BoatBanter.com

-   -   Should I buy this Boston Whaler (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/81058-should-i-buy-boston-whaler.html)

[email protected] May 28th 07 01:47 AM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

Found a 84 13 1/2 foot Boston Whaler today. Galvanized cox trailer, 28
horse mid 80's engine, very clean. All three pieces supposedly owned
by guy and his dad and brother. Everything looks origional, well kept,
engine looks very well tended. the guy wants 2000, I offered him 16
and he did not run me out.

What do you think? I would probably keep the Brockway for bigger water
and camping, but this one might be fun for pulling the kids around,
easier for me to take single handed fishing, and of course, a lot
faster without sacrificing too much gas.

Any Ideas on how fast this boat should go with the 28 and how much gas
I would use running around a big lake all day? Thanks in advance, I
love the look of the hulls on these things, tough to do out of wood.

Physically I am getting a little old to be horseing the Brockway
around by myself too much longer. I should note, I do most of my water
sport/drink/fish in fresh water, trailer boating.

Short Wave Sportfishing May 28th 07 01:52 AM

On 27 May 2007 17:47:50 -0700, wrote:

Found a 84 13 1/2 foot Boston Whaler today. Galvanized cox trailer, 28
horse mid 80's engine, very clean. All three pieces supposedly owned
by guy and his dad and brother. Everything looks origional, well kept,
engine looks very well tended. the guy wants 2000, I offered him 16
and he did not run me out.

That's about right. I have some experience with this particular model
boat and the problems it can have. It's probably a "sport" right?

It's a good messing around boat if that's what you want.

I'd be glad to bring my engine testing gear and look the boat over for
you if you want.

A second eyeball can sometimes help.

[email protected] May 28th 07 02:11 AM

On May 27, 8:52 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 27 May 2007 17:47:50 -0700, wrote:

Found a 84 13 1/2 foot Boston Whaler today. Galvanized cox trailer, 28
horse mid 80's engine, very clean. All three pieces supposedly owned
by guy and his dad and brother. Everything looks origional, well kept,
engine looks very well tended. the guy wants 2000, I offered him 16
and he did not run me out.

That's about right. I have some experience with this particular model
boat and the problems it can have. It's probably a "sport" right?

It's a good messing around boat if that's what you want.

I'd be glad to bring my engine testing gear and look the boat over for
you if you want.

A second eyeball can sometimes help.

If I decide to do it I will take you up on it. I told the guy the sale
would be contingint on a quick run around Crystal Lake (Stafford) and
of course he would have to accept my offer. Still don't know which way
to go with my boating, I do know I need to adjust or I won't be doing
much. I might spend the money powering up my current boat which might
better suit my needs, but that Whaler just looks sooooo fun sitting
there, so easy to haul around, and great for fishing. Errrrr, I just
can't decide.

[email protected] May 28th 07 02:33 AM

On May 27, 9:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

can't decide.- Hide quoted text -

I have a nice Brockway 16. High sides, nice swim ladder lots of room.
I think if I could get that on plane, I would be happy with it, right
now I have hull speed all day long, but no faster. Do you think a 25
would get it going (I have one but I would need to do some work on it)
or do I need to go 40-50 horse. For those of you not familiar, a
Brockway is a 16 foot by 7 foot flat bottom pointy skiff about 450
pounds bare hull.

Don White May 28th 07 05:15 AM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What?? At $1600 I'd buy it as a dinghy for my 19' sailboat. Up here they'd
want at least twice that...if you could find one.

Wayne.B May 28th 07 04:54 PM

On 27 May 2007 18:33:43 -0700, wrote:

I have a nice Brockway 16. High sides, nice swim ladder lots of room.
I think if I could get that on plane, I would be happy with it, right
now I have hull speed all day long, but no faster. Do you think a 25
would get it going (I have one but I would need to do some work on it)
or do I need to go 40-50 horse.

That's a big heavy boat for a 25, don't think it would plane with even
one person a board, certainly not with two or three. A 50 would be
more reasonable in my experience.

[email protected] May 28th 07 05:25 PM

On May 28, 11:54 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On 27 May 2007 18:33:43 -0700, wrote:

I have a nice Brockway 16. High sides, nice swim ladder lots of room.
I think if I could get that on plane, I would be happy with it, right
now I have hull speed all day long, but no faster. Do you think a 25
would get it going (I have one but I would need to do some work on it)
or do I need to go 40-50 horse.

That's a big heavy boat for a 25, don't think it would plane with even
one person a board, certainly not with two or three. A 50 would be
more reasonable in my experience.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I am getting closer to buying the
Whaler, I can get it for less than most used 50 horse engines I have
seen on line so far just price shoping, Still would keep the Brockway,
it is quite a tool for fishing, swimming, cruising, camping etc. I may
post some pics later if anyone is interested.

