Default So, feeding critters in the back yard leads to...

On Mon, 28 May 2007 22:12:01 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

.. .
On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:29:08 -0000, thunder
wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3

Was that picture taken in the east? Every year, there seem to be more
and more sightings. Enough that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't
making a return. I personally know someone who swears he has seen one
here in NJ. He's a pretty reliable type, but . . . I haven't seen any
confirmations.

There have been confirmed sightings in my woods and around the
neighboring farms.

They are mountain lions - not cougars. Confirmed by professional
trackers.

Fisher cats are also making a huge come back in this area.

What is the difference between an mountain lion and a cougar?

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, they are both sub-species of
the Puma which is the general category of lions.

The DEP tracker told me that there are size differences which leads to
differences in spoor traces including pad prints. He showed me the
difference in a book he carried - the mountain lion and cougar had
minor, but distinct differences in their paw prints. If I remember
correctly, there are also minor differences in weight, habitat and
appearance, but they all have the same basic color.

Other than that, I have no clue.

wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3

Was that picture taken in the east? Every year, there seem to be more
and more sightings. Enough that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't
making a return. I personally know someone who swears he has seen one
here in NJ. He's a pretty reliable type, but . . . I haven't seen any
confirmations.

There have been confirmed sightings in my woods and around the
neighboring farms.

They are mountain lions - not cougars. Confirmed by professional
trackers.

Fisher cats are also making a huge come back in this area.

Cougars, mountain lines and puma's are names for the same animal.

wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3
Was that picture taken in the east? Every year, there seem to be
more and more sightings. Enough that I'm starting to wonder if they
aren't making a return. I personally know someone who swears he has
seen one here in NJ. He's a pretty reliable type, but . . . I
haven't seen any confirmations.

There have been confirmed sightings in my woods and around the
neighboring farms.

They are mountain lions - not cougars. Confirmed by professional
trackers.

Fisher cats are also making a huge come back in this area.

Cougars, mountain lines and puma's are names for the same animal.

Tom,
If you are talking about seeing a mountain lion (also known as a cougar,
puma, catamount, panther and other names) it is only native in the
western area of the US and Florida in the east. If it was seen in the
NE it must have escaped from captivity.

wrote:

[...]

I've got the god damned picture sitting right on my god damned wall of
the god damned mountain liion walking through the god damned woods of
my god damned property taken by a god damned professional god damned
tracker who told me that this isn't the only god damned mountain god
damned lion in New England and that this is a god damned mountain lion
and not a god damned cougar.

Damn it. :)

On Tue, 29 May 2007 04:09:27 -0400, Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

Tom,
If you are talking about seeing a mountain lion (also known as a cougar,
puma, catamount, panther and other names) it is only native in the
western area of the US and Florida in the east. If it was seen in the
NE it must have escaped from captivity.

Not necessarily so. There was an Eastern Puma, of which the Florida
Panther is a sub-species. Many have argued that it was extirpated in the
early 1900s, but credible reports of sightings continued from isolated
areas of the Appalachians. Recently, sightings have increased and are no
longer in isolated areas. The Eastern Cougar Foundation reported "more
than 165 sightings in WV, VA, NC, PA, and NY during the year 2000. Other
reported sightings in 2000 occurred in AL, IL, ME, KY, MA, WI, LA, NJ,
MD, VT, OH, NH, TN, IN, AK, MI, FL, CT, MS, DE, SC, MO, GA, Ontario and
New Brunswick, Canada."

http://www.wildliferehabsanctuary.org/puma-cougar.htm

There have also been at least 12 sightings which were *confirmed* by
biologists. While some of these may have been escapes, here in New
Jersey, I have heard of several sightings with cubs, meaning there is a
breeding population. However, I must note that a breeding population has
not been confirmed.

As an aside, there is an element of politics involved. There is a move
to remove the Eastern Puma from the endangered species list on the
grounds that it is already extinct. Confirmation of a breeding
population would put that move on hold.

wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3
Was that picture taken in the east? Every year, there seem to be more
and more sightings. Enough that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't
making a return. I personally know someone who swears he has seen one
here in NJ. He's a pretty reliable type, but . . . I haven't seen any
confirmations.

There have been confirmed sightings in my woods and around the
neighboring farms.

They are mountain lions - not cougars. Confirmed by professional
trackers.

Fisher cats are also making a huge come back in this area.

Cougars, mountain lines and puma's are names for the same animal.

Um...I'm not getting into a whole basskisser style argument and start
going to google and wiki just to prove a point.

I was told by a professional tracker what the differences are and why
and I have no reason to doubt him because he got the pictures and
determined the range of the animal.

You want to argue the point, go argue with him.

wrote:

[...]

You want to argue the point, go argue with him.- Hide quoted text -

You just love to be a childish, insultant ass sometimes, don't you? Or
is that all the time. I also take it that you don't mind at all being
wrong.

RG RG is offline

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3

Was that picture taken in the east?

God only knows, given the source. But I can tell you the that photo in
question was taken over 3 years ago, on March 10th, 2004 at 0714. The
actual location of the shot and the name of the photographer has not been
disclosed, per usual. The ambiguity leaves the implication that the work is
of the original poster, but no such actual declaration has been made. It's
been an often repeated MO of the original poster over the years.

"RG" wrote in message
m...

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3

Was that picture taken in the east?

God only knows, given the source. But I can tell you the that photo in
question was taken over 3 years ago, on March 10th, 2004 at 0714. The
actual location of the shot and the name of the photographer has not been
disclosed, per usual. The ambiguity leaves the implication that the work
is of the original poster, but no such actual declaration has been made.
It's been an often repeated MO of the original poster over the years.

You watching Harry that close?? Pathetic!
Can't you find someone to con into buying an overpriced & un-needed
insurance policy?

HK HK is offline

Don White wrote:
"RG" wrote in message
m...
"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:36:38 -0400, HK wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2wxdg3
Was that picture taken in the east?

God only knows, given the source. But I can tell you the that photo in
question was taken over 3 years ago, on March 10th, 2004 at 0714. The
actual location of the shot and the name of the photographer has not been
disclosed, per usual. The ambiguity leaves the implication that the work
is of the original poster, but no such actual declaration has been made.
It's been an often repeated MO of the original poster over the years.

You watching Harry that close?? Pathetic!
Can't you find someone to con into buying an overpriced & un-needed
insurance policy?

Since I don't live in a log cabin, and just about everyone knows that, I
didn't think it necessary to claim or not claim the photo. I believe the
photographer in question lived in Colorado or some similar place.

I see old RG still has that foot up his butt. I'll leave him in the bin
with the rest of the assholes.