Default I hate boat buyers... (long)

Tell him that you'll take $600 for the boat, but the sails are $3900. And
you will not sell them separately.

On 9 May 2007 18:28:05 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Hang in there. What's that boat worth, really? Somebody will happen
along who actually likes it, and be willing to pay a fair price.

Thanks - it just ****ed me off. I could never do retail boat sales -
I'd end up shooting somebody. :)

I figure it's worth about $4500 +/- a couple of hundred. It is what
it is - a sound boat in sound mechanical condition with a full suite
of sails, covers with a trailer and a 10 horse electric start
outboard.

Not fancy - just a great little gunk holer. If somebody wants to turn
it into a project, it would be great for that also.

I just don't have the time.

On Thu, 10 May 2007 04:48:39 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Tell him that you'll take $600 for the boat, but the sails are $3900. And
you will not sell them separately.

ROTFL!!!
Tim Tim is offline

On May 9, 7:54 pm, Tom Francis wrote:
I'm in the process of selling the Halman and I had a guy who was
really interested in it. I spent four hours on the phone with him, I
took a ton of pictures and he made an unseen offer contingent on
viewing the boat. I explained to him exactly what the boat was and
what was wrong. He asked if he could being a surveyor along - fine,
no problem there.

I sent him a copy of the survey I had done this spring. The surveyor
basically said the same thing I did - the Halman needs some minor
cosmetic work (like the wood needs to be stripped and revarnished -
the hull could use a good compounding with Finesse It II, etc.) but
the basic boat is structurally sound, no leaks, no blisters, the
stainless is in amazing shape as are the sails and rigging. The cabin
doesn't leak anywhere, window seals are excellent - everything you
would want in a gunk holer type sailboat. The trailer needs a good
sandblast and paint job, but is servicable as a road trailer.

He came to see it this afternoon and brought a "surveyor" friend,
looked it over. I was a little suspicious as he kept calling it a
Nordic 20 - technically, I guess that is correct, but it's a Halman
Nordic 20 and in a lot of ways, a completely different boat. He kept
asking some really stupid questions like where the keel bolts were
(huh?) and the water tank (I understand that the Halman specs call for
one, but this doesn't have that option). He nitpicked the color -
apparently it's not a standard offered color (which may or may not be
true - I've seen pictures of a Halman in the same shade of brown in
Florida) insisting that the boat had been painted and that wasn't the
original color. He wanted to see where the blisters were - all these
boats according to him had blister problems. Made a big deal about
the bottom paint (which needs doing - I admitted that up front) and
the fact that there wasn't a barrier coat. According to the
"surveyor", water can creep into the keel and deform the lead over the
winter (the Halman doesn't have lead in it's keel - it's encapsulated
steel).

After an hour of this bull****, I was getting a little annoyed, but
kept cool. Finally, they left and the potential buyer said he'd get
back to me tonight.

I just got off the phone with him - he offered me $600 for the Halman
based on his "surveyor's" report.

I hung up on him.

Tom, have you considered ( I know you have) putting it up on Ebay? or
your local CraigsList?

On 9 May 2007 23:32:44 -0700, Tim wrote:

Tom, have you considered ( I know you have) putting it up on Ebay? or
your local CraigsList?

I have it on craigslist also, but I won't deal with eBay.

Had a really bad experience with eBay and I don't care to repeat it.
RCE RCE is offline

"Tom Francis" wrote in message

After an hour of this bull****, I was getting a little annoyed, but
kept cool. Finally, they left and the potential buyer said he'd get
back to me tonight.

I just got off the phone with him - he offered me $600 for the Halman
based on his "surveyor's" report.

I hung up on him.

I hate selling stuff period. When it comes to boats, I'd rather sell
through a reputable broker and pay him a commission, allowing him to screen
the tire kickers from the serious buyers.

