Keith

Default Repairing plastic boat -- followup

Try to cover that glue with something so the sunlight won't degrade it. PP's
about the same as HDPE in terms of adhesion / repair. That glue will break
down pretty fast in the sunlight if you don't protect it with something.
Duct tape? yuk.

--

Keith
__
"Ignoramus24807" wrote in message
I asked a question earlier about how to repair my boat. I supposed
that it was made of HDPE. It was in fact made of polypropylene, filled
with foam for flotation. It had a small 2 inch crack.

I tried a glue gun. According to one poster's advice, I widened the
crack a little , squirted a little glue underneath, and then some
above.

It seems to have stuck relatively well.

ameijers

"Keith" wrote in message
Try to cover that glue with something so the sunlight won't degrade it.

PP's
about the same as HDPE in terms of adhesion / repair. That glue will break
down pretty fast in the sunlight if you don't protect it with something.
Duct tape? yuk.

Paint, mebbe? Like that stuff they sell for plastic auto bumpers? Scuff it
up with steel wool, wipe down with solvent (like 'sandpaper in a can') to
degrease, and shoot the area with the closest color match that can be found?
I actually got the stuff to stick, on car plastic. I know it ain't the same
stuff, but I think the main thing is that the paint dries flexible.

aem sends....