Default Link to snapshots of Endicott Arm fjord and a glacier, near Juneau

http://www.pbase.com/gould/endicott_arm

I still need to dust off a few of these images (picked up some lint on
the 18-55 mm, obviously)

If you get a message that reads "Creating Thumbnail", just click on it
and the photo will appear.

Probably some of the most "stereotypical" scenery we enjoyed in AK,
and my poor photo skills don't do the area justice.

Folks interested in climate change will note two long black streaks
that look like "tire tracks" on the glacier. They aren't tire tracks,
but they are a glacial
"morain" (sp?) and contain debris that was captured during previous
advances of the glacier. They are parallel because the glacier is
contained by a valley with fairly consistent borders.

It's also possible to see that this particulare glacier is currently
retreating.
The "scrubbed" areas along the surrounding mountainsides indicate
exactly where the ice *used* to be. It is normal for individual
glaciers to advance and retreat over long periods of time.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:21:21 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/gould/endicott_arm

Nice shots. Amazing scenery to me, who has never been in that sort of
environment.

--Vic