It's not just boats either. I recently sold a custom built Harley that I
had advertised on Craigslist. Long story short .... the initial potential
buyer jerked me around with promises for over a month while he tried to
obtain financing to buy it. This is after I explained to him that it was a
custom build, had been inspected by the MA State Police and issued a MA VIN
number and title, but not all banks would finance custom built bikes without
a manufacturer's assigned VIN. (they can't look the value up in a book) I
also explained that I had priced the bike at well below it's value to make
it attractive to a cash buyer and provided documentation of the cost to
build to prove it. He told me he would be paying cash. He was a director
of something at a large food supply company in CT ... a typical
self-important yuppie. After a month of delays .... important job meetings,
sick mother-in-law, etc. he emailed that he was ready to do the deal and
would call me the next day. I said fine. Never heard from him again.
(Learned my lesson .... next time a deposit will be required).

Then .... Mrs. E. had purchased a set of OEM rims and winter tires for the
'06 BMW 750il that she had for a short period of time. She paid about $3600
for the set, never used them, and ended up trading the car for a Z4si. I
got tired (pun intended) of storing them, tried unsuccessfully to sell them
back to the dealer and finally listed them on Craigslist for $500 just to
get rid of them. I had guys wanting to try them on other BMW series cars,
but they wanted the option of getting their money back if they didn't fit.
(give me a break!) Then, a guy with a new seven series BMW called and
wanted them. He couldn't believe I only wanted 500 bucks for them and
showed up to buy them. He inspected them, looked at me and said, "Will you
take $450?"

I guess everyone has to negotiate, regardless of the price. I hesitated for
a second, then said "fine" and helped him load them in his truck.

Eisboch

On Thu, 10 May 2007 03:33:48 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I guess everyone has to negotiate, regardless of the price

I know what you mean.

Then there's negotiation and negotiation. I'm not a negotiator in any
sense of the word. I always buy my cars from the same dealer (have
for over thirty years), I've bought my boat engines from the same
dealer (plus about 8 boats over 30 years), I always have car repairs
done by the same mechanic, etc. I value them as friends and business
men/women and they value me as a customer. If they say this is the
price, fine - I have faith that I'm not getting hosed and in fact, I'm
not. One the other hand, they have faith that I will return when
necessary and that I'm easy to deal with. There is an added advantage
that if I show up with a problem, it's taken care of immediately - I
don't expect that kind of treatment and insist that it be taken care
of in order so not to unconvinced others, but...

I just hate it when things like this happen. It's not that I expect
people to buy it if I work hard at giving them the information they
want - that's part of selling something.

I do expect to be treated with respect like any other normal human
being. This clown was talking about the auto jib furler. It's a
Harken furler, but he was all hot and bothered because it wasn't a CDI
which is more common thus better.

What?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know about a lot of things -
I'm not the Universal Renaissance Man. Larger cruising boats for
instance and I haven't sailed in years so there are gaps in my
knowledge. But I'm not stupid and I do know the basics and I do know
small boats. I can also research and talk to others who do know.

You respect me and I'll respect you and we'll get things done. I
insisted on it in my business dealings and I expect it personally.

~~ sigh ~~

Rant off. :)

[...]

Harken is a well known respected name. When someone buys a boat like a
Halman or Nordica 20 they shouldn't expect a performance boat.
Besides a small cockpit (better for sea passages) the only complaint I've
heard about the boats is that they are slow.
As you said, it's a perfect boat for gunkholing around and cruising on a
relaxed timetable.

On May 10, 8:28 am, "Don White" wrote:
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in messagenews:4h0643h9q7jmhi3ro3abvla1glrt7mrv2v@4ax .com...

[...]

Halmans need wind. They are capable for a voyage and can handle the wind and speed see the video: http://ochaye.strangepics.net/supersailing.wmv

and more information on Halmans he
http://www.nordicaboats.com/html/halmans.html

I am very interested in Halmans with trailers...butt...am afraid of
guns!

You respect me and I'll respect you and we'll get things done. I
insisted on it in my business dealings and I expect it personally.

~~ sigh ~~

Rant off. :)

Harken is a well known respected name. When someone buys a boat like a
Halman or Nordica 20 they shouldn't expect a performance boat.
Besides a small cockpit (better for sea passages) the only complaint I've
heard about the boats is that they are slow.
As you said, it's a perfect boat for gunkholing around and cruising on a
relaxed timetable.

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am very interested in Halmans with trailers...butt...am afraid of
guns!

Tom doesn't shoot anyone anymore...... at least not very often.
Just call the bunker ahead of time and he'll allow safe passage.