Default 40 hp Mercury Outboard Flywheel

PLEASE help!

2003 Weeres 20' Pontoon Boat has a 40hp Mercury Outboard.

It ran GREAT! Idled GREAT! Started GREAT! EVERY TIME..

One day, I started it (it always started on a dime and ran like a
dream), drove it a few hundred feet, turned it off. About 2 hours
later, I turned the key and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, no sounds, no
nothing. (battery is perfect)..

I called a 'boat mechanic' who said 'pull the cover off, I'll be right
over'. He proceeded to BANG on my flywheel about 15 times, on the side
and here comes grit and pieces of the magnets.

My question: Is there ever a time you can ever bang on a flywheel
besides the striker plate or during the removal procedure?

Tim Tim is offline

On May 21, 5:45�pm, Damsel in Distress wrote:
PLEASE help!

*2003 Weeres 20' Pontoon Boat has a 40hp Mercury Outboard.

It ran GREAT! Idled GREAT! Started GREAT! EVERY TIME..

One day, I started it (it always started on a dime and ran like a
dream), drove it a few hundred feet, turned it off. About 2 hours
later, I turned the key and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, no sounds, no
nothing. (battery is perfect)..

I called a 'boat mechanic' who said 'pull the cover off, I'll be right
over'. He proceeded to BANG on my flywheel about 15 times, on the side
and here comes grit and pieces of the magnets.

My question: Is there ever a time you can ever bang on a flywheel
besides the striker plate or during the removal procedure?

Sounds to me like the guy is a moron. those magnets are epoxied in,
and striking the flywheel can literally break the magnets by shock.

Seems odd it ran just fine. then when you went to re-start it, nothing
happened like you had a bad connection , or something. I take it the
engine still turned free, that is, until he beat the heck out of it?

i would say that no time is the right time to be whacking on the
flywheel, especially on the outside edge.

just an opinion.

On May 21, 10:22 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

just an opinion.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, TY for responding! I have not presented the issue to this person
yet because I am waiting for someone to install the new flywheel that
I had to buy. Frickin' big expense! (the guy who caused the damage
told me, afterwards, that he had no idea what a flywheel would cost
because he had never worked on one. he called me, a short while later,
and stated it was $304 plus 3 magnets @ $100 each which i would have
had to pay him $604 if i bought it from him)...PLUS LABOR @ about 1/2
hour..

Once the new one is installed and I can find out what the actual
problem was (may be as innocent as the killswitch or starter), I will
THEN make my issue with him. TY very much, for stating what I have
found out. I talked to MANY people since and EVERYONE has said NO WAY
can you bang on a flywheel because you'll break the magnets..

On May 22, 4:09 pm, "news.wildblue.net" wrote:
'boat mechanic' , sound more like a butcher! That said ask him if he's
paying for the damage he did? Once done then check the starter.

"Damsel in Distress" wrote in oglegroups.com...

PLEASE help!

2003 Weeres 20' Pontoon Boat has a 40hp Mercury Outboard.

It ran GREAT! Idled GREAT! Started GREAT! EVERY TIME..

One day, I started it (it always started on a dime and ran like a
dream), drove it a few hundred feet, turned it off. About 2 hours
later, I turned the key and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, no sounds, no
nothing. (battery is perfect)..

I called a 'boat mechanic' who said 'pull the cover off, I'll be right
over'. He proceeded to BANG on my flywheel about 15 times, on the side
and here comes grit and pieces of the magnets.

My question: Is there ever a time you can ever bang on a flywheel
besides the striker plate or during the removal procedure?- Hide quoted text -

HEY, TY 4 responding! I think he may not be interested in owning up to
HIS faux pas but I will present this issue to him once the new
flywheel, I had to purchase, is installed and I find the true issue of
the no start problem..I believe it must be something as simple as the
killswitch or starter since everything was great before.

wrote:

PLEASE help!

2003 Weeres 20' Pontoon Boat has a 40hp Mercury Outboard.

It ran GREAT! Idled GREAT! Started GREAT! EVERY TIME..

One day, I started it (it always started on a dime and ran like a
dream), drove it a few hundred feet, turned it off. About 2 hours
later, I turned the key and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, no sounds, no
nothing. (battery is perfect)..

I called a 'boat mechanic' who said 'pull the cover off, I'll be right
over'. He proceeded to BANG on my flywheel about 15 times, on the side
and here comes grit and pieces of the magnets.

My question: Is there ever a time you can ever bang on a flywheel
besides the striker plate or during the removal procedure?- Hide quoted text -

Yikes! TY for your input! ANY more info to add about a bangin' on a
flywheel? He didn't charge me a penny for this POUNDING or the tow
across to my dock. I asked him what he wanted for his service and he
said not to worry about any charge. Just that the flywheel will cost
me $304 and the magnets were $100 each and that I have 3..That would
be a cost of $604 Plus labor @ 1/2 hour.

I had to order and purchase a new flywheel. (I tryed to get a used one
to save on costs but was told by Dock's Marina in Budd lake, NJ, that
it's too new to find a used one and had to purchase a new one at the
cost of $404 which comes WITH the magnets (already loosing and lost SO
much 'on the lake' boating time)... AND the cost of someone taking the
BUSTED one off and installing the new one... Thanx again

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

BUSTED one off and installing the new one... Thanx again- Hide quoted text -

I was going to say, that the flywheel would come with the magnets pre-
installed. I think your boat butch..MECHANIC is giving you a hosing.

If it was me, I'd find a reputable mechanic QUICK! and lose this guy!

wrote:

[...]

If it was me, I'd find a reputable mechanic QUICK! and lose this guy!- Hide quoted text -

YES, you are right on the ball. I have a reputable mechanic who has
always been very fair and honest with me. The 'Butcher' was only
called because I figured it must be a simple reason why the no start.
He chose to do what he did without me knowing why or what.

I know the magnets are epoxied in and once this new flywheel is
installed and my good mechanic can determine what's up, I'll post a
follow-up and speak to the 'Butcher' on reimbursement which I am quite
sure, he will not cover. Off to court, I may have to go...TY again!

Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] General 12 February 16th 05 04:48 PM
Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] General 0 February 11th 05 08:31 PM
Mercury outboard products are defective!!!! [email protected] Boat Building 0 February 11th 05 08:29 PM
Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
flywheel removal quetion mercury outboard 1986 200 mike General 1 March 27th 04 07:50 PM