Default Any suggestions on how to transport a boat and trailer?

I need to move a 25' Wellcraft Sportman and trailer from Cape Cod
toWorcester Mass., about a 110 mile distance. The trailer hasn't moved in
two years and the brake lines are clearly rotted out so it's road worthiness
is questionable. I thought about a rollback type auto carrier but the
longest bed that anyone had was 21'. The distance from the tongue to the
rear trailer wheel is over 23'.

Any other ideas?

Steve P.

RCE RCE is offline

"Steve P" wrote in message
I need to move a 25' Wellcraft Sportman and trailer from Cape Cod
toWorcester Mass., about a 110 mile distance. The trailer hasn't moved in
two years and the brake lines are clearly rotted out so it's road
worthiness is questionable. I thought about a rollback type auto carrier
but the longest bed that anyone had was 21'. The distance from the tongue
to the rear trailer wheel is over 23'.

Any other ideas?

Steve P.

Questions:

How much does the boat and trailer weigh?
What is the maximum height of the boat when sitting on the trailer?
How much of the boat extends beyond the rear trailer wheels?

I am assuming you want to keep the existing trailer (to rebuild repair?)
and want to transport the boat on it. Otherwise, why not invest in a new
trailer for it before moving it?

Reason I ask for the weight and height, I have a dual axle, 18 or 20 foot
(bed) car trailer ... (I'd have to go measure it again to confirm which)
It is rated at 7000 lb GVW and has a 10,000 lb electric winch on it
(installed by me). The trailer itself is 1700 lbs, so it can legally carry
a maximum load of 5300 lbs. There is an additional 5 or so feet of space
between the front of the bed and the tongue ball, so I think the boat
trailer might just fit on it, but the question is how much of the boat will
stick out beyond the end of the car trailer and, of course, the weight.

Only problem is ... I no longer have a truck rated to tow 7000 lbs.

I used to have a similar sized bobcat trailer that had a 10,000 lb. GVW
rating that I bought by mistake, thinking I could use it as a car trailer.
Turns out you can't because the axles are located too far back and putting a
older, full sized classic car on it resulted in over 2000 lbs on the tongue.
Something like it might work if you can rent or borrow one.

Eisboch

Steve P wrote:
:I need to move a 25' Wellcraft Sportman and trailer from Cape Cod
:toWorcester Mass., about a 110 mile distance. The trailer hasn't moved in
:two years and the brake lines are clearly rotted out so it's road worthiness
:is questionable. I thought about a rollback type auto carrier but the
:longest bed that anyone had was 21'. The distance from the tongue to the
:rear trailer wheel is over 23'.

:Any other ideas?

Fix it where it's at? There are carriers with at least 28' long
decks; they're used for industrial equipment more than for
automobiles. You may be looking at the wrong sorts of places.

David

[...]

"RCE" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Here's a story that might irritate Short Wave a bit. I went to look at the
boat and after the seller went through everything that he knew was wrong and
right about it, we talked about price. I felt that his initial asking price
was in line with what the boat was worth and said so. We then began to
discuss the logistics of me getting it home. He was the one that suggested
the ramp truck as he had seen too many boats on broken trailers alongside
Rt. 3 on his way to the Cape that Saturday morning. As a matter of fact he
even offered to deduct the cost of using a ramp truck from our agreed upon
price. Nice guy! But me, I'm a savvy enough negotiator to know that I had
better get outta the real quick, before he could talk me down any more! So
that's were I stand now.

Here is a picture of the boat as she sits:

http://www.kci2.com/big/3.jpg

I'm guessing about 6' beyond the rear wheels to the end of the rig. The
seller had no idea of numbers on weight but I found a figure of 3750 lbs. on
the Wellcraft site for the O/B model. Whether they include the motor or not
I don't know so I figure add another 600 lb. Seller and I speculated about
1000 lbs. for the trailer for an all up weight of 5350. I didn't check on
how much gas was in the tank though and things have probably been added over
the years that might bring the weight up even higher.

I have an '04 1/2-Ton Suburban which can pull it but I'm worried about a
bearing or tire giving out on the highway, as well as stopping without the
trailer brakes working. Don't even mention the likelyhood of a ticket for
the defective equipment if I wind up pulling over to the side while on the
Interstate.

Thanks You RCE

Fix it where it's at? There are carriers with at least 28' long
decks; they're used for industrial equipment more than for
automobiles. You may be looking at the wrong sorts of places.

David

I pondered fixing it in place but...
The seller has it at his summer home. I'm guessing from his asking price
that he just wants to make it disappear so I don't want to turn his front
yard into a something that will detract from his view of Vineyard Sound.

Do those 28' jobs have tiliting beds for roll-on/roll-off? What would I look
under to find someone with euipment like that?

Thanks

Steve P wrote:
I need to move a 25' Wellcraft Sportman and trailer from Cape Cod
toWorcester Mass., about a 110 mile distance. The trailer hasn't moved in
two years and the brake lines are clearly rotted out so it's road worthiness
is questionable. I thought about a rollback type auto carrier but the
longest bed that anyone had was 21'. The distance from the tongue to the
rear trailer wheel is over 23'.

Any other ideas?

Steve P.

How about hiring a marine transport trucker to remove the boat from the
current trailer and haul it on their own trailer to Worcester? Once
there they could put the boat on blocks, or even launch it wherever
you'll be using it. Meanwhile, without the boat on it you can better
attend to the needs/repairs of the trailer, possibly even hauling the
empty trailer back to Worcester as is.

Just a thought.

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:41:47 -0400, "Steve P"
wrote:

Any other ideas?

If you want to borrow Dick's trailer (which I'm pretty sure would work
fine for this), I'd be more than willing to tow it for you with the
F-250.

Just buy the fuel - no sweat.

The trailer doesnt look too bad. Ok so the brakes dont work.
Dont drive it in the rain!!!

I would just look at the tires. Are they all cracked up?? If not
their good to go. From there I would grease the bearings and make
sure those lights work on that trailer. If not wire it up right and
tow it home at night. 110 miles isn't too bad. You'd be better
off
saving the money and applying it to trailer repairs rather than
having
someone tow it for you. 2 or 3 hours worth of work would be all it
should
need.

Tom

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks You RCE- Hide quoted text -

Dan Dan is offline

"RCE" wrote in message
[...]

I've paid for forklifts to be shipped similar distances and the rate was
maybe $500.00. The forklifts weigh more than the boat so that isn't a
problem. They use low trailers with hydraulic ramps on the back and
built-in winches.

The only concern might be the width. I would try heavy equipment
haulers in your area. Shop around and if you have time, you might get a
better rate if they can work out a back haul.

Dan