posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

On May 8, 11:07�am, Larry wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote roups.com:

One of the saltiest and most capable boaters I ever knew was cruising
his 38-footer until a week before he died. In fact, we were with him
when he started having chest pains one evening at the Silverdale town
dock. We took him to a hospital to get checked out. That was the
beginning of the end for him, he didn't survive the angioplasty
operation the following week. He was 83 or 84, and his wife a couple
of years *younger.

What a bunch of nonsense. *NOONE you'll ever meet on the dock over 60
years old should be allowed to be the primary muscle on any boat going
out of the harbor, out of sight of land. *I don't give a damn how many
years him and his wife got away with it. *An 80+ year old man CANNOT do
the physical work of a much younger man (or woman), required to handle
such emergencies in such conditions. *Hell, the 20-somethings are
overwhelmed by a lot of it.

Doesn't wash, no matter how many years they got away with it.

Larry
--

Under you standard, almost nobody old enough to be retired would be
allowed to go boating without a babysitter?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Chuck Gould wrote in
ups.com:

Under you standard, almost nobody old enough to be retired would be
allowed to go boating without a babysitter?

I sail offshore on an Amel 41 ketch. Cap'n Geoffrey is around 70. It's
his boat. I must admit we HAVE sailed offshore of Florida, just the two
of us, between Ft Lauderdale and Ponce Inlet, S of Daytona Beach.
Weather was perfect or we wouldn't have gone.

Neither one of us are "disabled" and either one of us can sail her safely
for a day, maybe two. But, neither one of us will go offshore over 2 in
our condition, which isn't really that bad, but we DO GET OVERTIRED IN 2
DAYS....too tired for safe sailing in a squall condition, which happens
often, here.

Our "crew" is SIX sailors, sometimes EIGHT, for passages Charleston to
FL, for example. Everyone gets SLEEP, noone gets DEAD. All hands are
available, including ours, in bad situations. The other four are late
20's to mid 40's, experienced sailors, physically fit. And we STILL have
been beaten up to exhaustion a few times offshore of Georgia.

I cannot imagine how an 80-year-old goat and his 78-year-old wife can be
called "fit" to sail a 38' boat under those circumstances...I just can't!

Larry