Default Ping...Shortwave Tom - Corps question

Hi Tom,
I was playing a little with "Nathan Branden" in ASA this evening and a
question occured to me and I'm sorry to say I don't know the answer.
My understanding is that Marine Corps Officers don't go to boot camp
(Mustangs excepted). I know they must do some kind of training but I
have no idea what the requirements are.
I should be ashamed to admit it but I guess I'm too old to let my
crappy memory bother me.
Thanks for any help in enlightening the vast empty spaces in my mind.

Mark E. Williams

PS...I know there are other Marines in the Group but you were the
first one that poped into my mind. )
Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand out. LOL

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
Hi Tom,
I was playing a little with "Nathan Branden" in ASA this evening and a
question occured to me and I'm sorry to say I don't know the answer.
My understanding is that Marine Corps Officers don't go to boot camp
(Mustangs excepted). I know they must do some kind of training but I
have no idea what the requirements are.
I should be ashamed to admit it but I guess I'm too old to let my
crappy memory bother me.
Thanks for any help in enlightening the vast empty spaces in my mind.

Mark E. Williams

PS...I know there are other Marines in the Group but you were the
first one that poped into my mind. )
Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand out. LOL

I'm not Tom and not an ex-jarhead .... (Navy) ..... but if the Marines are
like the Navy, the officers do indeed do a "boot camp" although it is much
shorter in duration than the boot camp the enlisted attend. Of course,
Navy training was a bit tougher, so maybe the Marines don't have to.
(Remember .... the Marines are a branch of the Navy)

Eisboch

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:37:36 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Squiids - can't live with 'em, can't get there without 'em. :)

And it's former Jarhead thank you very much. :)

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:34:32 -0500, Maynard G. Krebbs
wrote:

Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand out. LOL

Heh...

It's a little different that it was in my day, but basically you enter
through several programs - PLC (Platoon Leaders School), NROTC -
Marine concentration, OCS or through USNA.

After that, it's to what they now call The Basic School where they
have basically 6 months of Basic Training but with concentrations on
officer responsibilities.

The basic military training is provided by the base courses in college
or at USNA, then TBS, then operational speciality if that's an option.

Pretty cool actually.

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/TBS/default.htm

wrote:

Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand out. LOL

Heh...

It's a little different that it was in my day, but basically you enter
through several programs - PLC (Platoon Leaders School), NROTC -
Marine concentration, OCS or through USNA.

After that, it's to what they now call The Basic School where they
have basically 6 months of Basic Training but with concentrations on
officer responsibilities.

The basic military training is provided by the base courses in college
or at USNA, then TBS, then operational speciality if that's an option.

Pretty cool actually.

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/TBS/default.htm

The Navy teaches their NROTC guys how to speak Portuguese and find whore
houses in Rio. That's an important skill.

BAR BAR is offline

wrote:

Sometimes it doesn't pay to stand out. LOL

Heh...

It's a little different that it was in my day, but basically you enter
through several programs - PLC (Platoon Leaders School), NROTC -
Marine concentration, OCS or through USNA.

After that, it's to what they now call The Basic School where they
have basically 6 months of Basic Training but with concentrations on
officer responsibilities.

The basic military training is provided by the base courses in college
or at USNA, then TBS, then operational speciality if that's an option.

Pretty cool actually.

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/TBS/default.htm

If you walk in off the street and want to be a Marine Corps Officer you
go to OCS, Officer Candidate School, which is officer's boot camp and it
lasts about 11 or 12 weeks just about the same length as enlisted boot
camp, which is about 12 weeks. OCS stresses leadership enlisted boot
camp is all about discipline and following orders.

I have two cousins, first cousins, who are now 2nd Lt's in the USMC. One
fresh out of the USNA and the other one year out of BC and who went
through PLC. Damn kids weren't even born when I got out of the Corps.

My kids keep asking me if they should go into the military. I tell them
to wait until they graduate from college, officers have a much better
life in the military.

I have two cousins, first cousins, who are now 2nd Lt's in the USMC. One
fresh out of the USNA and the other one year out of BC and who went
through PLC. Damn kids weren't even born when I got out of the Corps.