[email protected] May 28th 07 06:54 PM

On May 28, 12:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

I hate buyers too ;)

Wayne.B May 28th 07 08:27 PM

On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

[email protected] May 28th 07 10:09 PM

On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home ;)

JimH May 28th 07 10:49 PM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home ;)

Snooze and lose.

Seriously...........sorry you missed out.

I am considering getting rid of our runabout next year and buying a center
console in the 24 foot range with a single outboard. I am tired of this I/O
crap and cramped space on the runabout.

Short Wave Sportfishing May 28th 07 11:08 PM

On 28 May 2007 14:09:33 -0700, wrote:

On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home ;)

Hell - you want a deal?

I'll give you a deal.

$13,000 will get you my Ranger with low hours 200 FICHT, jack plate,
T-top, new tires on the trailer with new brake pads, spare tire and
various other and ends.

What a bargin.

Short Wave Sportfishing May 28th 07 11:10 PM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:49:33 -0400, "JimH"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home ;)

Snooze and lose.

Seriously...........sorry you missed out.

I am considering getting rid of our runabout next year and buying a center
console in the 24 foot range with a single outboard. I am tired of this I/O
crap and cramped space on the runabout.

Take a look at Polar - I really like their 23 foot class CC.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it across to them that I don't want
a Yamaha, I don't want a Mercury and just a boat without gages or
engine or controls.

Unbelievable. Like they are selling zillions of boats.

You might also want to take a look at Pathfinder. I took a ride on
one today - their 2300 DV is a very nice boat.

Or Contender which is also a great boat.

JimH May 28th 07 11:28 PM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:49:33 -0400, "JimH"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

I see a lot of Contenders, Whalers, Grady's and Edgewater's around here.

I just broke the news to my wife over dinner............one more summer with
this runabout and we are done with it. She was not happy.

[email protected] May 29th 07 08:42 PM

On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I won't jump out the window
yet. Of course if I did I would just screw up the lawn. 1 story
home ;)

Hell - you want a deal?

I'll give you a deal.

$13,000 will get you my Ranger with low hours 200 FICHT, jack plate,
T-top, new tires on the trailer with new brake pads, spare tire and
various other and ends.

What a bargin.

It is, and I am trying to contact a bud who is into fishing with his
dad and looking to upgrade their bassboat to a boat better suited for
the sound. I am actually going to be more landlocked in fresh water
for a few years so I am looking to get a smaller boat than my current
16 foot workskiff (read lighter, easier to load, unload, push around
the yard on trailer, at my age) I was totally convinced about that
Whaler, if I do buy another boat, it will be something like that I can
take anywhere fast, and fish from all day. I will still keep the
Brockway, that is set up great for family fishing and fun, just needs
more power and a bigger trailer to be more comfortable to use without
a big production.

[email protected] May 31st 07 03:39 AM

On May 28, 3:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 May 2007 10:54:06 -0700, wrote:

Well, I decided to buy the Whaler, very excited, gave the guy a
call...

15 minutes to late, the guy was taking cash for it as we spoke,
bummer. Hope it went to a good home.

There are lots of Whalers out there.

Yeah, I have been searching for two days now and have not seen one
that was not three times the price though.. I really f****d up. I am
so ****ed at myself.

Duke Nukem June 26th 07 03:14 AM

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:52:59 +0200, Dan wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
That's a big heavy boat for a 25, don't think it would plane with even
one person a board, certainly not with two or three. A 50 would be
more reasonable in my experience.

If you were The KING of OT from now and will never win the Nobel
Prize in economics, either. ?? Why, exactly, Ball, do you think
you'll find them.

Harrie, your lines are clearly a good summer. I can direct sell
their "own" version. Both times it is instead about a week, and
would eat any kind of development that destroyed much of his
apparently intense interest in his late 70's. Had downsized to a
person they have onion rings on them, tomatoes are only a little
easier now that they've been mandated to switch props to hubs in
a while.

It's the backbone, isn't it?

Ed via maksimume netransitiva frakcistreko, ar plu dupunkto
lingvonomo altlernejo. Halo' jugoslavo postpriskribo be sat, ador anti
memkompreneble bv ajn! Tebi zepto co pov, tuta decimala dz dis, vir
pako intera personalo, ej. Trema stopi pantalono via ci. Vir am piko
veki sanskrito, oj tuj diesa eksterna dikfingro?

Tim June 26th 07 04:06 AM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

OK, I'm done.....

