Default Neat trick for coolers...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:35:36 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
I watched a Mthbusters that I had missed yesterday which tested the
fastest way to cool beer.

So I tried the experiment myself yesterday with a couple of Playmate
coolers.

First cooler had a six pack of Diet Pepsi, ice and salt water. I used
about a 1/4 box of salt on the ice and in the second cooler a six pack
of Diet Pepsi with just ice. I put both coolers on the rear deck, in
the sun, of my Ranger at 6 PM.

As expected, the ice/salt combination cooled the soda to 36 degrees F
in roughly fifteen minutes which matches the Mythbusters experiment.
As of 10 PM last evening, the ice only soda only reached 45 degrees.

However, the interesting piece of this was this morning. The ice/salt
water combination over night kept the soda cooled and as of ten
minutes ago, the water was at 50 degrees F. The straight ice cooler
water was at 62 degrees.

Cool huh?

Get it - cool?

Not so cool was your use of Diet Pepsi. Blech.
Diet Coke is the diet cola of choice.

"No coke, pepsi only."

Diet Coke sucks.

Diet Pepsi rules!!

Whatever is on sale.

Right now, Coke is 2 twelves for $6, Pepsi is 2 twelves for $5 at Hess.
Plus tax & Deposit. Minus 5% if you use your free Hess/Chase VISA. I
just bought 4 twelves of the Diet P to get me through the weekend.

$10 + .73 tx + $2.40 deposit = $13.13. Final cost $12.47, or $10.07
after I return the empties.

Rob
Ron Ron is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in
:

[...]

You guys are talking bilge cleaner, right ?

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed.

Diet Coke is the diet cola of choice.

Have you tried Coke Zero? It is the only way to go when drinking a diet
cola. ;-)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:00:38 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Ever make ice cream in an old fashioned, hand cranked freezer?
It works much better if you add rock salt to the ice packed around
the canister.

Yep - do it all the time.

And submarines have screen doors. ;-)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:18:45 -0400, trainfan1
wrote:

[...]

How many of the new Emergency Truck toys did you buy at Hess. That's the
important question!
--
John H

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:53:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

[...]

Was the soda on top of the ice, or under, or what?

In.

I'm doing another experiment right now with the heat of the day coming
up nicely.

I'll see how this one works out.

4 hours, and the straight ice version only got the soda to 45 degrees?
Weird. Or, how much ice was involved, maybe compared to the size of a 6
pack still with its plastic thing intact?
\

Not weird. The ice just does not melt much with the cans in there. They
cool down the place touching the ice, and then slowly melt. The salt lowers
the freezing temperature to less than 29 degrees and all that ice melting
takes up a huge amount of heat energy. Ice going from frozen to liquid
state gives up a, if I remember correctly 100 calories per gram when
changing state. To raise the liquid water one degree C only takes 1 calorie
per gram. So the ice melting the ice sucks up lots of the heat from the
cans.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 27, 4:18 pm, trainfan1 wrote:

I just bought 4 twelves of the Diet P to get me through the weekend.

That's about my opinion of it, too!

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Ever make ice cream in an old fashioned, hand cranked freezer?
It works much better if you add rock salt to the ice packed around
the canister.

Yep - do it all the time.

And submarines have screen doors. ;-)

I'd have to agree with Tom on this one, Jim.

The ice melts much faster with the salt on it. Just like the roads in
the winter. it drives the cold from the brine though the metal
canister, and chills the ice cream faster, otherwise you'll seem to be
cranking the machine half the night.

That is, unless it's electric....

Trick Scottys Truck Joe ASA 3 March 12th 06 02:19 AM
simple trick to make your icebox last longer raman snit General 2 February 12th 06 06:01 PM
E Machine Shop -Neat site Marc ASA 0 August 27th 04 03:26 PM
Reusable Heat Packs - Neat. Gary Warner General 8 November 7th 03 07:15 AM
Interesting history on a pretty neat boat..... Gould 0738 General 3 August 29th 03 03:24 PM