posted to alt.sailing
Guy Guy is offline

Default How far do you pull in the main on a beat?

Haven't seen any posts here in a while.

A question came up at the yacht club last night while blowing the froth off
a couple.

Since I have a traveller, I have two adjustments for my main sail on my
Catalina 27. For a beat, I usually tension the boom so there's sufficient
draft in my main sail with the main sheet, then I adjust the traveller so
the boom is parallel with my boat. I've always thought this allows me to
point better into the wind and I've never thought it slowed me down.

One sailor was telling me last night to ease the traveller a little and this
will add speed. (boom not parallel with boat)

With my GPS, when I do this, I don't notice any drop in speed, but I must
turn off the win a little.

Anybody have any aurgument against boom parallel with the boat on a beat?

Guy in Florida

posted to alt.sailing

Guy,

Do you have telltails on the leach? If you don't, add them.

Now, the telltails should stream straight away parallel to the sail
- Except when beating.

If you are sailing with little or no wind shear (variation in wind
direction with elevation), the top batten should be parallel to the boom
(according to may sailmakers). Mainsheet will get you there.

Now comes the part you have to learn for your Cat27. When beating, with
the main set as above, pull the traveler up to create a little weather
helm. - Most boats I've sailed want 10-15 degrees of break on the
telltails. You don't actually want the weather helm, but what it is
doing is setting the angle of attack (AOA) for the the keel.

Sailboats all go somewhat sideways most of the time (given - ask any
naval architect). The load that causes the little bit of weather helm
is setting the keel up with a 1~3deg AOA. If you set up neutral helm,
the keel will still have to have the same AOA to work, but you will
loose it from COG.

You may not see any change in boat speed, but, if you set the GPS up
correctly, you will see an improved WCV or VMG which ever you use.

Where the boom ends up is anybody's guess. Kind of typically, it is
rare that it wants to be to weather of the backstay.

Note: Unexplained TLA (Three Letter Abbreviation) are in the GPS
instructions.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Guy wrote:
Haven't seen any posts here in a while.

A question came up at the yacht club last night while blowing the froth off
a couple.

Since I have a traveller, I have two adjustments for my main sail on my
Catalina 27. For a beat, I usually tension the boom so there's sufficient
draft in my main sail with the main sheet, then I adjust the traveller so
the boom is parallel with my boat. I've always thought this allows me to
point better into the wind and I've never thought it slowed me down.

One sailor was telling me last night to ease the traveller a little and this
will add speed. (boom not parallel with boat)

With my GPS, when I do this, I don't notice any drop in speed, but I must
turn off the win a little.

Anybody have any aurgument against boom parallel with the boat on a beat?

Guy in Florida

posted to alt.sailing

"Guy" wrote...

With my GPS, when I do this, I don't notice any drop in speed, but I must
turn off the win a little.

Anybody have any aurgument against boom parallel with the boat on a beat?

It depends on the specific boat, rig, and sails. My SeaPearl sailed best with
the boom no closer than the lee rail. I've sailed dinghies that sailed well
with the boom pulled in tight...

When you use your GPS, check the track made good as well as the speed. While
you may sense a bit of change in heading when you ease the traveler, the boat
may slip less to leeward, resulting in the same or better course made good.

Experiment in steady wind conditions, and see how your boat responds.