Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Before I buy

I am looking into go in on a boat and was wondering what is the best
place for research.

I don't have any previous buying experience but I do have a couple of
questions.

Are boats like cars in the sense that you can get 200,000 miles from a
Toyota but only 150,000 from a Ford or Chevrolet? I don't want to buy
a boat that is getting ready to break down.

Is there a "blue book" for boats and where would I find a copy of said
blue book?

If a boat is in the water but for-sale would it be wrong or un-couth
to ask the boat be lifted out of the water for an inspection of the
underside and prop? (and what is this process called by people in the
know...dry dock?)

If the boat is in Dry dock, is it to much to ask to have the boat be
put in the water for a "test drive"?

When you all bought your first boat was there ever a time when you
said "&^%#$^ I wish I had" and what was the mistake you made?

Are their common mistakes that are made?

Should I avoid one engine over another?

Have marine engines gotten as complicated as car engines?

the boat would be used for day trips mostly.
Looking at used 20-35 ft boat in the Louisville, KY area so intended
use areas would be Ohio river and Kentucky lake.
Budget is 35,000 and according to yachtworld.com there are quite a few
Carvers and a couple Sea Rays, Chris-Crafts, and the odd Crownline and
Bayliner that fall under those criteria.

Well that should get me started...FYI if the boat gets bought I will
be going to the power squadron to take their classes but I hate to
waste my time if a boat isn't in the future.

Thanks in advance and happy sailing.
Scott