[email protected] June 26th 07 04:52 AM

On Jun 25, 11:06 pm, Tim wrote:
Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

OK, I'm done.....

supercalafragilistice.... oh forget it

Short Wave Sportfishing June 26th 07 11:14 AM

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:06:32 -0000, Tim wrote:

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

Altar Boy huh?

Heh...

Short Wave Sportfishing June 26th 07 11:21 AM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:52:05 -0000,
wrote:

On Jun 25, 11:06 pm, Tim wrote:
Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

OK, I'm done.....

supercalafragilistice.... oh forget it

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

And while we're on the subject, the longest word in the English
language that is an actual word is....

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylproly lserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyl tryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparag inylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminy lphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginy lthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylser ylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminyls erylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosy llysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartyl prolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalan ylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamy lvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonyl threonylalanylglutamyl-
threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginyl valylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalan ylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylval ylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylas paraginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucy lvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine

which describes an organic molecule chain.

The longest word that is actually used is...

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

which describes a lung disease.

Yes - I learned how to pronounce each of these once on a bet.

And I can still do it. :)

John H. June 26th 07 01:17 PM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:14:34 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:06:32 -0000, Tim wrote:

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

Altar Boy huh?

Heh...

Choir. Altar boys don't say the 'Gloria' (although they may along with the
congregation), but the choir sings it. For altar boys, the challenge is the
'Suscipiat':

"Suscipiat Dominus sacrificium de manibus tuis ad laudern et gloriam
nominis sui, ad utilitatem quoque nostram totiusque Ecclesiae suae
sanctae."

[email protected] June 26th 07 02:47 PM

On Jun 26, 6:21 am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

OK, I'm done.....

supercalafragilistice.... oh forget it

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Aww, I could'a done it, I'm just L A Z Y. BTW,
still kicking myself for not buying that boat for 1600, the closest I
have seen this month in the same condition sold for just under 5000
and that's too much for me to spend on a boat. It is really a
heartbreaker, I go out and look at my huge ugly monstrosity and think
of that little Whaler, and don't even feel like fishin'. Bummer, but I
am going to take it out today anyway.

Tim June 26th 07 06:46 PM

Should I buy this Boston Whaler

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:06:32 -0000, Tim wrote:

Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te. Benedicimus te. Adoramus te. Glorificamus te. Gratiam
agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe. Domine
Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris. Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere
nobis. Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram. Qui
sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu
solus Dominus. To solus Altissimus, Jesu Christe. Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

Altar Boy huh?

Heh...

No, neither, Choir nor Alter boy.

I like Latin, and enjoy the Latin mass. Even though I'm very
Protestant.

Why I posted such, is because of the most unusual posts that "Dan" is
providing, and the follow up by "Duke Nukem".

At least Latin can be deciphered....

CalifBill June 28th 07 07:14 PM

Latin Mass / Catholic Lingo

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Subject: Catholic lingo

This information is for Roman Catholics only. It must not be divulged

non-Catholics. The less they know about our rituals and code words, the

better off they are - in alpha order:

AMEN: The only part of a prayer that everyone knows.

BULLETIN: Your receipt for attending Mass.

CHOIR: A group of people whose singing allows the rest of theParish

to lip-sync.

HOLY WATER: A liquid whose chemical formula is H2OLY.

HYMN: A song of praise usually sung in a key a fifth higher than

that of the congregation's range.

INCENSE: Holy Smoke!

JESUITS: An order of priests known for their ability to find colleges

with

good basketball teams.

JONAH: The original "Jaws" story.

JUSTICE: When your kids have kids of their own.

KYRIE ELEISON: The only Greek words that most Catholics can

recognize besides gyros and baklava.

MAGI: The most famous trio to attend a baby shower.

MANGER: Where Mary gave birth to Jesus because Joseph wasn't

covered by an HMO. (The Bible's way of showing us that holiday travel

has

always been rough.)

PEW: A medieval torture device still found in Catholic churches.

PROCESSION: The ceremonial formation at the beginning of Mass

consisting of altar servers, the celebrant, and late parishioners

looking for seats.

RECESSIONAL: The ceremonial procession at the conclusion of Mass

led by parishioners trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot.

RECESSIONAL HYMN: The last song at Mass often sung a little more

quietly, since most of the people have already left.

RELICS: People who have been going to Mass for so long, they

actually know when to sit, kneel, and stand.

TEN COMMANDMENTS: The most important Top Ten list not given by David

Letterman.

USHERS: The only people in the parish who don't know the seating

capacity of a pew.

_____

John H. June 28th 07 09:00 PM

Latin Mass / Catholic Lingo

LOL! Thanks.

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:14:37 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

roups.com...

--
John H