Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jim Jim is offline

Default transom water leak

On May 30, 8:20 am, HK wrote:
Jim wrote:
On May 29, 6:32 pm, "Jim" wrote:
Put some silicone where the hoses go thru the transom. It's impossible to
see the shift bellow from inside. It's under the exhaust on the stbd. side.
The ujoint bellow has a small vent hole just above the driveshaft that might
leak if the bellow is not installed right. It's possible to leak through the
gimbal bearing also. Then there's always the transom drain. You really need
to see the leak. Use mirrors if you can or you can use a video camera hooked
up to a monitor to get where your eyes can't.
Jim"Jim" wrote in message

groups.com...

On May 29, 11:27 am, Chuck Gould wrote:
On May 29, 7:53?am, Jim wrote:
.
On May 29, 10:28 am, Chuck Gould wrote:
On May 29, 7:01?am, wrote:
Hello,
I have a 1996 Crownline with the Bravo One outdrive. ?The boat is
taking on water when I'm just sitting on the lake. ?The water is
not
coming from the engine. ?I have been trying to keep an eye on what
conditions the boat takes on the most water and it seems like when
the
lake is calm and the boat isn't rocking much, it takes on very
little
or no water. ?However when it gets rougher and the back of the boat
starts rocking more, quite a bit of water comes in. ?My exhaust
bellows had a hole in it, so I just took the boat to a mechanic and
got all three bellows replaced and I'm still getting a leak. ?When
I'm
cruising and there is no water pressure against the
outdrive/transom
area, no water leaks. ?On this boat, I have the Captains Call
exhaust
with the choice of through-hull or through the outdrive for the
exhaust. ?I also have trim tabs installed as well. ?I am looking
for
suggestions as to what may be leaking, or where specifically to
look.
This has been really bothering me and I'd like to get it fixed
before
it causes bigger problems.
Could it be a leak where the trim tab hoses come through the hull?
Seems like they are at the right level where they are out of the
water
when it's calm, but submerged when I have a few people sitting on
the
back of the boat in rougher water. ?Or is this not likely?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Sounds like you have identified a likely source.
Can you get a couple of buddies to stand on the back of your boat, or
add weight in some other manner, while you watch the area around the
tab hoses and see if water begins trickling in? You could also spray
the area around the hoses with a large volume of water from a hose
and
see if any finds its way into the bilge.
I should have mentioned in the original post, the problem is that on
Crownlines, it's a real pain to see around the engine. ?Unless I wrap
myself into a pretzel, there isn't an easy way to see what's going on
there. ?That's why it's so frustrating. ? Somebody I had talked with
suggested taking a mirror to see behind the engine. ?Any other
possibilities that it could be on the outdrive? ?Or am I best off
looking elsewhere?
Thanks for the response,
Jim- Hide quoted text -
Why not make sure the area around the trim tab hoses is initially dry,
then reach in and place something absorbent around the hoses, do the
spray or immersion test, and then check to see if your tell-tale is
wet?
Good idea. I will give that a shot this weekend when I head out.
It's leaking enough that I would think I could find out if that's it
pretty quickly. I will give it a try.
Thanks!

I'm pretty much positive that it's not one of the bellows that is
leaking since I had them all replaced last weekend. What exactly is
the transom drain? Perhaps that is an area that could be my problem.

Thanks,
Jim

It's the hole with a plug in it at the bottom of the transom. Usually.

If you look at the ass end of your boat from the outside, the bottom
should form a sort of V. There's a drain at the crotch of the v. Sorry
to use such graphic terms, but I think you'll get it this way.

Ohh, the drain plug. I didn't realize that was Jim was talking
about. My plug seems to seat tightly which is why I don't think that
is causing the leak. Plus, if the plug were leaking, I would think
since it is always under the water line, it would be a steady leak.
The rate of water coming in changes depending on the conditions.