Do you know the difference between a 2nd Lt and a PFC? The PFC has
been promoted.

HAHHAHAAHAHA Old joke but I had to say it.

BAR BAR is offline

Bill wrote:
I have two cousins, first cousins, who are now 2nd Lt's in the USMC. One
fresh out of the USNA and the other one year out of BC and who went
through PLC. Damn kids weren't even born when I got out of the Corps.

Do you know the difference between a 2nd Lt and a PFC? The PFC has
been promoted.

Who salutes who?

Reminds me of my cousins graduation from Annapolis this past May. The
Blue Angles did a fly by and you could see faces of the pilots. They
were no more than 75 yards away. It was awesome.

The funniest thing was all of the old Gunner's walking around in their
Charlies, flaming asshole on one collar and bar on the other getting a
kick out of saluting all of the new boot louie's and Ensigns. Some of
these guys were in need of walkers but they were having a great time.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:36:10 -0400, BAR wrote:

Bill wrote:
I have two cousins, first cousins, who are now 2nd Lt's in the USMC. One
fresh out of the USNA and the other one year out of BC and who went
through PLC. Damn kids weren't even born when I got out of the Corps.

Do you know the difference between a 2nd Lt and a PFC? The PFC has
been promoted.

Who salutes who?

I always felt some sympathy for officers walking around D&S piers or
NOB in Norfolk. I might salute two or three times walking from my
ship to the gate, while they had to do it maybe a few hundred times.
Sometimes they would hug the walls of buildings, heads averted
so they wouldn't get saluted for the 3 hundredth time in the past ten
minutes. They probably suffered carpal tunnel syndrome.
One time I was walking down the pier away from my can headed for
liberty and a buddy started yakking at me from the ship. I ended up
walking backwards for a bit carrying on the talk and as I turned
around again I bumped into the corner of a limo which had stopped to
keep from running over me.
I think it the first and only time I had seen a non-noisy, non-truck
vehicle on the pier. As I regained my balance he continued slowly
ahead, and I gave the driver a dirty look, not paying attention to the
flag flying on the antenna.
That look was still on my face as the back seat passed. Co
incidently, the flag was the 2nd Fleet flag, and it was the Admiral of
the 2nd Fleet in the back seat, and he got all insulted by me giving
him a dirty look too.
I played stupid and kept walking but sure enough he had his driver
stop and he came storming down the pier after me, with a shout of
Sailor!!
I stopped and turned around, then played Marine, coming to sharp
attention and saluting.
YES SIR!!!
The Admiral was all flustered, and actually sputtering under all those
scrambled eggs on his hat.
"D-D-Didn't you see my car?!!!"
NO SIR!!!
SORRY SIR!!!
MY FAULT SIR!!!
He could see I was dressed sharp, looked sharp, and acted sharp.
I was still at salute since he hadn't yet returned it.
I swear he sputtered out, "B-B-Be a good sailor now!"
YES SIR!!
Then he saluted me and walked back to his limo and I went on liberty,
thinking I don't know what the hell that was all about, but that YES
SIR and saluting stuff sure works good on Admirals.
One time I was sitting on bollard near the quarterdeck with my legs
stretched out. A Captain - Cunningham I think - was piped aboard
and somehow managed to trip over my feet. He dawdled on the
quarterdeck and I thought he was gone so had relaxed.
I did the same SORRY SIR!!! routine on him and he was ok with it,
but my Captain chased the quartermaster after me later with a
reprimand. Can't say I blame him. His crew shouldn't be tripping
visiting Captains.
I was in the day after I turned 17, and it took me a couple years to
learn how to avoid trouble.

--Vic

Do you know the difference between a 2nd Lt and a PFC? The PFC has
been promoted.

Who salutes who?

They salute each other and the officer has to do it a lot more times
every day.

A.C. Motor Current Draw Question Len Krauss Electronics 1 June 7th 07 03:23 PM
Refinish Deck Question , for sailboat ,, for spring ,, Paint question NE Sailboat Boat Building 5 December 24th 06 11:21 PM
Ping Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 26th 05 08:44 PM
Ping: Shortwave Eisboch General 0 October 18th 05 07:37 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM