HK HK is offline

"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

Warm and sunny? Welcome to the PussyBoaters Club. I'm the current
sergeant at arms. I don't like boating in cold, clammy weather. And I
married a southern belle. If she can't go out in a bathing suit or
shorts and a tee-shirt, she's not interested.

"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

Harry,
Let's be honest, considering you spend all your time online cut and
pasting political articles, and maybe have put on 30 hrs a year, you
really don't enjoy boating at all

"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

sweatshirts this year?- Hide quoted text -

Your remark precisely illustrates a difference in boating philosophy.

Some people own a boat not because they are particularly enamored with
boating or being afloat, but because in this life at least they can't
walk on water and need a boat to pursue some other activity. That
activity might be fishing, getting out to to duck blind, scuba diving,
etc.
In Harry's case, ("won't go boating unless my wife can get into her
bathing suit"), and perhaps in yours the boat is primarily for sun
bathing or maybe functioning as a swimming float.

One doesn't use a fishing boat when it isn't fishing season, doesn't
use a duck boat when it isn't hunting season, and doesn't use a
tanning platform when it isn't warm and sunny. Totally understandable.
But ask a guy who only uses a boat to go fishing to describe his
recreational pursuit and he will normally say "fishing". A fellow who
paddles a pram out to the duck blind will tell you that he's
"hunting", etc. Point being, a lot of people who hang around boats for
various purposes have very little interest in boating for its own sake
and are a lot more interested in "Sports Afield" than in "Passagmaker"
or "Boating" magazine.
No problem with that, it's absolutely OK.

Hopefully the fishers, hunters, and sunbathers are also able to
understand that not everybody shares their unique perspectives. Many
people enjoy the *boating* experience in its own right. Even on a
cloudy day, they would rather be out on the water enjoying the
scenery, doing some exploration, watching the wildlife, or maybe
dropping the hook or taking a buoy at a state park to spend a few
hours with a good book and be away from all the household hassles.
There are a lot of folks who wouldn't attend a neighborhood wienie
roast on a day when they could go boating, and maye even fewer who
would post a bite by bite account of the weekend barbecue and then
disparage boating-related posts (like a link to a USCG video) in a
*boating* NG.

There are 100's of ways to enjoy a boat. The more intelligent folks,
(and I would hope that includes you, Harry, and me), are normally
capable of
realizing that other people using a boat may have different purposes
and priorities. There is certainly a major distinction between
choosing to use a boat for only about 20 hours a year, and being
unable to swim in 50-degree water or living where the majority of days
are cloudy or raining. A person is only marginally able to be
considered a boater when that person normally makes other choices wth
recreational time and dollars, but active boaters will enjoy different
activities in a variety of climates and make allowance for days that
aren't all going to be hot and sunny.

Please consider that there may be folks in the NG who are at least as
interested in boating-related items as they are in the recipe for your
home brewed steak sauce or a list of the neighbors who attended your
last backyard cookout. Particularly of late, I don't often comment
when folks want to use this NG as a blog. People are free to imagine
that everybody checking out the boating NG is on pins and needles to
know what the local weather is in Frog Holler, Arkansas or how Aunt
Matilda's arthritis is progressing. On the other hand, it's hardly
appropriate for the general bloggers, boat-for-sale spammers, and
others who post primarily OT to pee and moan about the presence of
boating related items here.

"HK" wrote in message

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:02?am, HK wrote:
[...]

John H- Hide quoted text -

Our typical Pacific NW weather is normally so overcast and grey that
we consider any day when winds are less than 20 knots "fair
weather". :-)
If winds are as benign as 15, that's about as close to perfect as we
can ever expect. 10 knot winds are a rare treat, and dead calm is
almost unheard of. 2-3 footers, steep and with at least occasional
whitecaps are par for the course in our sal****er areas- and most of
us are convinced we ive in one of the best boating environments on the
planet. (Shhhh!)

But we're not ridiculous. I'm as adventurous as the average boater up
this way, and I seldom venture out in anything over 20 knots and
absolutely will not leave the dock is it's blowing 25. This is
supposed to be "pleasure boating", and when the wife is scared and
you're discovering just exactly what you failed to properly secure
(because it's flying across the cabin), that's not a pleasant
experience.